Air cleaner

On my 2019 …It reads 950 plus or minus -50 rpm’s… so knowing how questionable the accuracy of Harleys gauges are a thousand RPMs plus or minus being seen would be normal… I think we’re getting into beating a dead horse territory now..

HD actually upped the RPM from 850 to 950 after the 17 models were introduced

This served 2 purposes, 1 to keep the charging system bumped up and 2 for better oil pump function

HD actually upped the RPM from 850 to 950 after the 17 models were introduced

This served 2 purposes, 1 to keep the charging system bumped up and 2 for better oil pump function

Ok everyone, took my bike out today and did everything I’ve been talking about. Said what the hell, took it home swaped air cleaners to the old one. She sits there and purrs like a kitten. Only thing I can think is if I’m using that high flow air cleaner I need some type of a tuner.

Ok everyone, took my bike out today and did everything I’ve been talking about. Said what the hell, took it home swaped air cleaners to the old one. She sits there and purrs like a kitten. Only thing I can think is if I’m using that high flow air cleaner I need some type of a tuner.

Mechanics; 101…Always Go back to the last thing you Monkeyed with……👍👍..

Purring like a kitten ? If you can make a Harley purr like a kitten you would void the Harley warranty ….😁..

Last edited:

Must be a huge lean condition, but I cannot see why as the M8 ECM has better adaptive learning than TC bikes had, also seeing how a 22 CVO comes stock with this air cleaner

I guess you will have to add fuel with a tuner to compensate

Must be a huge lean condition, but I cannot see why as the M8 ECM has better adaptive learning than TC bikes had, also seeing how a 22 CVO comes stock with this air cleaner

I guess you will have to add fuel with a tuner to compensate

I haven’t check the intake for that cap yet. Just went and checked cap is on. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice. Rich

Rich, in between all those test rides and just before you switched back to your original air box, did you by chance top off your tank?

The reason I'm asking is that last year I was on a trip out to Texas and picked up some bad premium at a Shell station. It made my M8 go into fast idle. Austin Harley dealer go me in right away and checked/tested everything. Finally they dumped tank and refilled with fresh gas. Problem solved.

Just thought I would toss it out there.

Also, prior to that (June 2021) when I originally had the headers installed plus the higher flow through air box the dealership put a tune on it. They said I would be much happier with the performance if they did the tune, which I was.

Rich, in between all those test rides and just before you switched back to your original air box, did you by chance top off your tank?

The reason I'm asking is that last year I was on a trip out to Texas and picked up some bad premium at a Shell station. It made my M8 go into fast idle. Austin Harley dealer go me in right away and checked/tested everything. Finally they dumped tank and refilled with fresh gas. Problem solved.

Just thought I would toss it out there.

Thanks but, I put fuel in and no change at all. Changed cleaner yesterday, in the garage now and fired her up and it’s fine. I don’t have a tuner on the bike because of what people said. I guess I’ll just have to wait and get a tuner. I’m looking at the FP3. I’m not planning on doing anything else, so I think that will work for my needs. Thanks

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long, but I finally got everything straightened out with my air cleaner. Stupid me, all I had to do was take the top bracket from the stock air cleaner off and everything mounted up perfect. And yes it runs great. No problems with back firer or sputtering off the line. I’m looking for a FP3 to fine tune and change the rev limiter. Thanks for all the advice as always Rich

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long, but I finally got everything straightened out with my air cleaner. Stupid me, all I had to do was take the top bracket from the stock air cleaner off and everything mounted up perfect. And yes it runs great. No problems with back firer or sputtering off the line. I’m looking for a FP3 to fine tune and change the rev limiter. Thanks for all the advice as always Rich

Check with Kevin @ D K Customs on pricing, also price check the Power Vision, IMO it is a better tuner that doubles as gauges

I have a PV tuner that came off my 17 Freewheeler, ot does not work on my 21 model, I would consider selling it but you would need to buy a new license for it

Check with Kevin @ D K Customs on pricing, also price check the Power Vision, IMO it is a better tuner that doubles as gauges

I have a PV tuner that came off my 17 Freewheeler, ot does not work on my 21 model, I would consider selling it but you would need to buy a new license for it

Thanks Jack, I think since I’m only planning on doing the Stage 1 the FP3 will change rev limiter and change air/fuel ratio. That should do it after an auto tune.

Rich - I’m really glad you posted this. Your symptoms of fast idle were not making sense, just because of an air cleaner change.

I’ve been running a FP3 for a few years and am happy with it. The support from V&H is excellent if you need it. The autotune works as advertised. As Jack noted, the PV gives you gauges but so does the FP3 if you mount your phone on the bars. Gauges can be a mixed blessing though. If you are not planning further engine mods that require a dyno tune, the FP3 is more than adequate.

Rich - I’m really glad you posted this. Your symptoms of fast idle were not making sense, just because of an air cleaner change.

I’ve been running a FP3 for a few years and am happy with it. The support from V&H is excellent if you need it. The autotune works as advertised. As Jack noted, the PV gives you gauges but so does the FP3 if you mount your phone on the bars. Gauges can be a mixed blessing though. If you are not planning further engine mods that require a dyno tune, the FP3 is more than adequate.

PanheadSteve, waiting for delivery on my FP3. Already contacted V&H and they gave me a tune to use.But, they said run 2 tanks of fuel thru it and should be fine. They said auto tune is not required? Any thoughts? Thanks Rich

PanheadSteve, waiting for delivery on my FP3. Already contacted V&H and they gave me a tune to use.But, they said run 2 tanks of fuel thru it and should be fine. They said auto tune is not required? Any thoughts? Thanks Rich

I'll step in here a little. I had a connection issue with my FP3. The V&H tech was great with that and gave me a tune to try. I asked him if I should run the auto tune and he suggested against it.. Said it could do more harm then good.

Just a FWIW.

I agree Smitty. I ran autotune to see what it recommended. You don’t have to accept the changes. Mine left a lot of cells untouched meaning I would need to manually fill them in. The map from V&H is what I am still running. I now have a headunit with gauges so I can monitor AFR live. On the freeway I’m seeing 11.2 - 11.4 which is rich enough to add a little fuel for cooling, but I’m still getting 40 mpg.

Rich try the V&H map. I’m sure you will like it.

I agree Smitty. I ran autotune to see what it recommended. You don’t have to accept the changes. Mine left a lot of cells untouched meaning I would need to manually fill them in. The map from V&H is what I am still running. I now have a headunit with gauges so I can monitor AFR live. On the freeway I’m seeing 11.2 - 11.4 which is rich enough to add a little fuel for cooling, but I’m still getting 40 mpg.

Rich try the V&H map. I’m sure you will like it.

Well guys it’s been awhile, I’ve been enjoying my three wheeler,especially the way it runs!

talked to the tech at V&H, gave me the map and then he tweaked it. He said to run two tanks of gas thru it and recommended not to do an auto tune. I am happy with the setup he gave me, only thing I changed was the rev limiter,was 6500, I brought it down to 6200. I haven’t hit the limiter yet. So, for the things that I did,decatted header, set of CVO mufflers with FuelSac baffles (2”) , highflow aircleaner and V&H’s FP3, I think it woke that 114 up! Very happy Thanks to all that gave me advice!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png