Catch Can

RKplus10

300+ Posts
Mar 17, 2018
Waelder, Texas
I’ve used a DK catch can for several years now. From spring through fall it does its job perfectly. I can go 8 or 9 months without cleaning it and I catch very little oil. In colder weather, after a few weeks, it’s spitting condensate. I always ride at least 30-45 minutes or so, no short drives that don’t get the engine up to temp. It wipes off my exhaust without smearing so probably 95% water. So, does the condensate form in the heads or is the warm vapor forming condensation in the cold catch can?

If it’s forming in the can, I may just pull it out and replace it with a filter for the winter months.

I’ve used a DK catch can for several years now. From spring through fall it does its job perfectly. I can go 8 or 9 months without cleaning it and I catch very little oil. In colder weather, after a few weeks, it’s spitting condensate. I always ride at least 30-45 minutes or so, no short drives that don’t get the engine up to temp. It wipes off my exhaust without smearing so probably 95% water. So, does the condensate form in the heads or is the warm vapor forming condensation in the cold catch can?

If it’s forming in the can, I may just pull it out and replace it with a filter for the winter months.

I ride year round myself in the colder weather. I have this same issue. I believe the condensation is increased during the cooler/colder months. I swap mine out for a filter in the winter and no further issues.

Condensation is a by product of gasoline engines, riding up to operating temperatures will burn off the water vapor that condenses in the engine oil

This is true but I think the condensation that gets blown out comes from before it gets to temp and after shutdown/during cooldown, especially if you don't have a heated garage.

This is true but I think the condensation that gets blown out comes from before it gets to temp and after shutdown/during cooldown, especially if you don't have a heated garage.

That is correct, it happens in all gas engines, this is also why one should fully warm up the engine in colder weather, it is also better for sealing

surfaces ( this goes back to the Evo engines) many had rocker box and base gasket leaks because of not warming engines up before putting a load on them

The head breathers expel the oil mist and condensation out the breather tubes and ( factory routed hoses) into the air filter ( or on some Screaming Eagle set ups where the hoses discharge directly into the throttle body) where the intake vacuum pulls that nasty oxygen depleted mix into the engine

HD M8 head breathers

s-l500.jpg

Any of you guys buy those breather filters online? Are there specific sizes of connector end that I should be looking for? I would like a K&N Chrome tapered breather filter but they all look like different sizes. Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thanks

Any of you guys buy those breather filters online? Are there specific sizes of connector end that I should be looking for? I would like a K&N Chrome tapered breather filter but they all look like different sizes. Any input is always greatly appreciated. Thanks

I got a non K&N from advance auto

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WXPO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought one of these from Amazon. Works great.

I got a non K&N from advance auto

I also have one of those as well. It works great too.

These type of filters do come in several inlet sizes, popular size is 3/8, depending on the size hose you are using you should be able to find one for your liking

These type of filters do come in several inlet sizes, popular size is 3/8, depending on the size hose you are using you should be able to find one for your liking

Don't these leak (drip out crap) too? I can see it down below the frame but I've seen some under the air filter as well. Thanks.

Over time and if your engine is a spitter you may have a leak from that filter

So 1st of the year I'm planing A DK 606 Naked Air Intake with External Breather System. This Air Intake allows me to retain my stock air cleaner cover, which I like. My plan was to run the EB hoses up, under the tank and terminate with the filter hanging in the space behind the rear cylinder above the Starter / Trans cover. A great spot to highlight the breather filter (which should be chrome) ... i have seen this setup on the DK site but anything dripping won't work for me. My choice to go "up" with the hoses is because there is no other way to hide them ... any comments are always appreciated. Thanks

So 1st of the year I'm planing A DK 606 Naked Air Intake with External Breather System. This Air Intake allows me to retain my stock air cleaner cover, which I like. My plan was to run the EB hoses up, under the tank and terminate with the filter hanging in the space behind the rear cylinder above the Starter / Trans cover. A great spot to highlight the breather filter (which should be chrome) ... i have seen this setup on the DK site but anything dripping won't work for me. My choice to go "up" with the hoses is because there is no other way to hide them ... any comments are always appreciated. Thanks

Good choice with D K Customs products

This is just my opinion, let gravity work for you to expel the oil and condensation

Running the hoses uphill makes no sense to me, there is not alot of pressure behind the mess getting expelled, this could IMO be counter productive ( it will not get sucked back into the engine, but it will take longer to get to its final destination)

We have been venting Harleys down and open at the end with no filters for many years, sometimes reinventing the wheel does not work out as good, JMO

Let flow dynamics work for you

View attachment 115850View attachment 115851

I agree with Jack. What ever route you choose, let gravity be your friend.

I agree with that ... it only makes sense and looking at RK's pics is exactly what I would like to do. Looks great, least amount of hose to run, perfect ... but ... I can't do that and still retain my Air Cleaner Cover. By changing out the cover to the Screaming Eagle now there's room for the filter or catch can. With the stock cover there's no room to do that. Am I correct?

Imports - 1 of 1 copy 7.jpg IMG_7296.jpg

I agree with that ... it only makes sense and looking at RK's pics is exactly what I would like to do. Looks great, least amount of hose to run, perfect ... but ... I can't do that and still retain my Air Cleaner Cover. By changing out the cover to the Screaming Eagle now there's room for the filter or catch can. With the stock cover there's no room to do that. Am I correct?

View attachment 115853 View attachment 115854

You could run that with your stock cover and backing plate, you would have to drill a hole in the bottom of the backing plate for the hose to exit

View attachment 115853 View attachment 115854

If you were referring to my cover as a SE, it’s not, just a stock Rushmore with a dress up insert. I would think that your cover with the 606 would be basically the same. Check with DK and you will know for sure. Good luck and be safe.