• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

New Brake Shoes Locking Up 2004 Lehman Goldwing

I've been following but have forgotten all the exact steps you've taken.I have 2 questions. 1 Was this just a maintenance shoe to begin with?No problems before. 2 Did you have the drums turned?

Thanks Marc... I started by replacing all my tires. Followed up by thinking it's a good time to replace the rear shoes since I haven't done so since 2015. Front and rear brakes have been performing flawlessly until this change. Instead of thinking pre-maintenance, I should've been thinking; If it's not broke, don't fix it. As they say, hindsight is a beautiful thing..... LOL. Yes, I just had the drums turned (post 124) while I was installing the new rear MC. Yes, this is the first road test since doing so. Muffler Man shop here has been around forever and does both mufflers and brakes. I did ask them if they could mic them when I took them in but, they stated that they didn't have a mic to do it with. They added, they're machine will automatically turn them properly.

For some reason I couldn't post all I had to say. Please see the following post.

Continuing from previous post;

Upon picking them up, I asked if both of them needed it and they stated yes but, not real bad. I didn't pursue further since I knew they have been turning drums for years. I don't have a mic to check them with but, it's definitely worth pursuing. Also, while hand turning the wheel, it rotates fairly easy with the exception of 1/4 of the full revolution. With that being said, the drag doesn't sound/feel evenly as it should. You certainly may be onto something about contact. When I first adjusted them for this last test run, I only gave them a very slight drag.

As far as brake parts, I used the same part numbers as Lehman recommended in their small parts list (below). I went by these part numbers back in 2015 when I installed the shoes and wheel cylinders. In a nut shell, the following is my ridiculous list:

Parts & Tests 1.jpeg

**Lehman Trike Parts List.jpg

Just got off the phone with Neihaus Cycle. I gave Brian in service the run down of what I've done. He stated that they could take a look at it but, I would have to leave it. In regards to the later disc brake kits, none are available. I asked if he still had any of the older Lehman trike installers there and he stated no. I then asked if they get many in for service and he stated, some. Not quite the answer I wanted but, I suspected it would be as answered. :Crap:

Just got off the phone with Neihaus Cycle. I gave Brian in service the run down of what I've done. He stated that they could take a look at it but, I would have to leave it. In regards to the later disc brake kits, none are available. I asked if he still had any of the older Lehman trike installers there and he stated no. I then asked if they get many in for service and he stated, some. Not quite the answer I wanted but, I suspected it would be as answered. :Crap:

Remove the rubber hoses & try to blow air through them in the return directions. Yes it's a lot of work but you will know if there good.

Remove the rubber hoses & try to blow air through them in the return directions. Yes it's a lot of work but you will know if there good.

Thanks.... I plan on doing that but first, I'm going to have to figure out how to get to the buried rubber lines. I know it's going to be a job therefore, I have to hold on that due to snow in the forecast and leaf cleanup here in Michigan. The weather is changing rapidly this week.... Thanks again, appreciate your help. Ray ThumbUp

Thanks.... I plan on doing that but first, I'm going to have to figure out how to get to the buried rubber lines. I know it's going to be a job therefore, I have to hold on that due to snow in the forecast and leaf cleanup here in Michigan. The weather is changing rapidly this week.... Thanks again, appreciate your help. Ray ThumbUp

Would removing the body make that easier?

Would removing the body make that easier?

It probably would.... It would have been nice if Lehman would have created an installation manual like they did for the Monarch ll. I'll take a look at that manual closer which should be similar to a degree. I'm sure it would be quite a job to take on. With this crappy weather coming, I'm not sure how much further I'm going to be able to take this project. I am going to get my hands on a SMC just to have one on hand if nothing else, but more than likely I'll install it. Thanks Jack, appreciate ya hanging in there with me big time! Ray ThumbUp

It probably would.... It would have been nice if Lehman would have created an installation manual like they did for the Monarch ll. I'll take a look at that manual closer which should be similar to a degree. I'm sure it would be quite a job to take on. With this crappy weather coming, I'm not sure how much further I'm going to be able to take this project. I am going to get my hands on a SMC just to have one on hand if nothing else, but more than likely I'll install it. Thanks Jack, appreciate ya hanging in there with me big time! Ray ThumbUp

Speedway Motors has a Wilwood disc brake kit that should fit, they have a video that shows how to measure the back spacing for the rotors & bolt pattern for the mount brackets Speedway part # 83511407146d Wilwood part # 140-7146-dfdli $ 1088.11. You all ready had the backing plates off, so installing the disc brakes would be the same pull the backing plates off install the disc brake brackets, install the rotors then the calipers, the hard part would be doing the brake hoses to the calipers you can buy the hoses from Speedway . Its not going to be easy, Not that bad. With what you have done so far you can do it. Good winter project . Easy For Me to Say

Speedway Motors has a Wilwood disc brake kit that should fit....

Thank you Dan for digging into this.... First, Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner. For some reason I didn't receive any notifications from you or Marc H.

Without doubt, I would love to do this conversion. Yes, pulling the axles and removing the backing plates wasn't that bad. The Ford measurements in the video from Speedway Motors seemed to straight forward (link below). As for the brake lines, you're right, it would be the hard part mainly due to the Lehman and Honda oem linked conversion mix. Bottom line is, I wouldn't know what to remove and/or to add. The closest brake line layout from Lehman is their disc brake installation for their Monarch ll (manual link below). I'd like to add, I safely downloaded this manual which is a great pdf. Unfortunately, the manual has many unavailable part numbers. Looking at the Honda oem and Lehman diagrams below, it shows that Lehman removed the Honda Proportional Valve. With that being said, there isn't any mentioning of this in their installation manual. I'm not going to give up on this idea, I just need to be better informed on the original Lehman layout. Thanks for leading me in the right direction towards disc brakes, I sincerely appreciate all your help. Ray ThumbUp

Measuring video is in the description picture mix; https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilw...rake-Kit-Ford-8-8-w-2-5-Off-5-Lug,106096.html

Lehman Monarch ll Installation Manual: The brake install is in two sections; Pages 14 - 16 and 24 - 26 https://www.manualslib.com/manual/932385/Lehman-Trikes-Monarch-Ii-Honda-Gl1800.html

Monarch ll.jpgHonda OEM Standard Brake System.jpg

It's a shame a simple brake shoe replacement has come to this.:Shrug:

I hear ya.... Way beyond ridiculous. Did this back in 2015 in less than 1-1/2 hours including the test. :Depressed:(Headbang)

- - - Updated - - -

I would figure out what is wrong in the hydraulic system before throwing money @ the disc conversion, unless you want even more surprises

Thanks Jack.... I totally agree. Going to disc's certainly wouldn't cure all the other inline brake lines and components. Too much BS for a brake system.... :ranting:

Thats why whenever a newcomer ask ''Im looking at buying a Lehman''....My reply is Don't do it......!!

What does Lehman have to do with this ? Do you think that maybe the Lehman kit caused the brakes to not work after 12 years ?

Thats why whenever a newcomer ask ''Im looking at buying a Lehman''....My reply is Don't do it......!!

What does Lehman have to do with this ? Do you think that maybe the Lehman kit caused the brakes to not work after 12 years ?

Thanks for pointing that out Dan.... No, Lehman has nothing to do with this problem. Actually, my trike is 19 years old which looks and runs beautiful with the exception of this brake issue. Simply put, parts wear out. Plus, to my understanding throughout the years, manufacturer's do not have to produce parts after 10 years. With that being said, I've had an additional 9 great years without any problems. My only problem with Lehman is not providing an installation manual as they did with the Monarch ll's. Thanks again. Ray ThumbUp

Thanks for pointing that out Dan.... No, Lehman has nothing to do with this problem. Actually, my trike is 19 years old which looks and runs beautiful with the exception of this brake issue. Simply put, parts wear out. Plus, to my understanding throughout the years, manufacturer's do not have to produce parts after 10 years. With that being said, I've had an additional 9 great years without any problems. My only problem with Lehman is not providing an installation manual as they did with the Monarch ll's. Thanks again. Ray ThumbUp

My thought is that 1 of the rubber hoses is bad ? Or you are just over looking something. I don't mean this in a bad way, some else might wilk up to it look at it, & fix it in a few minutes? Have had that Done to me more than I want to admit. Did you try backing off on the shoes so there is no drag on them? is the rear pedal right up there on the first pump? Good Luck

- - - Updated - - -

IF IT WAS NOT FOR LEHMAN THERE WOULD BE NO TRI GLIDE OR FREE WHEELER .

My thought is that 1 of the rubber hoses is bad ? Or you are just over looking something. I don't mean this in a bad way, some else might wilk up to it look at it, & fix it in a few minutes? Have had that Done to me more than I want to admit. Did you try backing off on the shoes so there is no drag on them? is the rear pedal right up there on the first pump? Good Luck

Thanks.... I totally agree, it may be as simple as a hose. I don't know what I could be overlooking but, like you said, someone else might be able to look at it and fix it.... Been there and done that as well....LOL. Once I get the new SMC installed, I'm going to take the old one apart and visually inspect it. There has been other Honda riders that have had my similar problem in which the small pin hole passages were plugged in the SMC for example (link below). It's recommended to replace the entire SMC instead of rebuilding it. I really have my hopes up on this one. In regards to checking my rubber brake lines with compressed air, I would, but my good air compressor is 180 miles away due to remodeling my cabin up north.... Damn.

I have an older one here that's kept in the pole barn but, it probably has some moisture in it as well as the air hose. I haven't backed off the shoes yet but, it will be the first thing I do. In regards to the pedal, it's close to being right there at the top on the first pump. This has always been somewhat normal on the Honda Goldwings through the years. Thanks again, appreciate the help. Ray ThumbUp

Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) Brake Lock-up; https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index...ar-brake-locking-up-rear-center-piston-fixed/

IF IT WAS NOT FOR LEHMAN THERE WOULD BE NO TRI GLIDE OR FREE WHEELER .

Harley Davidson made Trikes (Servi-Cars)Way back in 1932.....[/QUOTE]

Not much has changed! same rough ride, reverse worked back then :laugh:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png