I just can't decide >>.. Help please.....

Hi Gold Rush, Yes the black and red one is the 2015. The guy said its G.W. 40th edition. Didn't know you could use the ground effects as floor boards. Thanks for the tip. One of the reasons I like the G.W is the look of the ground effects. I think the ground effects can support like 400 lbs. Not real sure, but I beleive I read it some where. If possible can you post a pic of yours. Would like to see it, no problem if you can't....

Here you are. Notice the rider foot pegs. Left one is down at the time but will go vertical just like the right one.
Bluebonetts 2015.jpg

1-24-15 1.jpg

I own a 1990 Harley and a 2004 Goldwing Champion trike. Also have a 2013 Triumph Bonneville and a 2007 Trike Shop (now Roadsmith) Roadhawk VW trike. I'm not a Harley or a Goldwing guy, i'm a motorcycle/trike guy. One of the things on the Harley/Goldwing trike decision (you only asked about those 2 so we'll ignore other choices like Victory, BMW, Yamaha, Spyder, etc.) to consider is the engine.
Harley has a 45° V-Twin 1689.5cc (103.1ci) 2 cylinder. Stroke is 4.374 in. Goldwing is 1832cc (111.79ci) flat (boxer) 6 cylinder. Stroke is 2.79 in.
Harley (Rushmore) is "twin cooled" - Air cooled with water cooled heads around valves, Goldwing's engine is fully water cooled.
Harley horsepower is 75.82, Goldwing horsepower is 118.
Harley torque - 106.2ft.lbs. at 3750rpm. Goldwing torque - 123.2 ft.lbs. at 4000 rpm.

Harley engines have a style, feel and sound some folks love.(Me included) There is something visceral about a 45° V-Twin. Nothing else sounds or feels like it.
On the other hand, the Goldwing engine has more horsepower, torque, is smooth as silk and it is not unusual for a Wing to go upwards of 100,000 miles with just normal maintenance. Due to the design of the motors, the Harley will need more major attention earlier than the Wing.
The Twincam is also a hot motor, with "bandaid" fixes like little heat guards over the rear jug to protect the riders legs from the heat, some models shut off the rear cylinder at a stop to lessen heat buildup and of course the Rushmore variant water cools the heads around the valves. There are fans, intake and exhaust changes and other things that can be done to help with the heat on the HD.
On paper the Goldwing powerplant is more powerful, quieter, smoother and more reliable by design than the Harley, but the look, sound and feel of the Harley engine is unique.
Harley is an American based company, Honda is based in Japan. That may be important to some folks. Oddly enough, our 2004 Goldwing has, by percentage, more American sourced parts than a Harley up to 2010, when Honda moved Goldwing production from Marysville, Ohio to Japan.

Thing is, there is no right or wrong choice. As long as you are satisfied with what you get whether it be a Wing, HD, Slingshot or any other trike, it is the right one for you.

Thank you for all that information !
I too like the Harley feel, sound, this is what makes this decision hard. I understand all the positive the G.W. has over the Harley. I'm just nervous if I do switch to G.W from the harley, I hope I don't regret it. Have you owned a Harley before ? From what I gather you know own G.W. and some others. Did you make the switch from harley to the other style. Any remorse ?.......

- - - Updated - - -

Here you are. Notice the rider foot pegs. Left one is down at the time but will go vertical just like the right one.
View attachment 37518

View attachment 37519

Very Nice ! Its also very similar to the one i'm looking at. Is this one also the 40th anniversary one ? Are you completely happy with it ? Ever owned a harley before ?
Thanks for sharing ThumbUp Is yours the roadsmith conversion ?

Very Nice ! Its also very similar to the one i'm looking at. Is this one also the 40th anniversary one ? Are you completely happy with it ? Ever owned a harley before ?
Thanks for sharing ThumbUp Is yours the roadsmith conversion ?

Yes it's a 2015 40th Anniversary. I took delivery in Nov 2014. By Christmas I had installed the Roadsmith HTS1800 kit. I am totally happy. If I wasn't, there would be nobody to blame but me because I did the complete conversion myself. I love wrenching almost as much as riding!! :cool:

I have to admit that I have never owned a Harley. I have several friends and one brother that own them. I've had a few HD kisses to prove it. :D

Gold Rush that is one beauty there love the look. One must get what one loves your self, no person can decide for you. I love all bikes all have there place in the world but given the choice I would not have a new trike. I don't care for new tech I have a connection with older cars and bikes. Love the feel and looks from old muscle cars some people like new high tech street racers some like rice rocket style bikes. Don't mean to drag on but I think as corny as it sounds but Hishog5 needs to find the trike that speaks to him and just got to have that one. Then it will be the right one. ThumbUp

I currantly own a 2012 street glide, and consider myself a harley man. But I keep reading all the positive things the G.W has to offer. The main reason going to a trike is the wife. I want her to be comfortable on it. And I hear the G.W is one of the best rides for a trike. Alto I know I will miss the sound of the harley.

I would give some serious consideration to triking your current ride, and if you like CSC, they make a great kit for your Streetglide. The ride is plush, handles great, and you can keep the Harley sound. I really like my conversion, and would do it again, so, no regrets on my part. Best of luck with your decision.

I have had both. Did have a 2006 Goldwing with a Motortrike conversion. Great ride but it did break down on us while on a trip. After calling 3 Honda dealers that didn't want to work on it I found a Motortrike distributor about 1-1/2 hours away and he fixed it under warranty. The failed part was in the conversion end. Now have a Harley Freewheeler and one reason I bought it is because it is all Harley and any Harley shop will work on it if need be. Normally I do all my own work but when on a trip and in the boonies like when we broke down on the Goldwing trike it can be hard to get someone to work on a conversion. The Goldwing is a great machine but so is the Harley and with the Harley any Harley shop will work on it, warranty or not. On the Goldwing trike conversion some Honda Dealers just won't work on it at all. An important consideration if you travel on it.

Sunman

Thank you for all that information !
I too like the Harley feel, sound, this is what makes this decision hard. I understand all the positive the G.W. has over the Harley. I'm just nervous if I do switch to G.W from the harley, I hope I don't regret it. Have you owned a Harley before ? From what I gather you know own G.W. and some others. Did you make the switch from harley to the other style. Any remorse ?.......

Got the 1990 FLHS IN 1993, originally with a sidecar. Still have the bike. Sold the hack when my wife got a 1991 Trike Shop VW based Runabout in 1994. She loves to ride but not leaning over in curves, Sold the VW trike in 2004 and got a GL1500 to tour, then when that met it's end we picked up a 2004 GL1800. Looked at about all the choices and went for another Wing. Partly because we liked the 1500 and partly because the 1800 had low miles and almost all the accessories we wanted to add already installed for the same price the other less equipped rigs. Gloria was homesick for the Trike Shop trike, so we recently added the Roadhawk to the stable.

A thought - If I read correctly, you still have a Streetglide you like. If you can, keep it to ride yourself. Get the Wing for the both of you and maybe longer trips. Best of both worlds X2 - trike and 2 wheeler, GW and HD. Afte ai got used to a trike, I found I can get off the Wing and right on to the Harley with no problem. they are so different in sound feel and ride I never do trike stuff on the bike or bike stuff on the trike. (like putting my feet down on the trike, or not putting them down on the bike)

A thought - If I read correctly, you still have a Streetglide you like. If you can, keep it to ride yourself. Get the Wing for the both of you and maybe longer trips. Best of both worlds X2 - trike and 2 wheeler, GW and HD. Afte ai got used to a trike, I found I can get off the Wing and right on to the Harley with no problem. they are so different in sound feel and ride I never do trike stuff on the bike or bike stuff on the trike. (like putting my feet down on the trike, or not putting them down on the bike)

It all depends on budget.... Well have to see, good thought...:clapping:

attachment.php

Ooooh, I want one! No, not her, pretty girls are a dime a dozen. Servicars, however, in fine condition are rare indeed.

I would give some serious consideration to triking your current ride, and if you like CSC, they make a great kit for your Streetglide. The ride is plush, handles great, and you can keep the Harley sound. I really like my conversion, and would do it again, so, no regrets on my part. Best of luck with your decision.

Amen! given the choice I would convert rather than buy, I loved building mine and I had total say so in quality control.ThumbUp

There are likely folks on here that have owned & ridden both, that can offer you more real world experience information on both machines.

Another thought you need to ponder: Will Honda remove the added trike equipment to work on a drivetrain issue under warranty at no added labor cost to you, for the time required to get to the heart of the problem?
Also, while some Honda dealerships are certainly better than others, I'm not sure how much trust I'd place on this statement: "Also hear a lot of honda dealers will honor the warranty regardless."

Generally, Honda will honor their warranty up to the "connection points" of the conversion kit only. Anything not related to a "stock" Goldwing is not covered.

Generally, Honda will not remove or reinstall anything related to the conversion.

However, there are a couple of Honda dealers that perform the conversions with various trike kits and will warrant the total conversion including the bike. One dealer that I know of is located in South Carolina. The other is located in North Carolina.

What gold rush said. I test drove a tri-glide and was not really impress with the ride. Didn't go very far but in that short distance I knew it was not for me. Bought a gl1800 Goldwing and very very happy with my new ride. I did own a HD heritage classic 2 wheeler and loved it but the heat between my legs was awful. You don't have that heat factor with Honda. Ride much more comfortable, specially on hot days.

Tri glide

My wife has a 2003 1800 we triked last year with the CSC ! I wouldn't do it again !!!! The Honda dealers I have delt with does not cater to GoldWings !! triked gold wings is a dirty word. When I took her trike in for the brake recall. The local Honda Dealer said leave it with him for 12 weeks before he could work on it. !!! There were Honda 4 wheelers backed up for service and repair. He told
Me quick his business was supported by ATV not GoldWings. We were on a trip to Maggie Valley this week the goldwing thru a FI code 25. No body there could tell me anything but. Sorry ! Harley has Service Centers and most will get you back on the road if you are stranded from out of town !!!! Rent you a Tri Glide for a weekend. Rent will go towards purchase !!!!!!

If you are test riding a TRI from a dealer some how get the tire pressure in the 36 to 38 range rear 24 to 26. The dealer trikes are way to much air. Then you can experience the real TRI ride.

My wife has a 2003 1800 we triked last year with the CSC ! I wouldn't do it again !!!! The Honda dealers I have delt with does not cater to GoldWings !! triked gold wings is a dirty word. When I took her trike in for the brake recall. The local Honda Dealer said leave it with him for 12 weeks before he could work on it. !!! There were Honda 4 wheelers backed up for service and repair. He told
Me quick his business was supported by ATV not GoldWings. We were on a trip to Maggie Valley this week the goldwing thru a FI code 25. No body there could tell me anything but. Sorry ! Harley has Service Centers and most will get you back on the road if you are stranded from out of town !!!! Rent you a Tri Glide for a weekend. Rent will go towards purchase !!!!!!

So,would your local Honda dealer have treated you any better if you brought in a GW bike for the recall? Doesn't sound to me like it would have mattered if your wife were riding a GW trike or bike, right?

If a dealer is run by jerks,it doesn't matter a hoot what the heck you're riding. If people think owning a TG is going to get you preferred status at a Harley dealer,local or on the road, you're going to be in for a rude shock.

So,would your local Honda dealer have treated you any better if you brought in a GW bike for the recall? Doesn't sound to me like it would have mattered if your wife were riding a GW trike or bike, right?

If a dealer is run by jerks,it doesn't matter a hoot what the heck you're riding. If people think owning a TG is going to get you preferred status at a Harley dealer,local or on the road, you're going to be in for a rude shock.

I normally agree with most everything you post, but I have to say over the last 7 years of owning a HD Champion conversion and a TRI putting roughly 80k miles on them, my experience at HD dealers has been nothing but great. The 4 years on the 07 road king with a conversion I had a throttle body position switch go out, spark plug wires wear out, a stator replaced and one, on the road service. The 3 years so far with the TRI I have had a battery replaced. All on the road and I was taken care of by the dealer right away. MY TRI just had to have the front head replaced because the mount bolt broke off in the head. Fixed by my local dealer in 6 CALANDER days and they had to order the head. The dealers that provided the service were in Georgia, Arizona, California, and Virginia. My home dealer is in Miami. Never a we are really busy and most were, just we will fix it. Maybe I am a rarity in my experience. Although I have had many other brand bikes over the years I have only on the road experience with the HD.

Exactly my point ! First off I have a Harley ultra Limited ... I can pull into a Harley dealership anywhere in the world. And they will repair or service mine or your bike ... They specialize in motorcycles and trikes !!!!! Not lawn mowers,4 wheelers , boat motors Man the choice is yours on what do buy !!!! Just remember if your back brakes need fixin. You got to go to a CSC dealer.. Yoe Honda dealer want do it !!!!!

Exactly my point ! First off I have a Harley ultra Limited ... I can pull into a Harley dealership anywhere in the world. And they will repair or service mine or your bike ... They specialize in motorcycles and trikes !!!!! Not lawn mowers,4 wheelers , boat motors Man the choice is yours on what do buy !!!! Just remember if your back brakes need fixin. You got to go to a CSC dealer.. Yoe Honda dealer want do it !!!!!

I can see we are getting off message a little here.....I was debating Harley Tri Glide, or G.W with CSC conversion. I will let you know what I have decided. This is based on my own circumstance's and no body elses. First I will say I own a H.D Street glide and very much like it. This was a tough decision, and I also had to have my wife's input in my final decision. Well I chose the Honda 2015 Gold Wing 1800 Annivarsary edition with a new CSC conversion. Here are my reasons: From what I have researched , The wing will be a little more dependable, less maintenance, more comfortable especially for the wife, easier to ride with the EZ steer and IRS. I'm not a tech. guy that likes to work on bikes.

So knowing the wing should hold up better i chose it. It also has a warranty till nov, 2018. The CSC now has a warranty for 5 years. As far as having a dealer network that can work on my bike if need be, I have the CSC dealer, and several Honda dealers both about 15 minutes from me. Iv'e talked to all of them and I won't get the song and dance....they both would be happy to take care of any issues that might arise. Also everyone that I talked to about the G.W, even all the H.D Dealers I went to all had positive things to say about the G.W, nothing negative ( which really surprised me ) I am not bashing H.D. at all. Like I said i was always happy with the harleys I have owned, but you have to stay on top of them, service ect.

I'm getting older now, so budget is a factor. Gw. say service every 8,000 compared to Harley every 5,000. G.w also take reg. gas. Not a deal breaker but a possitive in my mind. Both trikes are great bikes, but one must choose which one is right for you.
Ride safe ThumbUp
Keith

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joefontenot
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png