Cooler Fans

two of my buddies have put LARGER OIL PANS on their bikes plus electric oil coolers w/synthetic oil and temps have improved tremendously but they also retuned their engines adding more fuel etc.....:Coffee:
Tbear, when you say they are adding more fuel, you mean they have returned to a tune that richened right. So the question is was it the tune, or the oil capacity and cooler that helped them the most?

Tbear, when you say they are adding more fuel, you mean they have returned to a tune that richened right. So the question is was it the tune, or the oil capacity and cooler that helped them the most?

I'd say the oil cooler and the tune did more than the capacity. With added capacity it will just take a little longer to get hot, then you have 5 qts of hot oil instead of 4. IMO if there was more to this more oil is better oil pan a whole lot more folks running some monster builds would be using them instead of the stock pan. I know of one guy who put on a whole lot of miles traveling and doing Iron butt rides with a 120R that has had the compression bumped up along with some other changes, he runs the stock oil pan still.

Along with the extra quart of oil there would also be more pan area to dissipate heat from. If you could keep people from using the oil pan as a lifting platform for the trike they could put fins on the pan when manufactured for a lot more cooling. But we all know what would happen then....:cxtv:

I just ordered the Love Jugs fan kit. As soon as the weather gets above 30, I'll roll around on the garage floor and put them on. I'll post the results here.

Two years ago at Rolling Thunder in D.C., we got stuck in the parking garage at Arlington Cemetery. Evidently there was a motorcycle accident and fire on the Memorial Bridge, and no traffic allowed across the bridge. So, we spent about one hour in a line of traffic trying to get out of the garage. Harley has that procedure where you can disable the firing on the rear cylinder to let the bike run cooler, but it had absolutely no effect. I guess the fact that it was also 95 degrees out didn't help matters either. I just ended up shutting the trike off, and restarting it to move. Let's see how those fans are going to work?

Well, the temperature climbed to a balmy 35, so I put the Love Jugs fans on the trike. They do blow a lot of air when their running (albeit cold air at 35 degrees). Installation was straight forward and simple, hooked right up to the accessory connector under the seat. Once it starts getting warm here in New England, around August, I'll let you know how effective they are.Trike Love Jugs.jpg

Are yours the horn mounts or frame mounts. I don't know what diff would be other than amount of shaking??
It sure looks like , compairing Luv Jugs and Wards videos, that the Lov Jugs cool the engine a LOT more and Faster.

I'm also curious if they add any noise while the bike is running/moving?

Are yours the horn mounts or frame mounts. I don't know what diff would be other than amount of shaking??
It sure looks like , compairing Luv Jugs and Wards videos, that the Lov Jugs cool the engine a LOT more and Faster.

I'm also curious if they add any noise while the bike is running/moving?

When I switched the fans on, you could barely hear them running. I put my hand behind them and there is a significant amount of air being circulated. Yes, I did order the frame mounted kit, and they are quality chromed pieces. The mount attaches to the motorcycle backbone with SS hose clamps, then the other pieces are bolted to it. I did swap out the supplied 1/4" ss nuts to 1/4" ss nylon lock nuts. I didn't want them coming loose and having to pull the gas tank to get back at them. I don't know about the vibration question: The old horn bracket was mounted to each cylinder head, so when the motor is running the horn is vibrating. With the fan now being mounted to the frame, I'm sure there will be less vibration, but the bike frame is still vibrating, isn't it?

Husker I love that horn cover. Where did you get it? Or was it custom painted?

Kind of cool how the solder stands guard to make sure the Love Jugs don't take over the power plant.
Sorry man could not resist a little jab at the size of those fans. I do like the horn cover though.

I was really mixed on this subject so Friday I installed a set of Wards FSC fans (with a mini-Beast II), Zagg 10 row, fan assist oil cooler AND a HD temp gauge. Run Amsoil syn oil so hope'n that'll do the trick.

Ohhhhh, also tossed the useless 'air temp' gauge. Moved the volt gauge into its spot and installed the 'oil temp' gauge above the 'oil pressure' gauge.

As I've read numerous time on here "it's only money"

o~\o

Husker I love that horn cover. Where did you get it? Or was it custom painted?

Kind of cool how the solder stands guard to make sure the Love Jugs don't take over the power plant.

Sorry man could not resist a little jab at the size of those fans. I do like the horn cover though.

The horn cover used to be a Harley acccessory in the Color section of the catalog. My wife purchased it in 2005 and put it on her Sportster. Since then it's been on an Ultra Classic, and now on the Trike. I don't know why Harley quit making them. Sometimes you can pick them up on Ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

I was really mixed on this subject so Friday I installed a set of Wards FSC fans (with a mini-Beast II), Zagg 10 row, fan assist oil cooler AND a HD temp gauge. Run Amsoil syn oil so hope'n that'll do the trick.

Ohhhhh, also tossed the useless 'air temp' gauge. Moved the volt gauge into its spot and installed the 'oil temp' gauge above the 'oil pressure' gauge.

As I've read numerous time on here "it's only money"

o~\o

I've always wondered why that air temp gauge only works when it's powered up? Most thermometers are just a coil or spring and work all the time. The only time you'd need it powered up is if you were sending the signal someplace else....like where?

The wards fans work..You will feel the hot air blowing out the right side when stopped..They worked as promised of cooling the heads.

Thanks all for the reply's / comments. I am leaning toward the Wards for two reasons.

1. Size, if they do the job, I like the smaller size compared to the Luv Jugs.

2. Thermostat, and the fact people such as Kevin have stated facts that even at highway speed they do cool.

Keep the comments coming I am still interested in hearing the Luv Jug side if anyone has them please help.

Thanks again.

3. Customer support. Jason is a warrior when it comes to making sure your investment is right for you and your bike.

I have a mini-Beast II horn which has created problems in the past. No more. AND they look great because of their size and finish (I got the flat black w/black screens) you can barely see them.

Wards parts Werks FCS system has my vote.

o~\o

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png