When To Use Battery Tender?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
So I got the '21 Freewheeler in mid July and here it is November in NJ and it's been 40 degrees for the last 3 days. Went out once regardless for a quick ride, but that's it. Supposed to go into the mid 60's soon, but being as this is the beginning of the crappy season when's a good time to resign myself to putting the battery tender on and should I even bother?

So I got the '21 Freewheeler in mid July and here it is November in NJ and it's been 40 degrees for the last 3 days. Went out once regardless for a quick ride, but that's it. Supposed to go into the mid 60's soon, but being as this is the beginning of the crappy season when's a good time to resign myself to putting the battery tender on and should I even bother?

If you are not going to ride the trike for weeks ....Just get a tender...[I use the eXtender maintainer]...And leave it on 24/7....I keep my trolling motor battery plugged on one all winter...And one i keep at camp for my Atv/Side-by...

Interesting. I never owned a battery tender until a few year ago and only ever used it when my Triumph was in the garage for weeks on end in cold weather. My Pan and my Lowrider would go 5 years on a battery and never saw a tender.

Interesting. I never owned a battery tender until a few year ago and only ever used it when my Triumph was in the garage for weeks on end in cold weather. My Pan and my Lowrider would go 5 years on a battery and never saw a tender.

Like all newer vechiles there is a drain on the batteries just sitting there without anything turnt on....Security systems...Clocks ETC....[Parasitic drain]...

Like all newer vechiles there is a drain on the batteries just sitting there without anything turnt on....Security systems...Clocks ETC....[Parasitic drain]...

Yeah, didn't have this stuff on my Pan or Shovel. So is there an official recommended down time before a tender should be plugged in?

Yeah, didn't have this stuff on my Pan or Shovel. So is there an official recommended down time before a tender should be plugged in?

Not 'official' but after a ride I plug in as soon as the bike has cooled down a bit. Sure can't hurt with a proper tender as it monitors and adjusts to prevent overcharging. Got one a few years back for my riding mower. Previously I had to get a new battery for it every spring after it sat over the winter but with the tender I get several years (and a lot less frustration) from the battery. I'm a 'true believer' in using a batter tender.

No....It can't hurt anything no matter when you plug it in...Also..Don't get one of those trickle chargers....If left on indefinitely they will rune the battery..

Just to add....The eXtenders model's i have are called Smart eXtender maintainers and Analyzer....ThumbUp...

While on the subject of storage how about fuel stabilizer? Should it go in when I'm sure the bike isn't going anywhere for several weeks in maybe January? What happens if there's an unexpected warm spell, will the stabilizer bother anything if I go riding?

While on the subject of storage how about fuel stabilizer? Should it go in when I'm sure the bike isn't going anywhere for several weeks in maybe January? What happens if there's an unexpected warm spell, will the stabilizer bother anything if I go riding?

The stabilizer wound't harm a thing...

I use stabilizer in my snow blower and generator and all stored gasoline ...With my tri-glide i every now and then will add a few oz's of sea foam....

Just make sure the /tender/maintainer/charger is an automatic one so as to not overcharge the battery but most are now days but it doesn't hurt to verify. The biggest reason a battery on the computer powered and operated systems on bikes these days tend to decline over a fairly long period (ie winter storage) is that the computer's have a need to keep the circuits energized due to keep-alive functions within the computer system and the good time radios and assorted other electrical devices we use these days is to keep the channel's or functions in the memory chips/circuits.

These days there's all kind of things using its own version of a keep-alive memory system and they require voltage although the need is minimal though do all add up and while the pull may be small it takes a toll over a period of time. Hopes this help to explain things a bit better. In winter the bike is usually not ridden much so little or no charging is done by the bikes charging system.

No....It can't hurt anything no matter when you plug it in...Also..Don't get one of those trickle chargers....If left on indefinitely they will rune the battery..

Just to add....The eXtenders model's i have are called

Smart eXtender maintainers and Analyzer
....ThumbUp...

I googled these exact words and didn’t know come up with anything resembling a charger/maintainer…. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

I use a battery tender, not a trickle charger, when the bike will be inactive for more than a couple of weeks. A battery that is in decent condition will have no problem sitting for a week or two. If, after that period of time the battery shows any sign of weakness, then you know it's time to replace. I used to keep my bike's batteries on maintainers all the time when not in riding but that caused me a problem. My battery had unknowingly gone bad. But because it was on a maintainer it had a surface charge that started the bike just fine. After riding a little over 300 miles and parking overnight, I had zero battery. Needed to replace it on the road which was not fun. These little bike batteries can give up life suddenly without warning. Better to have that happen at home than on the road. This is what works for me..... Jim

I googled these exact words and didn’t know come up with anything resembling a charger/maintainer…. Can you be more specific? Thanks.

Battery eXtender......Schumacher......3a....Sold at Home depot and tractor supply amoung others...

Model # SP 1356.....And or SP 1297....

Last edited:
Think about your battery as being full

Keeping it plugged in to a tender will keep your battery topped off

The electronics on your bike will thank you and your charging system will not have to work as hard each time you want to go for a ride

Fuel stabilizer will be a plus, and or topping off your tank with Ethanol free gas would also be a plus

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png