Avon Trike Tire I hope its all its cracked up to be.

Jaysgone, here's the answer to your problem, some use it, some don't, read about it and keep an open mind. You can go to Amazon and get some meaningful comments on the product. Works for me.

http://www.ride-on.com/
I don't have to read it.
Im a confirmed user of it in all my vehicles.
I have 4 quarts at the moment. 2 for the bikes and 2 for my cars.
Its saved my butt from more then a few flats over the years.
I just had to have my rear tire on the Yamaha taken off and get the 6 year old Ride-On flushed out.
They Ride-On told me that 5 years is its max in an aluminum wheel. It might begin to corrode after that time period.
My wheel was fine though. So washed it out. Tire back on and another quart and Im good to go.
I use a Light Truck tire on my bikes rear. Should get 40K out of it. 22K so far.

Tires here.................Doesn't look like anything special??
Surprisingly on the label it does say "Not to be fitted on a standard motorcycle"
Will report back soon enough............maybe next week.

Last edited:
I cannot help you with long term use. I have had the tire since September 2016 with close to 4K miles. Tire wear so far is very good.I maintain 37 to 38 PSI cold and ride mostly year around on South Florida roads.

Same roads as in the Delray area. Hobe Sound and here are basically the same.

I use the trike to commute to work daily.

So for me keeping it at 36 psi gives me the best feel and ride comfort.

Way to stiff a feel at 41 psi and 70mph. Hot is 44, 45 psi.

36 keeps me in the 40ish range hot.

:Agree::GoodPost:

Tires here.................Doesn't look like anything special??
Surprisingly on the label it does say "Not to be fitted on a standard motorcycle"
Will report back soon enough............maybe next week.

That's because of the shoulder block construction. We don't lean to steer like a two wheeler does.

Ok went for a quick ride this afternoon.

I didn't even have to go 5 miles and I knew what I had here.

I started out at 40psi.

Before I even went a mile I had to lower the tire to 38 psi for starters.

This tire compared to a much heavier rear tire on the front.

Is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a word twitchy.

I felt every ripple in the road as I passed over it at 40mph.

On I-95 at 75 it rode pretty smooth. As I guess compared to my cupped 20K mile MPA. Id have expected that from any new tire..

Pulled over checked the psi again. Hot it was up to 41 psi. Picked up 3 psi in about a mile.

Lowered it to 37 psi Hot.

Much better, Smoother less twitchy feeling..

I guess because the tire itself weighs next to nothing. Ill get used to it at speed. The front end of the bike does indeed feel 100% different without the extra weight . It might just be a few pounds maybe 2 but it does make a big difference overall. To me.

I don't know what Avons reason is for this tire. Never bothered to read up on it. My bad,,,,,

What is it specifically supposed to do as opposed to a regular bike tire on the front of a trike??

Maybe just because Im used to it. Having a rear on the front, I don't know.

But given my choice again.

Id have stuck with what I do know.

A MPA or Battle Axe rear on the front.

Just my personal feelings at the moment for all they are worth.

It just a tire not a life changer.

Well not quite 2 hours and the tires cooled off.
Guess what folks??
36psi cold;)............funny how it got there.

For starters Avon recommends 38-42 or 40-42 can't remember. Second, tire needs a little break-in time. I run 42 psi in mine and don't find it near as hard riding and twitchy as the last two BT-45's I ran. The purpose of the trike tire was to provide a tire to withstand the unique side loads a trike puts on a tire during a turn. Your standard radial bike front tire has sidewalls that will flex a lot when side loaded like a trike. This is one reason they usually get much less mileage. The Avon also is a radial versus a bias ply so it will handle differently. With my MPA and BT-45 I could always feel the tire trying to get loose in tight twisties running a good clip. The Avon stays firmly planted and not once has acted like it wanted to skip out on me.

Anyway, hope it works out for you. It sure has for a lot of people who will not go back to that heavy walled sport bike rear tire.

^^^^ This ! I would not give up the Avon trike specific tire now that it's broken in. I have almost 9 k on mine and it still looks almost brand new. That pos Dunlop the mo co uses that was designed for two wheel use is way to soft in the middle which was the reason it wore out so quickly

My needs are different then most here. I use my trike as a commuting vehicle. Driven from 0 to 70 mph. In basically a straight line. Handling is of almost zero importance for me. I ride to work. I ride home from work.
I don't take the trike for a cruise to the grocery store.
If I want to enjoy riding. I use my Road Star.
In the tires defense at 55+ it smooths out and rides fine.
Under 50 mph I prefer the feel I had from a heavier tire.
If this lasts 15K miles it will outlast me at this stage of the game. If I kill it using lower pressure I kill it. Comfort is the paramount issue for me here.
Im sure I will get used to it.

Well crud, I washed the Trike today. Just went out and looked at the Avon front tire. Time to buy a new one I guess. I was hoping to make to May. But I guess 25,000 miles is all I can get from it safely. Not too bad..

Well crud, I washed the Trike today. Just went out and looked at the Avon front tire. Time to buy a new one I guess. I was hoping to make to May. But I guess 25,000 miles is all I can get from it safely. Not too bad..

That's some serious miles for to me so far a lightweight tire. Since we both have Motor Trike kits. What psi cold have you kept it at?? More important question if you don't mind. Whats an average ride like for you??Pleasure, running errands or mostly highway at high speed??

Im curious because I find for me. Over 50mph this tire handles so differently then it does just cruising around town at 35mph. For me anyway it does. Im trying to give it some time for me to get used to the feel.

Im finding it very different then the MPA which is the only front tire Ive had on the bike. I killed that one in 15K miles.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png