trailer wiring question

Southern Man

Reaction score
Need to install the plug on the bike.
2008 Honda gl1800 with Champion Kit.

The bikes came with a plugless pigtail under the back end.

6 wires.
brown
blue
yellow
green
black
red

the trailer only has 4 and a flat plug
white = ground
yellow
green
brown

(1) Question, which color is ground on the bike?
(2) Queston, do I hook everything eese color to color and leave 2 wires out?

I have looked at these all day long but I am still confused. The link you posted takes me to an adapter that has 5 wires on the bike side and 4 wires on the trailer side.

My trike has 6 wires and none of them are white, the link you posted showes a white grouod in the bike side.

I called Champion today but noone must be interested in helping unless it is with new sales. I am still waiting on a callback.

You would think that if a trailer hitch was installed from the get go it would have had a plug installed too.

The following is from the Champion installation book.
Running Lights - Brown
Brake Lights - Red
Right turn - Green
Left turn - Yellow
Accessory (12v+) Blue
Ground - Black

Thanks TRike leader, I guess I will get a 5-4 adapter and leave the bule wire out of the equation.

ON a second thought could I hardwire a 6 pin female plug and use a 6-4 plug adapter and it all be a little neater.

I would use a volt meter and check to see if all 6 of your wires are hook wired up.
They may have used a 6 wire harness and left one not hooked up.
I can not find any reference to 6 wires on the 1800 anywhere.

If you have a utility light in the trailer or want to hook up a 12volt cigar lighter on the trailer the blue wire would be a benefit. There are 6 wire to 4 wire adapters that can be used. :wtg:

I have a Champion Kit and if there is anything they did right it was wiring the trailer harness correctly.

Also, yes you can get a 6 pin to a 4 flat adapter.

I took a side bolt out of the hitch and mounted the plate for the plug vs drilling through the fiberglass. It took about 15 minutes.

Just be forewarned that the 6-pin to 4-pin, or even the 5-pin to 4-pin adapters both will have an electronic converter in line to make the brake signal wiring work with through the same lamps as the turn signals. No big deal, but a few more bucks cost-wise.

Got er done today.

5 wire to 4 wire converter @ AutoZone $9
4 wire snap together end @ AutoZone $6

The hitch had mounting holes that was an exact match to the converter.
Left the blue wire out of the mix.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png