Additional rear lights for Valkyrie Interstate Trike

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate with a California side car trike kit. It still has the original upper trunk. I am looking for advice on light kits to add to back to improve visibility by cars etc behind me. Any suggestions?

Also, I am not handy so I would want to have the lights installed. Any suggestions on cost?

One thing I've found when trying to obtain lights for the upper trunk (in my case I wanted to install brake LED's) you have to watch for the curvature of the trunk surface that mates up to the light... the lights usually have a straight/flat back surface, and the trunk will be slightly curved...it's like you need some kind of gasket to make up for the difference. Just saying- beware... I built my own.

The lights on the I/S trunk are fitted in from the bottom, not the back of the lens housing, there by pretty much eliminating a direct replacement LED bulb. At least I have not been able to find anything that will work, and I have been looking for awhile. I did add an LED flexible strip to the trunk surface, just below the lid joint, tapped into the brake light wire. This only functions as a brake light. I think maybe there are strips out there that will also act as running lights. You could also mount a second strip, adjacent to the first, (below??) wired to the running lights. Installation only requires some good adhesive, a small drill bit and removal/installation of the trunk liner to access the wiring. Not a real hard job. If you go with a commercially produced unit as suggested above, you will need to get someone who knows about circuits, as the lights on the Valk trunk are only stop & running light. There is some good info on this subject over on the VRCC board (vrcc.com) then click on shoptalk. Stan

Don't have an I/S trike, but have an I/S.

This is what I put on mine:

Hyperlites Flashing led motorcycle brake lights, runing lights, and turn signals, Standard Dual Function

I used some aluminum angle and mounted them under the truck using 3M body moulding tape. They have stayed attached with no issues for over 2 years.

I put the tape on both sides of the aluminum angle and stuck them against the lower underside of trunk and against the metal trunk mount that runs crossways.

I tapped into the light in the trunk to power them.

Gives great visibility.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png