A Little Outdoor Cooking

Good job Fuzzy :clapping: Next time smother one with jerk rub and sit overnight, then smoke the same way. Just a thought.

Thanks

Not to sure about the Jerk rub, a personal preference is milder ... not too much into the spice thing ... makes me sweat and I like to taste the meat. My choice for a rub is:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup fresh ground pepper

Pretty basic, but really brings out the flavor of the meat. I also spritz the meat every hour or so to keep it moist.

Ribs

Sunday I did a rack of ribs, cooked them for 7 1/2 hours .. they only got to 185* ... I got impatient and pulled them. They were very good, but the meat didn't really pull back from the bones.

just placed on smoker ... 48*

021217 48.jpg

106*

021217 106.jpg

124*

021217 124.jpg

171* ... at 160* removed the rack and wrapped in foil

021217 171.jpg

Done .. after resting 30 minutes.

021217 Done.jpg

Plated 1/2 rack with new potatoes

021217 Plated.jpg

Cut to show smoke ring

021217 ZCut2.jpg

Ribs were delicious. Tender and juicy. My only complaint was I didn't wait till they got to 200*, so the meat never truly released from the bone. Pulled right off, but it should pull back from the bone about 1/2" to 1".

Smoked Turkey

I'm digging this pellet smoker. You match that with a wireless remote reading temp probe and it's set and forget.

Here's my latest foray into smoking. A 10# Turkey (Just me and I invited Mom). Turkey was brined for 18 hours. For seasoning, just salt, pepper and a touch of garlic (fresh ground up and rubbed on the bird after patting dry before salt and pepper).

I set the bird on an oven rack and set that on the grill (The pan was just for transporting). I set the smoker up for Hi Smoke and set the remote temp probe alarm to 120*. Preheated the smoker and put the bird on.

The the remote temp probe alarm went off, set smoker temp to 325 and set the remote temp probe alarm for 170#. When the remote temp probe alarm went off, removed from smoker and tented it for 30 minutes to let juices settle back into meat. Total cooking time about 4 hours.

The bird was fantastic. White meat was very juicy and tasty. Dark meat was really good. Mom and I only managed to eat half of the bird. She likes white meat only and I eat it all. After eating, I removed the remaining white meat and froze it for turkey sandwiches later. The carcus and remaining meat I simmered for several hours in water, removed all bones added some root vegetables and simmered for several more hours. I added additional veggies and some noodles (cooked the noodles separately and added to bowl before putting soup in bowl), voila, Turkey vegetable noodle soup. I'll get several meals out of the soup. All in all, probably 5 or 6 meals not of a 10# bird. Not too shabby.

Here's the result, forgot to take picks after carving. The little poop up timer never did "pop up", which is why I don't like them.

Turkey 030917.jpg

I want this guy on my next ride!...

mVAunPM.jpg

Nice Sully ... I have high hopes to get some Brook Trout this summer and smoke them ... planning on using the cedar plant thing ... any advice??

Hey Fuzzy, I found a Cedar plank of wood and cut it to fit. Then I seasoned it with cooking oil and different season mixes and kept it wet for a few days. After that I laid it on the smoker to burn it in. Be careful with the temp, you don't want to burn up the plank. Good Luck and Smokem if you gottem.

We're still in Ohio and the son-in-law smoked a couple of chickens for supper tonight, they were really good, asparagus on the grill and an orzo salad made the meal.

Attachments

• smolechkn.jpg
    smolechkn.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 158
Be careful with the temp, you don't want to burn up the plank. Good Luck and Smokem if you gottem.

That's my favorite thing about the pellet smoker ... I can set the temp at 160* and it will maintain that for about 18 hours before I need to add pellets.

I did a pork butt couple of weeks ago ... smoked it at 160* for 14 hours. started at 7 pm Saturday, and boasted the temp to 210* when it hit 160* around 9 am Sunday. Let it smoke until it hit 205* on the remote thermometer. Let it rest about 30 minutes, grabbed the bone and it slid right out. I got so excited I forgot to take some pics.

It was very delicious. Made three meals of it.

Dinner Sunday, Just sliced.

Dinner Tuesday, Pulled Pork Sandwiches.

Dinner Friday, Split Pea cup with pork.

I do love the pellet smoker. :D

That's my favorite thing about the pellet smoker ... I can set the temp at 160* and it will maintain that for about 18 hours before I need to add pellets.

I did a pork butt couple of weeks ago ... smoked it at 160* for 14 hours. started at 7 pm Saturday, and boasted the temp to 210* when it hit 160* around 9 am Sunday. Let it smoke until it hit 205* on the remote thermometer. Let it rest about 30 minutes, grabbed the bone and it slid right out. I got so excited I forgot to take some pics.

It was very delicious. Made three meals of it.

Dinner Sunday, Just sliced.

Dinner Tuesday, Pulled Pork Sandwiches.

Dinner Friday, Split Pea cup with pork.

I do love the pellet smoker. :D

I didn't need any pictures. I could almost smell that pork from reading your thread. Looks like you got the combo down on that grill.

Awesome plate of food Sully!

No pics but we rode 140 mile round trip, all twisty back roads, with two couples for BBQ in Carlisle, PA this evening. Good ride, good friends, good food!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeeMan
Back