GWRRA

Youre right Champ, unfortunately it varies from chapter to chapter and my local chapter and many others I have personal knowledge of across the country by virtue of this website aren't all as welcoming as yours. That was one of the main issues in trying to successfully incorporating TRI & GWRRA. About the same thing as showing up at a HOG Chapter meeting on a Goldwing. The fellowship we have fostered here is unusually good between ALL brands, makes and models.

I don't know about that Zook; I have hard feelings about Schwinn trikes.:AGGHH:

I have ridden goldwings, yamaha, honda vtx and cushman scooters. I have never been turned down by any group or organization.
My feeling though, is that any non goldwing org. talks about what they have each done to their ride, while gwrra talks about how much they have spent on their ride.
On my current VTX, I am usually more comfortable with harley and yamaha riders, then with goldwingers.

The decision is yours of course. I probably will have some kind of membership with either GW or HOG for roadside assistance as well as insurance for the same. Most usually only let you use it once a year then you will pay dreary for the second. Also an updated gold book is good to,ave.

Our GWRRA members welcome any make and model - of course, we are mostly GW riders, and most of us are on trikes, but we enjoy motorcycles of any size and shape, and their riders are most welcome at our chapter's meetings, rides and events!!

I hope it was just a couple of people, but Blondie Gal and I belong to the same chapter and I brought two wonderful friends that ride a Can Am Spyder and they received the most unfriendly response from our group. Naturally, they did not join. GWRRA did the right thing and our chapter director wrote an article about welcoming other make riders. The national president called me a couple of times.

I rode to Oklahoma with 10 of the chapter members last June and they could not have been a more friendly group of people. I had a tire go bad and they waited with me unitl I could get a truck and trailer to pick me up. Fortunately, I was only three miles from home. It was very hot and all of them stayed with me.

Whether or not you renew is your choice alone. I renewed because I like the people and although I have towing insurance, I like Rescue Plus.

I joined Illinois Chapter V approx. 2 years ago. I found out this past January that they had DISBANDED because, as they say, they were tired of dealing with the politics of GWRRA. (whatever that meant ???) So I am now Chapterless. Any ideas? The nearest chapter is about 45-50 miles away.

Our group, Chapter T, welcomes all motorcycle riders! We have 2-and 3-wheelers, Stallions, sidecars, all of em! Wish we could clone our group for everyone! Each month, we have 75-100 for our dinner meetings.

To me,GWRRA,has been a very important asset in the past 20+ years of my 49 years of riding motorcycles mostly due to their committment to Rider Education and Safety.And a newer program that deals with Motorist Awareness.GWRRA has received many awards from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and others for these programs.
I have been in many officers positions,both at chapter level and district (State) and have found that you have to participate to reap all the rewards.Just showing up at a chapter meeting is not what GWRRA is about.
As far as brands of bikes,two chapters we ride with in the St.Louis area have all different makes of bikes and trikes and everyone receives warm welcomes for attending any function.
The last GWRRA sponsered ERC class I attended,of nine bikes,three were GoldWings and the rest were other makes.I decided to try the class on my Vulcan Classic (2-wheeler) that day and never felt that I was not welcome.
I think you have to be friendly to make friends and it doesn't matter to me what brand of bike you ride.
GWRRA has a lot to offer,including those mentioned by other posters and I will belong as long as I can ride.
Sonny

NOT TRUE ONE BIT...
We have all kinds of bikes in our chapter...
As do a LOT of chaptters

Mike and I (both on harleys) met cjmitch and his lovely wife at a GWRRA weekend in Ohio at their invitation a couple of years ago. We met a lot of friendly people, and Claude and his family and friends were great fun! It is the only GW event we have attended, but we didn't feel uncomfortable there at all.

The Chapter we belong to has as they uesd to say at the race track run whatcha brung attitude and has a lot more trikes than bikes.

I have 10 Gold books. They don't up date them regularly. My friend that died 3 years ago is still in it . Our chapter is week. The GWRRA web page like this forum is very useful .

real Safety? and GWRRA

GWRRA never wanted to assist me in my efforts to go to politicians to reduce deer population in high density area,, it was off base with them because it presented a challenge.

The owners of GWRRA are not interested in sticking their necks out. You dont see them getting involved in any issues like the AMA. Their forum is a joke. Its a shell of what it used to be. You have to be careful about what you say in regards to the organization and any of its personnel or you'll be ousted in one form or another. People forget what they did to their trike forum some years ago and when the economy got bad he killed TRI to bolster his sagging GWRRA numbers. For those of you who have great chapters-ride and enjoy them. Just remember if all of the chapters were that much fun we would have a younger generation joining instead of them looking at us going" Look at the old geezers on their geezerglides". And yes I'm a member and when Stu Oltman drops his colunm from Wing World I'm gone. The Goldbook is only worth what its worth to you.

Back