Advice. Periodical Wobble

cScjhb

2500+ Posts
May 6, 2020
Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
I have an interment handle bar shake on my Honda/CSC trike. History; never a problem for many thousands of miles. Last summer before taking an extended trip I installed a new front tire. No issues for about 3,000 miles but at one point at highway speed the bike started to wobble to the point I thought I might have a flat tire (I didn't). Rode the next 1,000 miles with concerned caution.

The steering head bearings were slightly loose and had a bit of a notch. Had them replaced. No improvement! I had some worn A-arm bushings and a worn hime-joint so had that all replaced. No improvement! Periodic wobble still there. Although the bike does feel a bit tighter.

Today I rode on a new section of freeway that had the small grooves. Scary wobble! Thinking back, my first wobble last summer was on new grooved roadway as well.

What I'm thinking now is front tire. Inspecting the tire I don't see anything unusual except, something that looks like a pencil line around the circumference about 1/4 inch off center. It doesn't feel cut or grooved. It's just a line! Perhaps some internal belt separation that doesn't like grooved pavement? Long ago I had a 2-wheeler that did suffer from tire tread separation and it, at times, handled like a pregnant duck.

I'm picky about tire pressures and check/adjust it probably more than most. So, tonight I ordered a new front tire. Hoping this resolves the wobbles. I will stay off freeways until it is mounted.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Again, this issue only started after about 3,000 miles on a new tire. Thanks..... Jim

Check the run out on the front tire

We used (in the old days) 2 sledge hammers, jack the bike up so wheel is off the ground, set a hammer (head down handle up) close to wheel, mark the sidewall of tire with chalk, spin it and look at tire as it passes the handles

If your tire and or wheel has excessive run out you should see it

Check the run out on the front tire

We used (in the old days) 2 sledge hammers, jack the bike up so wheel is off the ground, set a hammer (head down handle up) close to wheel, mark the sidewall of tire with chalk, spin it and look at tire as it passes the handles

If your tire and or wheel has excessive run out you should see it

Thanks Jack. I will check that. Trying to wrap my mind around the problem. It seems to me that if it were run-out or balancing that I would experience the wobbles more consistently. I'm not. This seems to manifest itself on near new roads that are smooth and grooved. It really gets pronounced when letting off the throttle and slowing down (without applying the brakes). I'm willing to bite the bullet and invest in a new tire to rule out tire defects as the cause. The line (In the tread) around the tire has me real curious. It almost looks like a seam but it is 1/4 inch off center. And it does not wave or wiggle. It's straight as can be. The tire in question is a Michelin Commander 111. Wonder if others running this tire have that line? It's not something produced by rubbing anything. As mentioned before, it looks like a pencil line except it is there consistently as the tire is being ridden on. Thanks for input..... Jim

The steering head bearings were slightly loose and had a bit of a notch. Had them replaced. No improvement! I had some worn A-arm bushings and a worn hime-joint so had that all replaced. No improvement! Periodic wobble still there. Although the bike does feel a bit tighter.

these bearings need to be a tad tighter than stock... did the installer know that?

these bearings need to be a tad tighter than stock... did the installer know that?

Thanks for asking. Yes. Torqued to 35 ft/lbs. The shop I am using has built several hundred trikes. The work they have done has corrected things that needed attention. They walked me through what they were finding and showed me before taking things apart. I have an anal need to understand what's going on and fortunately my shop accommodates me with that. I don't regret the work that was done as it needs to happen for the trike to be right. I can't fault them for not being able to diagnose my periodic problem as the bike handles perfectly when doing normal road tests. It was just yesterday that I came to realize just what conditions were setting up my wobbles. I will address that with them tomorrow and see what they think. Meanwhile, my new tire is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday..... Jim

Hey Jim.

I have seen some unfavorable comments about the Commander III. Is it a rear reversed or a front. If it's a rear that wasn't reversed seems that could be an issue but seems it would be constant.

Kurt

Hey Jim.

I have seen some unfavorable comments about the Commander III. Is it a rear reversed or a front. If it's a rear that wasn't reversed seems that could be an issue but seems it would be constant.Kurt

That is a good point and also what replacement tire did you order?

Hey Jim.

I have seen some unfavorable comments about the Commander III. Is it a rear reversed or a front. If it's a rear that wasn't reversed seems that could be an issue but seems it would be constant.

Kurt

Hi Kurt......

The Commander is a front tire mounted as it should be. After some soul searching and a little research, I decided to go with a Bridgestone BT 46 rear tire and have it mounted backwards. I previously had a Michelin rear on the front that cupped quite a bit but seemed to actually get better as it wore down. The BT 46 has pretty much all good reviews with a very few exceptions for out-of-round tires. For better or worse, I'll give it a try.

Sorry to have missed you and Sally last Fall. Really looking forward to next time. Provided my retirement income outlasts the trike's gremlins.... Jim

Update

First of all, thank you all for your input. I had the tire run-out checked today and it was as perfect as can be. Changed the front tire anyway and there was no improvement. I have been paying close attention and trying to induce the wobbles under various conditions. What I did discover is that, with the bike parked, I can wiggle it back and forth using the passenger hand holds. When doing so, the motorcycle part of the trike moves a lot more than the trike fender area. So, shaking it may move the trike fenders 1/4 inch on the suspension. but the top trunk will move twice that amount. No clunking or other noises. But I may have some loose or broken trike conversion brackets or maybe even a failure of part of the motorcycle frame. I go in for exploratory surgery in a couple of weeks.....

Jim just for fun pull the side covers and check frame area underneath the battery and the corresponding area on the opposite side.

Will do. Thanks. I plan to get on my belly with a mirror and flashlight to look up-skirt at the trike. My thoughts at this point are, whatever is causing my problem has been magnified by steering head bearings, a hiem joint and A-arm bushings that were loose. Those are now corrected. I am committed to getting to the bottom of this and getting it fixed. Most of the time the trike rides good. At any speed I can slightly move the handlebars back and forth and the trike will fishtail. And this can also happen under certain road conditions all by itself. I do not like having unexpected anomalies in handling. Grrrrrrr.....

Jim, does your trike have heim joint rear end?

It may be the wobble you have is coming from the rear?

Yes it does. I now believe the wobble is coming from somewhere other than the front. One of my heim joints was shot and it was replaced. The other side was good and tight. I do have a new spare hime joint and bolt if that side ever needs attention.

You aren't by chance getting this occasional wobble when removing hands from the handle bar as the trike is coasting down towards a stop, etc.

That's not happening. I can take my hands off the handlebars and slow down without any problem. In fact on hot days that's just what I do (when it's safe to do so) to hold my hands out in the wind to dry the sweat......

Thanks.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png