Loss of Freedom

59 Years ago today I gave up my freedom and joined the Navy. Got sworn in in Ashland Kentucky, Shot filght to Cincinnati Ohio and then a flight to San Diego via Los Angles.

Hi Ray,

You were ahead of me by 2 years and 2 days. I reported to MCRD, San Diego, on 6-22-66. Became a Marine for the rest of my life.....

Jim

Became a Marine for the rest of my life.....

I don't know about you, but considering all the other directions I could have gone, I'm glad I chose the military.

The one thing that it taught me in my travels was/is how lucky we are living in this country….

WOW! You got that right Rhino. Experiencing people living in grass huts sure made me appreciate peace and stability, a solid roof over my head, an actual bed, electricity, indoor plumbing, a variety of food on the table every night and a grocery store, a public school system, the telephone, television, a car in the garage, paved roads, immense prosperity compared to some countries, and probably more that you can think of. Did I leave anything out? In some third world countries fire wood is a commodity and if you own the pots and pans you cook in, you're considered wealthy. Are we a spoiled society?

Feb 19, 1968 I raised my hand at the AFEES station in Harrisburg Pa. Several weeks later I was a Marine. There was a bit of a problem going on in SouthEast Asia in 1968 so most of us figured that's where we would be heading. Left 14 years later as a Gunnery Sergeant. If that wasn't enough, the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Feb 19, 1968 I raised my hand at the AFEES station in Harrisburg Pa. Several weeks later I was a Marine. There was a bit of a problem going on in SouthEast Asia in 1968 so most of us figured that's where we would be heading. Left 14 years later as a Gunnery Sergeant. If that wasn't enough, the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Rich ‘ Welcome to Trike Talk…👍👍.

the day after my discharge I joined a police department and spent the next 30 years on that job....

Completely understand Gunny. Kinda like going from the frying pan into the fire, ain't it. You're a good man.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png