Newcomer...would appreciate advice

Aug 22, 2011
Denver
Hi,

I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 60 years. I currently own a wonderful Yamaha FJR1300 and just reluctantly sold my Honda CRF250x dirt bike. Unfortunately I have developed a severe case of neuropathy in my legs which has left me without much strength in my calves and ankles. No problem when I am up and going, but I have fallen twice standing still with the large bike on top of me. Not fun...and my wife wants me to quit riding.

I am not really ready to give up and want to consider the alternatives. Obviously a trike might be in the cards. Question is what kind to try to buy? And where to look for one? A Gold Wing Trike seems a bit out of my price range. I would like to consider something under $10k...perhaps significantly under that price. I would appreciate any input you can offer. I have looked at several things on Craigslist. I am even considering one of those crazy Italian 3-wheeled Piaggio scooters. I read that, with their innovative steering geometry, they handle and LEAN like a traditional 2-wheeler. Any of you ever ride one? They come in 250, 400, and 500 cc flavors. All singles and without a clutch! Not exactly like my FJR, but they do sound like fun. And they are allegedly stable.

I live in Colorado and would like to ride in the mountains as well as on the flats. I don't plan any long iron-butt rides...and probably mostly will ride one-up. My wife hates motorcycles! I don't have a garage and would need to store it under a cover. Is that viable?

I don't want to get too long-winded and ask too many questions of you. I would love to hear a bit about your riding experience. Are the trikes fun to ride? I know that many of you are diehard trike riders so I would expect you might have a lot to share.

Thanks for anything you can share with me.

Peter Warren
Denver, Colorado

I'm not familiar with your Yamaha, bu have you considered just adding a trike kit to it? As far as no garage, I have stored my '10 Tri-Glide outside under a cover since I purchased it 14 months ago. It was a little hard start under 20'F but ran fine after a minute of warmup time (-3'F was lowest temp). And did I mention that the positraction type rear end handled snow not badly (same as a car without abs brakes).

Those MP3 scooters you speak of are not cheap. Go look before you fall in love with one . A good used Goldwing even as old as a 1988 or 90 would make you a fine trike. $10,000 is sort a low ball price to be looking for a trike . did u consider a Voyager add on or a tow pac . maybe a Frankenstein kit might fit the bill . Check with some of our sponsors TTT might be a good starting point

Hi,

I have been riding motorcycles for nearly 60 years. I currently own a wonderful Yamaha FJR1300 and just reluctantly sold my Honda CRF250x dirt bike. Unfortunately I have developed a severe case of neuropathy in my legs which has left me without much strength in my calves and ankles. No problem when I am up and going, but I have fallen twice standing still with the large bike on top of me. Not fun...and my wife wants me to quit riding.

I am not really ready to give up and want to consider the alternatives. Obviously a trike might be in the cards. Question is what kind to try to buy? And where to look for one? A Gold Wing Trike seems a bit out of my price range. I would like to consider something under $10k...perhaps significantly under that price. I would appreciate any input you can offer. I have looked at several things on Craigslist. I am even considering one of those crazy Italian 3-wheeled Piaggio scooters. I read that, with their innovative steering geometry, they handle and LEAN like a traditional 2-wheeler. Any of you ever ride one? They come in 250, 400, and 500 cc flavors. All singles and without a clutch! Not exactly like my FJR, but they do sound like fun. And they are allegedly stable.

I live in Colorado and would like to ride in the mountains as well as on the flats. I don't plan any long iron-butt rides...and probably mostly will ride one-up. My wife hates motorcycles! I don't have a garage and would need to store it under a cover. Is that viable?

I don't want to get too long-winded and ask too many questions of you. I would love to hear a bit about your riding experience. Are the trikes fun to ride? I know that many of you are diehard trike riders so I would expect you might have a lot to share.

Peter Warren
Denver, Colorado

welcome aboard Peter. Also you might want to look at a triked scooter like the Burgman 650 or the Silverwing. One of our sponcers Trinity Trikes does that conversion. The price is near the 10K mark on the high side, but it will be hard to get a decent trike for less. Good Luck

Hi,

Peter Warren
Denver, Colorado

Piaggio builds a good machine and although Ive never ridden one they do look like fun. Ive seen some decent deals on leftover new ones and heres an MP3- 500cc currently running on ebay: Piaggio MP3 500 Scooter | eBay

WELCOME to TRIKE TALK.....I've ridden the Piaggios...Great Handlers, a Lota' Fun. They have a switch that plants them upright at Traffic Lights, etc., then basically a "3 wheeled 2-wheeler" goin' down the road.....ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webb Benninghoven

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webb Benninghoven
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png