A Day in the Life...

No incident or accident 👍🏼

Are y’all expecting snow tonight?

It’s snowing here in Jackson Tn as I post. Forecasters say 3” and then fridge cold for 48 hrs.

Ready for Climate Change....

No incident or accident 👍🏼

Are y’all expecting snow tonight?

It’s snowing here in Jackson Tn as I post. Forecasters say 3” and then fridge cold for 48 hrs.

Ready for Climate Change....

Yeah, we got about 3"...and it is cold and getting colder!

Interesting article! Thanks for posting.

Kevin

Strike Two! :icon_errrr:

Friday I left for work on icy roads, covered by a bit of snow. Got halfway there and ended up turning around because the electricity went out at the shop.

By last night, all the ice had melted. Then we got about 3" of snow.

Left the house this morning for the shop...

Leaving%20for%20Work%20Aa%201-16-18.jpg

...It was 18* and nice powdery snow....

Leaving%20for%20Work%20A%201-16-18.jpg

...the TG handles really well in snow. I've ridden in snow quite a bit with no problems...it's the ice that makes it slippery. Today, no ice, just snow...

Leaving%20for%20Work%201-16-18.jpg

...had my longjohns on, electric jacket liner, I was toasty warm, ready for a scenic ride in.

It was not to be. within 1/2 mile I had made 3 turns, and on the 2nd and 3rd turn it was obvious that there was a bunch of ice under the snow.

Called the shop and found out that it was even worse down there. Several folks had had many near misses on the way in.

So, I turned around and headed back home. Stymied by the ice again! Working from the home office today.

Kevin

Ice under the snow sucks

Black ice scares me

I hit some in MN in early March on an on ramp, it spun me all the way around

Lucky for me I was going slow and came out of the spin in the right direction

This was on a 92 FLHS I have not ridden my trike in the snow and I do not plan on it

Stay warm and safe;)

I'm with Jack - I ain't getting my Tri-Glide out in the snow.

Left the house at 4:30 am this morning in my SUV to bring the Mrs. to the hospital for her knee replacement surgery. And with the 3" of snow and some icy spots that was 'sporty' enough for me!

Ice under the snow sucks

Black ice scares me

I hit some in MN in early March on an on ramp, it spun me all the way around

Lucky for me I was going slow and came out of the spin in the right direction

This was on a 92 FLHS I have not ridden my trike in the snow and I do not plan on it

Stay warm and safe;)

Yeah, no doubt about it...ice is scary stuff.

I'm with Jack - I ain't getting my Tri-Glide out in the snow.

Left the house at 4:30 am this morning in my SUV to bring the Mrs. to the hospital for her knee replacement surgery. And with the 3" of snow and some icy spots that was 'sporty' enough for me!

C'mon Jerry! Snow is fun! As long as no ice is involved. :)

How did the surgery go?

Wishing a fast and smooth recovery, for you both!

Kevin

YC'mon Jerry! Snow is fun! As long as no ice is involved. :)

How did the surgery go?

Wishing a fast and smooth recovery, for you both!

Kevin

Thanks for asking Kevin. Her surgery was textbook perfect. She's doing great and I know she will be glad to have the knee pain gone after she heals and does the rehab.

Snow is fine but you know in our part of the country ice lurks and sometimes it is difficult to detect. About twenty years ago our daughter's best friend was killed when her car ran off the road after encountering some black ice in a curve. Not even going very fast. I am very respectful of road conditions and in my old age just don't want to push it. Be careful out there.

We live with way to much traffic and besides that the DOT puts nasty chemicals to melt snow and Ice Mag. chloride. Not mention old fashioned salt and Calcium nice stuff. bad enough wet but when dry get in places you never thought of. ride safe and have a great time :Shrug: Fred

Black ice can be some nasty stuff.

17-18 years ago my son found some. He had borrowed my pickup while his car was being worked on. Hit black ice at night and slid off the road and rolled down a hill. HP said it was 192 feet from start to finish, and they figured he rolled 6 to 8 times:

IMG_20180117_0001.jpg

He crawled out and walked a half mile to a farm house. Scared hell out of us to get a phone call like that.

Went out the next day with the tow man. He was wondering how he was going to get down there to hook up. I pried the door open, the truck started right up, and I drove it up the hill to the road.

My wife's dad had passed away a short time before this. Everyone told my son that Grampa was a guardian angel that night. Other than feeling the next day like someone had beat the crap out of him, he walked away without a scratch...

17-18 years ago my son found some. He had borrowed my pickup while his car was being worked on. Hit black ice at night and slid off the road and rolled down a hill. HP said it was 192 feet from start to finish, and they figured he rolled 6 to 8 times:

View attachment 53711

He crawled out and walked a half mile to a farm house. Scared hell out of us to get a phone call like that.

Went out the next day with the tow man. He was wondering how he was going to get down there to hook up. I pried the door open, the truck started right up, and I drove it up the hill to the road.

My wife's dad had passed away a short time before this. Everyone told my son that Grampa was a guardian angel that night. Other than feeling the next day like someone had beat the crap out of him, he walked away without a scratch...

Wow, that is scary. So glad he was fortunate and not injured. My daughter's friend I mentioned was home from college for the holidays and returning with her family from a relative's house in early evening on a nice (but shady) county road. Her dad was driving and in a curve encountered black ice, slid off the road and hit a tree. Girl's head hit the window (no side curtain air bags back then) and did not survive. Sometimes it doesn't take much unfortunately.

Everyone be careful out there.

Thanks for asking Kevin. Her surgery was textbook perfect. She's doing great and I know she will be glad to have the knee pain gone after she heals and does the rehab.

Snow is fine but you know in our part of the country ice lurks and sometimes it is difficult to detect. About twenty years ago our daughter's best friend was killed when her car ran off the road after encountering some black ice in a curve. Not even going very fast. I am very respectful of road conditions and in my old age just don't want to push it. Be careful out there.

That is good to hear!!! Rehab can be tough, but the results are worth it.

Yep, the ice surprised me yesterday, and I have even more respect for it now.

Kevin

We live with way to much traffic and besides that the DOT puts nasty chemicals to melt snow and Ice Mag. chloride. Not mention old fashioned salt and Calcium nice stuff. bad enough wet but when dry get in places you never thought of. ride safe and have a great time :Shrug: Fred

I don't like traffic anytime...when it is snowing or ice....you would not believe some the crazy stuff we see down here. lol

Kevin

View attachment 53711

Crazy! Very glad to hear it was not worse for your family!

Having spent most of my life in warmer climates, I've very little experience with snow and ice. It is more a novelty here. I was very surprised by the ice yesterday. It was much more slippery than ice I've ridden on before.

Actually talked with Devin about it this morning. Realized ice can form with different surfaces, depending on the temps.

Here's looking at warmer days!

One%20Ride%20Good%20Time.jpg

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png