2008 GL1800 bad rear wheel bearings.

Took my trike to dealer today to have the brake recall done. Service manager called to tell me it was done but when they drove it they felt a vibration and when they checked found the rear wheels bearings bad. This has a RoadSmith kit. What I need to know is how hard it is to replace the bearings and are any special tools needed?

Thanks Dannie

1. Hubs are Volkswagen

2. from owner's manual: Any full-service automotive repair facility can call us, toll free, at 800.331.0705 and we will be happy to answer their questions on how to service or repair the converted portion of the Trike.

3. Call RS for support. They can verify and tell you what needs to be done.

Good luck.

Thought I would give a update in this. I ordered new bearings and seals from Rock Auto and when the arrived( I did not want to have the trike down while I waited on parts) I pulled the wheels and what I found was not bad bearings but the nut holding the stub axel was only finger tight. It is suppose to be tightened to at least 250 ft. lb. Did about a 60 mi. ride and things are a lot better.

Thought I would give a update in this. I ordered new bearings and seals from Rock Auto and when the arrived( I did not want to have the trike down while I waited on parts) I pulled the wheels and what I found was not bad bearings but the nut holding the stub axel was only finger tight. It is suppose to be tightened to at least 250 ft. lb. Did about a 60 mi. ride and things are a lot better.

Thanks Dan!!! That is good news for you and the rest of us Roadsmith owners. I thought it strange the bearings went bad but that happens so I wasn't doubting it. I think that may become part of my winter maintenance/inspection schedule. :xszpv: :xszpv:

This had to be done by someone who thought they knew what they were doing, there were new carter pins in the axels. Might have thought it was done like a car front wheel is the only thing I can thing of as to why it was done that way.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeeMan
Back