What to look for when checking out a used '10 Triglide FLHTCUTG

Reaction score
What to look for when checking out a used '10 Triglide FLHTCUTG

Hi All, I'll be looking at a '10 Triglide this afternoon. I know how to check out a regular motorcycle (54 years of riding exp), but I'm new to trikes. I would appreciate any suggestions what to look for.

Thanks!

Hi All, I'll be looking at a '10 Triglide this afternoon. I know how to check out a regular motorcycle (54 years of riding exp), but I'm new to trikes. I would appreciate any suggestions what to look for.

Thanks!

See if the reverse works try it a few times…That is first.. if it doesn’t work and you want to work that could cost you upwards of $1500… Then take it for a test ride?

#1 on what Bob said

I would also check the suspension, feel of the brakes, check the belt

Shake the body side to side and listen for clunking sounds

#10 is the rear trac rod, it tends to make noise when wearing out the rod ends

Medium

AS far as reverse, they don't last for 3 good size hills when new , so just plan on a mechanical one to start with. a 2010 if it has not had motor work, it probably needs cam chain tensioners, timing chains, oil pump, a compensator. The 09 & 10 had the smaller rear rotors & pads. check the tires see how old they are, may have good thread but they could be 10 & years old. See if there has been any updates on the stock air shocks, good new shocks will set you back $ 1000. plus. You would be so much better off buying a newer year because of the updates they have done sense 2010.

AS far as reverse, they don't last for 3 good size hills when new , so just plan on a mechanical one to start with. a 2010 if it has not had motor work, it probably needs cam chain tensioners, timing chains, oil pump, a compensator. The 09 & 10 had the smaller rear rotors & pads. check the tires see how old they are, may have good thread but they could be 10 & years old. See if there has been any updates on the stock air shocks, good new shocks will set you back $ 1000. plus. You would be so much better off buying a newer year because of the updates they have done sense 2010.

Congratulations Road Dog, you gave a Tri Glide answer without bashing it!

You must be having an off day. 😂

Depends on mileage, I wouldn’t worry about The cam chain tensioner if it’s under 75000 miles, I changed mine at 72000 and they looked like new. Compensator i would ask if it’s been replaced.they can last a long time. Shocks will suck, reverse motor, if it works a few time you might be good for a while. Might just need to rebuild the motor, I did for like $75. It’s a starter motor. Side to side, clunking . Might be the panard bar or the shaft bearings. Get a Service manual and a trike manual.

Congratulations Road Dog, you gave a Tri Glide answer without bashing it!

You must be having an off day. 😂

Ya The problem is MOST PEOPLE CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH :xzqxz:

2010 FLHXXX

Depends on mileage, I wouldn’t worry about The cam chain tensioner if it’s under 75000 miles, I changed mine at 72000 and they looked like new. Compensator i would ask if it’s been replaced.they can last a long time. Shocks will suck, reverse motor, if it works a few time you might be good for a while. Might just need to rebuild the motor, I did for like $75. It’s a starter motor. Side to side, clunking . Might be the panard bar or the shaft bearings. Get a Service manual and a trike manual.

I basically agree, bought my ‘10 new and just traded it in (May) for thr 114” Anniversary edition. Replaced the compensator twice but never did have an issue with thr reverse motor, still had original shocks (but most all miles were solo), also early on replaced the PAN (torsion bar) on warranty.

Loved that trike!

:Coffee:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png