A Day in the Life...

Must be a full moon.. of course, around my part of the world its a full moon everyday...the twits are always behind the wheel terrorizing the rest of us. Plus the wind spirits mess with the static electricity and screw up everything.

When the serious wind is blowing all the crazies are out. Tumbleweeds crossing the road causes the locals just hit them and keep on going. Now the transplants, when the wind blows tumbleweeds, they stop in the middle of the road or try to dodge the moving tumbleweeds and will run over you. Jim

Must be a full moon.. of course, around my part of the world its a full moon everyday...the twits are always behind the wheel terrorizing the rest of us. Plus the wind spirits mess with the static electricity and screw up everything.

Yeah, I have it pretty nice with relatively little traffic for my daily commute.

It has been windy...real windy, but no significant static electricity... very weird all 3 fob batteries going bad at the same time.

Be careful out there and thank you for the reminder I asked my Bride to pick up a couple new 2032's to be installed when winter cover comes off. And I pray that is soon I am so much missing that ride, and she misses using her new Challenger R/TView attachment 54115View attachment 54116

Hope you get to ride soon!!!!

When the serious wind is blowing all the crazies are out. Tumbleweeds crossing the road causes the locals just hit them and keep on going. Now the transplants, when the wind blows tumbleweeds, they stop in the middle of the road or try to dodge the moving tumbleweeds and will run over you. Jim

I can imagine...some of those suckers are big too. We have a few blow across the road in front of us when running thru NM and AZ.

Hadn't thought about cagers swerving to miss them and running into other cages or bikes/trikes. But I try and stay away from them (cagers that is), no matter what!

Kevin

Been meaning to do this for over a year...finally got around to it yesterday. (it was raining, so it made it an easy choice to not ride, but get some work done)

:)

Zerk%20fitting.jpg

Between the loose factory tolerances, and the quality metal, I had a pretty good rattle going between the shifter shaft and the case bore.

Remove linkage, remove shift arm, remove shifter pegs and shaft. Drill hole, thread hole, install Zerk fitting. Clean all metal out. Put back together. Grease gun to Zerk.

Not anymore! All quiet now. :)

Kevin

Been meaning to do this for over a year...finally got around to it yesterday. (it was raining, so it made it an easy choice to not ride, but get some work done)

:)

Zerk%20fitting.jpg

Between the loose factory tolerances, and the quality metal, I had a pretty good rattle going between the shifter shaft and the case bore.

Remove linkage, remove shift arm, remove shifter pegs and shaft. Drill hole, thread hole, install Zerk fitting. Clean all metal out. Put back together. Grease gun to Zerk.

Not anymore! All quiet now. :)

Kevin
Kevin I need to replace my shifter shaft the front shift lever is loose and cannot be tighten up anymore. I believe I will drill and tape mine also simple to do and make things much better. Thank you for the post. :D Ride safe Fred

Kevin I need to replace my shifter shaft the front shift lever is loose and cannot be tighten up anymore. I believe I will drill and tape mine also simple to do and make things much better. Thank you for the post. :D Ride safe Fred

I hear ya...I have had trouble with mine in the past also. Finally have a good combo of arm and shaft that has stayed tight for the last 25K+ miles.

Kevin

I wonder how much the MOCO saved not drilling the shifter shaft and the rear brake pedal

1 of the first things I did to both of my Freewheelers;)

I was at Bumpus HD a few days ago and saw this-

Tilting%20Trike%202.jpg

Been seeing videos and photos of the Tilting Motor Works conversion for years.

Tilting%20Trike%205.jpg

This is the first time I've seen one in person.

Tilting%20Trike%201.jpg

It is quite a bit narrower than the Tri-Glide and Freewheeler.

Tilting%20Trike%203.jpg

While I did not do a test ride (no time when I was there), I do plan on doing one soon. It seems like an alternative for those that need/want 3 wheels, but still want to be able to lean over in the curves.

There is a switch on the handlebars-

Tilting%20Trike%204.jpg

When it is turned on, the hydraulic system goes on, and anytime the bike is under 7 mph the hydraulics bring the bike straight up.

Tilting%20Trike%206.jpg

You can mount the bike when it is on the jiffy, push the button, and it will bring it up off the jiffy, and hold it up until your speed exceeds 7 mph.

Tilting%20Trike%207.jpg

It appear to be of solid construction, & has independent suspension...

Tilting%20Trike%209.jpg

...if the bike has ABS, the front brakes tie into it, so all three wheels are ABS.

Tilting%20Trike%208.jpg

I remember first looking at these 7-8 years ago. Good to see they finally got it to market.

Looking forward to a test ride. :)

Kevin

Yesterday was so busy it was a blur. Rode in at 7am, and rode home after the sun was set at 8pm.

Today dawned warm. Switched from leather over to my mesh jacket.

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlL0NGLTUwNS1qYWNrZXQtZnJvbnQtMS5qcGc=_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

Sometimes it is temping to not wear a jacket, but 6-7 years ago, in August, I hit the asphalt at 60 mph and my mesh jacket saved my skin, literally.

Later in the year, when it gets into the 90's and 100's, I'll get the mesh jacket wet before riding, and it does a really good job of keeping me cool.

When it's hot, what do you wear, and why?

Kevin

I never wore a jacket during the summer mounts but since I'm senior now my thoughts are changing. With all your riding experience would you recommend a particular manufacture or brand which would not only keep you cool but also quality and easy to cleaning. Thanks DJ

Yesterday was so busy it was a blur. Rode in at 7am, and rode home after the sun was set at 8pm.

Today dawned warm. Switched from leather over to my mesh jacket.

L2ltYWdlcy9wcm9kdWN0L2xhcmdlL0NGLTUwNS1qYWNrZXQtZnJvbnQtMS5qcGc=_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

Sometimes it is temping to not wear a jacket, but 6-7 years ago, in August, I hit the asphalt at 60 mph and my mesh jacket saved my skin, literally.

Later in the year, when it gets into the 90's and 100's, I'll get the mesh jacket wet before riding, and it does a really good job of keeping me cool.

When it's hot, what do you wear, and why?

Kevin

I never wore a jacket during the summer mounts but since I'm senior now my thoughts are changing. With all your riding experience would you recommend a particular manufacture or brand which would not only keep you cool but also quality and easy to cleaning. Thanks DJ

I've only had two mesh jackets over the last 13 years. The one that I slid along the asphalt with for 150 ft. and the one I have now.

Got them both at leatherup.com for well under $100 each. They have body armor, they wash easily, and they work.

The one I have now is a Vega...and I've had it since 2010 or 2011.

There are so many to choose from...can't say which is best...I know that I've been happy with both of mine.

Mary wore her first one out, after 10 years or so, she now has an Xelement that is super lightweight (but still has body armor.

Kevin

I have a little fender repair I need to do on the TG.

So last night when I got home I removed the front fender to bring it into the shop.

I could not get to the fendertip light connection without removing the outer fairing. So off it came! Wow! I've killed a LOT of bugs since the last time I cleaned it!!!!

Fairing%20removed.jpg

What it looks like inside.

Fairing%20removed%202.jpg

Got the connector disconnected and removed the fender...

Fender%20Removed.jpg

...then put it back together so I can ride it until the fender is repaired.

Back%20together%202.jpg

Fender should be ready to go early next week sometime. I'll post some pics of the work we do on it soon.

Rode it in this morning, and going up this afternoon to Memphis. As long as I don't ride in any rain or over any gravel or debris, I should be fine with no fender. :)

Kevin

I've only had two mesh jackets over the last 13 years. The one that I slid along the asphalt with for 150 ft. and the one I have now.

Got them both at leatherup.com for well under $100 each. They have body armor, they wash easily, and they work.

The one I have now is a Vega...and I've had it since 2010 or 2011.

There are so many to choose from...can't say which is best...I know that I've been happy with both of mine.

Mary wore her first one out, after 10 years or so, she now has an Xelement that is super lightweight (but still has body armor.

Kevin

Thanks for the info. I'm looking each of your recommendations. DJ

I hope you don't mind my interjecting here but I have a couple jackets I'd like to mention. A I get older and wiser I've become an avid AGATT proponent. In hot weather I used to ride in a short sleeve t-shirt then I switched to a long sleeve t-shirt and ultimately to a mesh jacket. What I've learned is that hot air over bare skin will dehydrate you very quickly and of course there is no protection in case of a crash. Wearing a proper jacket offers crash protection and I find it actually more comfortable. I simply do no ride without all my protective gear.

I have two H-D mesh jackets - one over ten years old with no armor and the one I currently wear which is maybe five years old and does have armor. But I found a three season jacket a couple years ago I like even better - the Olympia Alpha Mesh Tech Jacket. I read a review by Clem Salvadori in Rider Magazine and immediately bought one from Revzilla:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...MIjsTtkOOD2QIVkbbACh2KnQZREAAYASAAEgKzovD_BwE

I absolutely love this jacket and it does well in the rain and moderately cool temps as well as warm weather. Here is Clem's review.

Olympia Mesh Tech Jacket by GERALD L RICE, on Flickr

After admitting my heavy Walter Dyer was shrinking, and the next jacket was proably going to be my last, I’d get Somthing that might make some sence. Hence the Tour Master Transition 4 became of choice. It’s weather resistant, liner removable, has armor, tons of summer venting, and comfortable, which is a plus. There sizing chart is pretty good, but if you measure up to the limit go one size larger, As sweat shirts are bulky.

JMO

Great info on the jackets! Both, probably far superior to the one I have.

I still like switching to my leather when it's colder...not because it's better...I just like it.

Kevin

Headed home from Memphis last night there was a huge orange/red moon.

Stopped and took a few pics...

It was far more impressive in person than these photos. lol

Moon%201-31-18%20c.jpg

Tried zooming...worse-

Moon%201-31-18%20a.jpg

The sky around the moon was pretty lit up too. These pics were taken with me looking thru a break in the trees at the moon.

Moon%201-31-18%20b.jpg

Fast forward to this morning.

After riding near 150 miles with no fender yesterday, I rode in this morning to the shop...

Morning%202-1-18.jpg

...it started raining a bit ago. Even if it stops before I leave, it is not warm enough for the roads to dry out. Should be interesting to see what happens with no front fender on the wet roads! :)

Kevin

DK Custom Products;549843]Great info on the jackets!

ultrafxr, 1dn5up, and Kevin,

First I want to thank the three of you for all the information on the different types of jackets and experience using them. I have found it unbelievable the number of different jacket manufactures and the price differences. From $100 to $1400 is quite a spread from mesh to 4 season jackets. We have a lot of winter left so I'm taking my time asking and looking. Again thanks for all your help. DJ

DK Custom Products;549843]Great info on the jackets!

ultrafxr, 1dn5up, and Kevin,

First I want to thank the three of you for all the information on the different types of jackets and experience using them. I have found it unbelievable the number of different jacket manufactures and the price differences. From $100 to $1400 is quite a spread from mesh to 4 season jackets. We have a lot of winter left so I'm taking my time asking and looking. Again thanks for all your help. DJ

Yep, tons of choices. One of the reasons I like leatherup.com for jackets....no cost exchange if you don't like, or if does not fit.

I think that's where Mary gets my kevlar lined jeans at too.

btw, I have ridden in the snow, temps down in the 20's with my mesh jacket. I put my electric jacket liner on over a long sleeve tee, then the mesh jacket, then rain suit top to block the wind. It's not pretty, but it works. :laugh:

Kevin

Mary and I have been talking about our Big Trip this year. We don't have a firm plan yet, be we have some rough ideas of time-frame and places we want to ride.

This is a mental pic I have when thinking of a road trip....

On%20the%20road.jpg

The reality is, it will look more like this! :laugh:

30%20The%20Virginian%20Motel.jpg

What we "know" so far-

We want to start out the trip in Eureka Springs.

Want to ride the northern Cali coast again.

Going to visit family in Nevada, California, Idaho and Montana.

Yellowstone, Beartooth and some more riding in Colorado.

Still waiting on family plans to solidify before planning a route.

Gonna be a good ride! :)

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png