Looking for Opinions...motor size vs tranny

Captainnoncents

Jul 22, 2022
Hereford, AZ USA
I'm new to Harley's...and trikes. I'm looking at two 2007 Harley trikes. One has the 96 motor with a 6-speed tranny. The other has the 103 motor with a 5-speed tranny. Both are comparably priced and equipped, with around 20K mileage. I will be riding mostly two-up with my wife, at highway (65mph) and interstate (75mph) speeds. Which trike would you choose? Is there a significant difference in power between the two? Any sage advice is appreciated...

I'm new to Harley's...and trikes. I'm looking at two 2007 Harley trikes. One has the 96 motor with a 6-speed tranny. The other has the 103 motor with a 5-speed tranny. Both are comparably priced and equipped, with around 20K mileage. I will be riding mostly two-up with my wife, at highway (65mph) and interstate (75mph) speeds. Which trike would you choose? Is there a significant difference in power between the two? Any sage advice is appreciated...

I had a 2011 Triglide with the 103 and 6th speed…That was enough for me…

Just a side note I didn’t know the 2017 had the 103..? But like my wife always tells me..Bob You’re probably wrong 😑..

These are obviously conversions since Harley did not make a factory trike until model year 2009. What were they before conversion? Touring models hopefully. I am pretty certain the 2007 model year touring bikes (non-CVO which had the 110") all had the 6 speed tranny and the 96" engine. So I think the '2007' with the 103" and 5 speed is an earlier model. The 6 speed was first introduced in the Dyna line in 2006 and then the touring models in 2007. In the 2007 and 2008 model year 6 speed trannies first gear was actually higher than it was on the 5 speed and this caused some difficulty in starting off from a stop - especially when two up, loaded, etc. Make sure the tranny sprocket has been changed to a 30-tooth (which is what comes on the factory Harley trikes) from the 'standard' 32-tooth sprocket that came on the touring bikes. This will lower the gear ratio and make it much more pleasant.

2007 was a major model year for tightened EPA restrictions and lots of folks complained about the excessive heat on them - the CVO 110" engines especially but the 96" engines also. Both the 96 and the 103 have the 'stroker' crank with the 103 having larger jugs. The 103 was a solid engine most especially the Screamin' Eagle version which was in the 2006 CVO touring models.

I forgot to mention that the 103ci/5-speed was modified...the 96ci/6-speed is more stock. My take on the replies is to go with the 96ci/6-speed. I'm coming from a Kawasaki VN2000...a beast with tons of power (125ci). I'm a little concerned about the interstate/highway performance of a 96ci motor...especially in a trike.

I forgot to mention that the 103ci/5-speed was modified...the 96ci/6-speed is more stock. My take on the replies is to go with the 96ci/6-speed. I'm coming from a Kawasaki VN2000...a beast with tons of power (125ci). I'm a little concerned about the interstate/highway performance of a 96ci motor...especially in a trike.

Going from a 2000 to a 1573 which weighs more and has the profile of a out house..?..You might want to take a serious test ride..

Going from a 2000 to a 1573 which weighs more and has the profile of a out house..?..You might want to take a serious test ride..

I'd love to have a similar bike for a day of serious riding...the problem is how? Sellers are generally okay with a short "around the block"...I need to take it for a ride on I-10 with my wife. And I'm not expecting the same performance as the 2000...I just want a comfortable ride that isn't wheezing up an interstate incline and can pass a semi reasonably well in spite of a headwind.

I'd love to have a similar bike for a day of serious riding...the problem is how? Sellers are generally okay with a short "around the block"...I need to take it for a ride on I-10 with my wife. And I'm not expecting the same performance as the 2000...I just want a comfortable ride that isn't wheezing up an interstate incline and can pass a semi reasonably well in spite of a headwind.

What is the trike conversion brand?

I didn't ask the conversion brand. Here's a photo of the 6-speed.

292834663_7954997454510652_6562554287196264875_n.jpg

That is a good looking unit. I'm not familiar with the conversion brands but I'm sure someone on the forum will recognize it.

As long as the tranny sprocket has been changed to the 30 tooth I think it would be fine. Won't pull as strong as a 103, 107 or the newer 114 but it should perform acceptably. You can always throw a few $$ at it for upgrades if they've not been done already.

Are those decent conversion kits? And do you know what the little shifter knob thingy is on the second photo? It's got a black knob in the lower engine area. It also has a Pingle electric shifter...which I'm not crazy about.

RS on the tranny is a mechanical reverse, a BIG plus, no hassles with reverse any more

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png