@#$%^&* Torx Screws !

Jun 18, 2015
West Michigan
Having a devil of a time trying to install my trailer hitch on the TriGlide. Step 1 is to remove the two T40 Torx screws on the back cross frame member. Supposedly, these are locktited so the instructions say to heat the screw with a torch first. Well, after 3 or 4 attempts, I have had no luck and cannot get them to budge. :gah:Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed.......:confused:

Having a devil of a time trying to install my trailer hitch on the TriGlide. Step 1 is to remove the two T40 Torx screws on the back cross frame member. Supposedly, these are locktited so the instructions say to heat the screw with a torch first. Well, after 3 or 4 attempts, I have had no luck and cannot get them to budge. :gah:Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed.......:confused:

Heat and a hammer/drill screw gun....That should shock them off...:Shrug:

I removed mine without heat. I installed a hitch master and they provided and torx ratchet socket. It took some effort, but they broke free. The hardest part for me was re threading the back muffler bolt. Took me an hour on one of them.

Thanks to all for the tips and comments. Since I don't own an impact wrench, guess a visit to my dealer is in order. Was hoping I could handle this install without help, it is fairly straightforward once those dang screws are out.........

Thanks to all for the tips and comments. Since I don't own an impact wrench, guess a visit to my dealer is in order. Was hoping I could handle this install without help, it is fairly straightforward once those dang screws are out.........

I'm thinking the cost of an impact wrench will be less than what the dealer will charge you...plus in the end you will have the work done, AND own an impact wrench.

Kevin

Try a soldering gun tip to the screw head. More concentration of heat than a torch and less chance of over heating surrounding areas.

Very good point from Kevin about the cost of an impact gun....

Good luck.

Doug

screws

I'm thinking the cost of an impact wrench will be less than what the dealer will charge you...plus in the end you will have the work done, AND own an impact wrench.

Kevin

why not just rent a impact wrench for a few bucks Also if you take it to a dealer they might flag your warranty (if you still have one that is ) for installing a trailer hitch

Just me... If i need a tool even if i think it will be used just once , I buy it if you live long enough and work on things you'll find a use for it again...You can get a drill gun and a drill driver combo 18v for under a hundred...

Is there a Home depot or Lowes in close proximity ? They do rent tools. Other option would be a body shop or car repair shop. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished with a crisp $20 bill.

Will see if I can beg, borrow, or steal (well maybe not steal) an impact wrench and go from there......ThumbUp

One additional question.....do the mufflers have to be moved? With their position, doesn't seem to be a straight shot at the screws. If so, what is the method to move them. :confused:

Will see if I can beg, borrow, or steal (well maybe not steal) an impact wrench and go from there......ThumbUp

One additional question.....do the mufflers have to be moved? With their position, doesn't seem to be a straight shot at the screws. If so, what is the method to move them. :confused:

I removed both muffler hanger bolts on each side and loosened where the mufflers clamp to the pipes. That gave me enough room to get the torx socket on the torx bolt after moving the mufflers. I did not have to remove them, but just reposition them to make the access. Rethreading the back bolt was very difficult but once you get it threaded a box end wrench works fine.

Poor maligned TORX head bolts and screws. What would we have to cuss about with our many projects we endeavor to install on our trikes. How boring would life be ? Oh ............ Wait ........... Then the 'ol lady would figure that with all the extra time on my hands I could help her around the house ....................:gah:.................:D

Poor maligned TORX head bolts and screws. What would we have to cuss about with our many projects we endeavor to install on our trikes. How boring would life be ? Oh ............ Wait ........... Then the 'ol lady would figure that with all the extra time on my hands I could help her around the house ....................:gah:.................:D

Remember the Wife rules....And you have to have Rules, Otherwise we would all be having way too much fun... :Shrug:

Remember to have the torx bit fully into the screw head & held straight with a bit of pressure on it before you pull the trigger on the impact wrench or you will be exercising a few more expletive & loud verbiage !

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png