An other Rake Question.

Bet I am one of the only ones on here that has never raked the front. I have a DFT 1997 wing. Put 60,000 no rake.( 80% of my riding is back roads of Conn and NY ) I like the hard bar feeling. Makes me feel like I am in control. The way you steer makes a world of difference. Arm use body use etc. JMHO. talked to a guy way back when. He made the change to 6 from 4.5. Said it made him nervous at high way speed. Had to concentrate to much or he found he drifted.

talked to a guy way back when. He made the change to 6 from 4.5. Said it made him nervous at high way speed. Had to concentrate to much or he found he drifted.

YUP, drift with the higher degree rake kits is a new feeling. My new Roadsmith has a 6 degree rake. The old MotorTrike had a 4.5 degree. First thing I noticed was having to pay more attention. That has gotten better so it's not an issue for me now but it sure was a little unnerving at first. :xzqxz: :xzqxz:

More bothersome to me is the reduced turning radius thing. I use to do U Turns in the road. No way that will happen with the 6 degree rake. I wish I had known that before.... :xszpv::xszpv:

Some of your increased turning radius may be caused by the longer wheel base of the RS. My Valk/MT with 6* rake, I can still do u-turns on a two lane highway.

But I bet the ride is worth a few more feet turning. :)

Everything is bigger in Texas. Bet your roads are wider too. A typical ROAD in this state is about 25 feet wide.

Everything is bigger in Texas. Bet your roads are wider too. A typical ROAD in this state is about 25 feet wide.

Same here but we have wide shoulders and real ditches (called bar ditches). I use to be able to just crank it hard and stay on the blacktop. Not now. Yes, the increased 8 inch wheel base has some influence but I'd bet money the rake difference is the primary cause. Either way, I LOVE my new Roadsmith and would not do anything different. :xszpv::xszpv:

I have a 1500 Valk w. a Lehman Predator conversion w. a 3 1/2 degree rake. The trike does have a rather short wheelbase.

Its a bit stiff but I like it - it's sort of like a good German sports car - a lot of feel of what's going on with the front tire. It also likes to stay on center & not wander or be very affected by steeply crowned roads or wind.

Stiff arming the outside bar with some body lean & weight shifted to the outside peg together with setting the line for the corner at entry makes it pretty much unnoticeable. This is even more so for me as I have trashed both rotator cuffs from too much slalom sking.

Lehman knew what they were doing when they recommended 3 1/2 degree rake for this trike. However, I think their 26 psi recommendation for the rear tires was a legal CYA. 18 & 40 makes a real difference in how much better it rides and steers.

I think there is a significant relationship between rake happiness and tire pressure. If it is too stiff, try lowering the rear & upping the front.

I I hope this is of some help to someone.

Dan

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Busymo
Back