Torque cam

molokaimike

150+ Posts
Mar 28, 2020
Surprise, AZ, USA
I'm sure this topic was discussed earlier but I have been away for a while. I'm in the market for a torque cam for my TG. I have a 2020 TG with the 114 M8 engine, stock air cleaner, gutted stock headpipe with V&H slip ons. Most of my riding is highway and my average cruise speed is 3500 RPM. I'm not looking for a high speed cam but with me and the trike I'm pushing about 1500 pounds and would like a cam to boost low end torque. My plan is to upgrade the air cleaner and I will most likely have to add a tuner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, here's the 1st of many opinions you're gonna get. I did my own stage II upgrade in my garage. I did a lot of research.

In the end I stuck with the HD SE torque cam. It's a 447.

I use the SE tuner. It doesn't stay on the bike, and there is no cell phone app for it. If I want to re-tune my 2018 M8 I have to use the tuner and a laptop. Simple, really. Connect the tuner, go for a ride, download the data to the PC and then upload the new tune. I can tweak almost anything I want, but I have done it twice and loaded the recommended tune.

I'm using the DK Customs outlaw air box and HD SE Street Cannon mufflers.

While I was in the motor I also upgraded the oil pump and cam plate and lifters.

I'm very happy with the performance and can seriously tell the difference.

Good luck.

I had the H-D torque cam put in my 2023 TG right after I hit the 500 mile break-in. I went with the H-D air cleaner maintaining the stock cover. Tuner stays on the trike. I went with V & H Eliminators for mufflers. I went this route to keep everything under warranty. Very happy with results. It gets better gas mileage than my 2017 107ci with the same mods.

On my 2017 I went with the S&S 465 cam and really glad I did. As you can see it is making over 100 ft lbs of torque at about 2000 rpm.

Attachments

• WIN_20210606_06_28_14_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210606_06_28_14_Pro.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 26
I had put a Zippers Red Shift 468 in mine, Lots of low end torque, I have done two of my friends with them. really good cam. when you do it you should upgrade the oil pump, cam plate & lifters, I always pull the rocker covers & use the stock push rods, I don't like adjustable push rods. pulling the rocker covers is a pain in the ASS ! Good Luck

I'm sure this topic was discussed earlier but I have been away for a while. I'm in the market for a torque cam for my TG. I have a 2020 TG with the 114 M8 engine, stock air cleaner, gutted stock headpipe with V&H slip ons. Most of my riding is highway and my average cruise speed is 3500 RPM. I'm not looking for a high speed cam but with me and the trike I'm pushing about 1500 pounds and would like a cam to boost low end torque. My plan is to upgrade the air cleaner and I will most likely have to add a tuner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to someone or even 2 sources for motor work who knows these motors, dealer or indy. Tell them what you have and what you want to work towards. Get a plan that fits your needs. Then proceed.

I started tinkering with my 2019 M8 trying to get "a little" more out of it by having headers put on, some different mufflers and a tune. Wasted my money because even though it ran better/stronger it just wasn't enough.

Now I am at 117 Hp and 140 max torque (130 ci). Went through a dealer and it cost a little, but my point is if you want to feel like you're actually riding a 900 Kawaski again then you might as well go all the way. I have two friends who have had their trikes done at the same dealership and all three of us agree that it was worth every penny.

Just food for thought.

Thanks Kevin, I enjoyed the video and the Max-Cell cam sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Do you know distributors that sell them, I searched around and can't find anyone who sells them.

Mike

There are very few that sell them, and you cannot buy them direct.

I got mine from Jamie at J&T VTwin Repair. 901-584-5760

Kevin

I just had a woods 22xe put in my 114 freewheeler. Gutted the cat and kept the stock mufflers. Fuelmoto tune using powervision.

VERY happy with both the performance increase and the sound.

There are very few that sell them, and you cannot buy them direct.

I got mine from Jamie at J&T VTwin Repair. 901-584-5760

Kevin

I talked to Jamie and he said he can't sell retail to me. He suggested the idea of selling it to DK and have DK sell it to me. I talked to the lady at DK and was told that is not an option. :gah:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png