Avon Trike Tire I hope its all its cracked up to be.

Right Jay, as I've mentioned, I'm running the Cobra trike tire, and I don't feel that much improvement over the BT45 (rear) I was running, so I will probably give the MPA (rear) a try next, see if I can get a 'feel'. I'd like to get some feedback from someone who has run either the MPA or BT, then the Cobra. Difficult to get feedback from the Cobra since it hasn't been available for lots of miles yet.

My first tire was the MPA. Note: I had Traxxxion Ak-20 cartridges installed along with springs within 1000 miles of being triked. I found the MPA buzzy and in the Arkansas twisties it wanted to "skitter" when pushed thru a hard turn. Same for the BT-45 I used next. Both tires rode very hard and I could feel every little fault in the road surface. I used BT-45's until I purchased my first Avon Cobra Trike.

The difference was night and day. The front felt planted in all situations, rode much smoother, and holds a line thru a hard twisty like it is glued to the road. Will never use anything else unless someone comes up with a better mousetrap.

Keep in mind that here where I live we scrub front tires off quickly with average mileage only 11-13k miles if we stay local. That applies to all tires; MPA, BT-45 and Avon Cobra Trike. I understand that in flat country these tires are running 20-30k miles routinely. However, I'll give up the mileage for living and riding where I do every day. YMMV

Well ... that's to be expected as it's not a rear mounted on the front. It's a trike front tire mounted on the front of a trike. ;)

You are right. My expectations are/were based on a set of incorrect assumptions on my part.

This tire is not at all what I had expected it to be like. Yes its a smooth running tire but that it. Maybe, from some reports it will get some better mileage in the 12-15K range. Instead of 7500 plus miles.

A rear tire on the front gives at least to me a better feel for the road. A wider stance and most importantly to me. Better feel of the road in Floridas wet conditions due its being a wider, heavier tire. A rear on the front does brake better then any front tire ever will when wet.

This Avon does feel like what it is. A regular front tire they claim made for a trike.

What exactly makes it a better tire over a regular Avon bike front for a trike.

Not a clue here.

From Avon.

"Cobra Trike tire offers a flatter lean profile for longer wear, better handling and stability." Then what?? A regular bike front tire??? Probably. Certainly not better then a rear on the front. Apples and oranges.

A true comparison should be from a user of a regular bike front who now has a Avon trike tire. That would be a more accurate comparisons then my experience here.

My experience is with rears on the front. As that also is what I use on my 2 wheelers. Ive been double dark on my bikes for over 25 years.

So with what I now know about this tire. I should have gotten another rear for MY trike. And this thread would have ended 65 replies ago.

Devils Advocate

I sure hope that when someone running a non approved rear tire on the steer axle of their trike has a major insurance claim denied that is related to the above, that they will own up to such. I can just see the adjuster having a field day.

You are right. My expectations are/were based on a set of incorrect assumptions on my part.

This tire is not at all what I had expected it to be like. Yes its a smooth running tire but that it. Maybe, from some reports it will get some better mileage in the 12-15K range. Instead of 7500 plus miles.

A rear tire on the front gives at least to me a better feel for the road. A wider stance and most importantly to me. Better feel of the road in Floridas wet conditions due its being a wider, heavier tire. A rear on the front does brake better then any front tire ever will when wet.

This Avon does feel like what it is. A regular front tire they claim made for a trike.

What exactly makes it a better tire over a regular Avon bike front for a trike.

Not a clue here.

From Avon.

"Cobra Trike tire offers a flatter lean profile for longer wear, better handling and stability." Then what?? A regular bike front tire??? Probably. Certainly not better then a rear on the front. Apples and oranges.

A true comparison should be from a user of a regular bike front who now has a Avon trike tire. That would be a more accurate comparisons then my experience here.

My experience is with rears on the front. As that also is what I use on my 2 wheelers. Ive been double dark on my bikes for over 25 years.

So with what I now know about this tire. I should have gotten another rear for MY trike. And this thread would have ended 65 replies ago.

Thats what I did.I gave some observations in my previous post.It is a completely different feel.Definitely heavier which i'm not sure I like but it seems to take half the movement under normal driving to make the corner.I think the heavier feel is why I say it likes the outside of the corners where the regular front was more of a outside inside gas outside corner this one is just enter the corner and turn.If i'm riding normal I love the trike tire and if I get aggressive I kinda like the feel of the regular front.I will say this the trike tire is much more forgiving than the regular and with that said I feel safer.Also it has more width and size to it than a regular front.I never tried the rear on front that you ran so I have no comparison for that at all.I should also add that i'm in the hills and corners of Tn.

Not about mileage

I recently triked my 2010 GL1800 (CSC). I opted for the BT40 over the Avon for my front tire choice in order to save a few bucks and for it's legendary longevity, even over the advice from the shop that installed the conversion. Right off the bat, I noticed a slight buzzing sensation in my hands while riding. 3 months and 3500 miles later, the BT40 had obvious cupping and my hands could not take the constant vibration any longer. I had the Avon trike tire installed and so far, I am ecstatic with how smooth the ride is. I will never again buy a tire based on how long it might last, but only for overall ride quality, after all, that's why I drive a Goldwing in the first place.

Before anybody chimes in, during the conversion, the entire front end, including bearings and seals were completely updated, traxxoned and raked and the tire had Counteract balancing beads. I also meticulously maintained the air pressures to within specified limits. I just don't think that I should have expected a rear tire mounted in reverse direction to ever ride as good as one specifically designed as a trike front tire.

Excellent roadholding in the rain. I speak from very wet experience last summer riding out west in NM, CO and, UT I wonder if the night person at the Comfort Inn is still mumbling about the puddle of water in the lobby. :laugh:

After 650 miles since putting on my Cobra trike tire it's flawless. Very smooth, no vibrations. Havnt had in rain yet but try to avoid that anyway.

Presently using Dunlop 404- 130/90-17 Rear Tire with backward rotation (42 lbs pressure).

Previously used a Bridgestone BT-45 140/80-17 Rear Tire - only got 14k miles with reverse rotation (42 lbs pressure).

Would like to try the Avon if they made it in my correct size. The stock front tire is a 150/80-17.

I rode my trike to the dealer today for my New York State inspection ($6.00). My Avon Trike Tire has 11,000 miles on it. I was told it would be good for another 5,000 miles. Most of my riding is done in the mountains of NY, VT and NH. In the past I used 2 MPA's on my 1500. I never used an MPA on my 1800. With the ride & handling I get with the Avon tire, I will definitely use another Avon.

A must 4 trike

I'm on my second Cobra trike Tire and would not use anything else. The ride smoothness is unbelievable and even the wear. What's amazing is both times did not need any wheel weights for balancing was perfect. Don't know if it's the tire or if I'm lucky enough that I've got almost perfect rim. You won't go wrong with that Cobra Tire.

Got 13,000 miles on the Avon tire on the front of our trike, with more miles to go. I have been running Avons on my two wheelers for the last few bikes. They are good riding, good handling tires for sure.

I currently have 6K plus miles over the past 8 months on my first Avon trike tire . I carry 37 to 38 psi cold tire pressure.

So far, I have no complaints on the tire. The handling is great for all styles of riding and the tire wear is minimal and even. Measured tread depth loss is currently about .5 to.75 mm.

When the tire needs replacing, I will purchase the same tire.ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png