LED Tail lights

Radiantz Taillights

JC1300,

Do you know what the part number was for the Radiantz LED Non-Flashing Laydown taillights you ordered. Was it 9903-17. Also, are the turn signals the same red color as the stock taillights. I am planning on ordering the same Radiantz taillights as yours for my 2014 TriGlide. Looking forward to your response.

Allen S.

JC1300,

Do you know what the part number was for the Radiantz LED Non-Flashing Laydown taillights you ordered. Was it 9903-17. Also, are the turn signals the same red color as the stock taillights. I am planning on ordering the same Radiantz taillights as yours for my 2014 TriGlide. Looking forward to your response.

Allen S.

Welcome from Missouri Allen!

Just letting you know, your asking a question on a 3 year old thread. Hopefully you will get an answer.

I have a 2017 HD Freewheeler & I replaced the stock rear bulbs with Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs. If you switch to led on an older ride, you may have to use a load equalizer.

I want to give a caveat about using LED bulbs. I too did not (and have not) spent the $300 to upgrade both taillights to LEDs. I had Custom Dynamics LED taillights on my previous bike(s) and want them on my TG also but having to purchase two has kept me from doing so.

Early on I purchased LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. I have bought from them before and they certainly seem to be knowledgeable. The bulbs worked just fine. BUT on a road trip I was leading and a friend also on a 2018 TG was right behind me. The thrid guy in the group asked why my taillights were so much dimmer than the other guy's who had the stock incandescent bulbs. WTF I thought LEDs were brighter. Guess not, lol.

Can't speak for other brands but imagine they might be similar. And BTW superbright told me that with red lenses I should use red bulbs. Something about the wave length of the lights and using white LEDs inside the red lenses would actually be less bright. And yes, I did have the red LEDs when I learned they were less bright than the stock bulbs.

Eventually I may upgrade to the Custom Dynamics taillights. I know for sure they are MUCH brighter than stock. Heck they'll almost blind you. IMO Custom Dynamics is the one and only way to go for lighting upgrades.

I have a 2017 HD Freewheeler & I replaced the stock rear bulbs with Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs. If you switch to led on an older ride, you may have to use a load equalizer.[/QUOTE]

Good evening Michael,

I replaced the rear lights with LED lights. I own a 2016 TG and I didn't need an

equalizer. I believe 2014 and newer are are good to go with new Led lights. I think you are absolutely correct that 2013 and back do need the load equalizer.

Steve

Reactions: MDO
I have always noticed that most ads and pics folks show LEDs in a garage or at night.That really doesn't tell what its gonna look like in the daylight with the sun shining right on them.

JC1300,Do you know what the part number was for the Radiantz LED Non-Flashing Laydown taillights you ordered. Was it 9903-17. Also, are the turn signals the same red color as the stock taillights. I am planning on ordering the same Radiantz taillights as yours for my 2014 TriGlide. Looking forward to your response. Allen S.

Wow - I can't believe I saw this post! It was the 9903-17. If I remember correctly, the sight says it doesn't fit...but it is what I have in my notes. Color is the same.

I have a 2017 HD Freewheeler & I replaced the stock rear bulbs with Sylvania Zevo LED bulbs. If you switch to led on an older ride, you may have to use a load equalizer.

Good evening Michael,

I replaced the rear lights with LED lights. I own a 2016 TG and I didn't need an

equalizer. I believe 2014 and newer are are good to go with new Led lights. I think you are absolutely correct that 2013 and back do need the load equalizer.

Steve[/QUOTE]

As long as it uses the CAN Bus system, a switch to LED's should be fine. The Sylvania bulbs I got were about $20 & have a lifetime warranty. I have a thread on them in the Freewheeler forum.

Good evening Michael,

Steve

As long as it uses the CAN Bus system, a switch to LED's should be fine. The Sylvania bulbs I got were about $20 & have a lifetime warranty. I have a thread on them in the Freewheeler forum.[/QUOTE]

With CANBUS

Softail 2011 and up

All Harleys 2013 and up

I want to give a caveat about using LED bulbs. I too did not (and have not) spent the $300 to upgrade both taillights to LEDs. I had Custom Dynamics LED taillights on my previous bike(s) and want them on my TG also but having to purchase two has kept me from doing so.

Early on I purchased LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. I have bought from them before and they certainly seem to be knowledgeable. The bulbs worked just fine. BUT on a road trip I was leading and a friend also on a 2018 TG was right behind me. The thrid guy in the group asked why my taillights were so much dimmer than the other guy's who had the stock incandescent bulbs. WTF I thought LEDs were brighter. Guess not, lol.

Can't speak for other brands but imagine they might be similar. And BTW superbright told me that with red lenses I should use red bulbs. Something about the wave length of the lights and using white LEDs inside the red lenses would actually be less bright. And yes, I did have the red LEDs when I learned they were less bright than the stock bulbs.

Eventually I may upgrade to the Custom Dynamics taillights. I know for sure they are MUCH brighter than stock. Heck they'll almost blind you. IMO Custom Dynamics is the one and only way to go for lighting upgrades.

bought my bulbs from them too... I don't remember how many rows of bulbs there were, but they have two different bulb... One costs a little bit more... Its got one more row in it, and its just a fuzz brighter... I bought mostly so when one light burnt out, there would still be more lit.... Its not often the whole LED bulb goes bad... But they are not as bright as a good LED light... I have a lay down on my Soft Tail. And its a lot brighter... You get what you pay for... And I wasnt going to pay for two new LED lights

I

Good evening Michael,

Steve[/QUOTE]

My 12 worked ok with replacement bulbs... First I tried the right side, it flashed really fast about 8 times, I switched to the left and it flashed a couple times fast then the right speed, tried the right side and it was ok... They must reset themselves to the lower load

Brightness / Canbus / Color match

IMO....The LED Bulbs will never be as bright....It is correct you need no load equalizers on the 14 on up {I'm pretty sure} On the my 15 all I had to do is turn the bike on...wait for about 15 seconds - Turn the bike off and then on again. All was right in HD'ville.

I know this is a bad video - But you might get an idea of color match, so here goes:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/JCompton1952/videos/vb.1433383122/10207145094812410/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab[/video]

After watching the video.....sorry...lousy results....I'll try in the morning.....

I covered this in my LED thread on the Freewheeler forum, but as previously stated, your led color should match the lens color, or the lens need to be clear.

When I installed Custom Dynamics inserts in my front turn signals, I replaced the stock amber lens with clear. I could have gone with smoke, but wanted the max light output.

I picked the duel LEDs that are white running lights & amber turn signals & I've received numerous positive comments on their brightness.

I have LED bulbs in my factory located tail lights. Also replaced the factory red lens with low profile smoked lens.

BUT, to me, it is very important to SEE & BE SEEN. To that end I do not rely on the factory lighting/mods to the factory lighting to get that done.

Up front I have the Stealth LED Driving Lights and the LED Turn Signal/White Running Lights. Neither blind oncoming traffic, and both give unparalleled additional visibility.

stealth_led_dr_low_1_1.jpg

In back I run the Tour-Pak LED filler which is Run-Brake-Turn and the LED Mud Flaps which are also Run-Brake-Turn. I don't believe one can be more visible, day or night, than with these.

led_mud_flaps_rbt_1_1.jpg

trike_lit_up_1.jpg

They are are available in a Special price package at this LINK

They are not cheap, but less expensive than most other, less effective, options. Small price to pay for some extra safety.

Here's a pic of me getting ready to leave work. Low beams, no brakes or signals. Look at how much light there is out back! Pretty sure folks know I'm on the road. lol

trike_lit_up_2_1.jpg

Kevin

I have LED bulbs in my factory located tail lights. Also replaced the factory red lens with low profile smoked lens.

BUT, to me, it is very important to SEE & BE SEEN. To that end I do not rely on the factory lighting/mods to the factory lighting to get that done.

In back I run the Tour-Pak LED filler which is Run-Brake-Turn and the LED Mud Flaps which are also Run-Brake-Turn. I don't believe one can be more visible, day or night, than with these.

They are are available in a Special price package at this LINK

They are not cheap, but less expensive than most other, less effective, options. Small price to pay for some extra safety.

Here's a pic of me getting ready to leave work. Low beams, no brakes or signals. Look at how much light there is out back! Pretty sure folks know I'm on the road. lol

Kevin

The Back of that bike in the Dark is KILLER!

So Kevin, which LED taillight bulbs are you using? And are you using a factory HD smoked low profile lens? Everything that I have seen so far will cost me over $300 for my trike!

Thanks,

The Back of that bike in the Dark is KILLER!

Agree and Kevin is very serious about lighting. But any decent light is going to look very bright in the dark. On my CVO bike I had the Air Wing tour pak rack to which you could add an LED running / taillight which I did. It wasn't cheap but it was totally ineffective during the daytime. At night it was great but I'm most concerned about visibility during the day when there is more traffic . . . and I seldom ride at night.

In my personal opinion and based on many bike / light combos I've see the complete setups from Custom Dynamics are far and away the brightest and best choice. Not cheap but good and they stand behind their products.

So Kevin, which LED taillight bulbs are you using? And are you using a factory HD smoked low profile lens? Everything that I have seen so far will cost me over $300 for my trike!

Thanks,

I am using some bulbs we got from Drag Specialties. They have discontinued them, but there are others out now.

There is a thread on the subject at this link-

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/38042-LED-TAIL-lights/page3

The low profile smoked lens's were purchased from a small company up in Illinois, can't find their contact infor right now....just spent 15 minutes looking. Very inexpensive and have held up well (zero issues) over the last 50k+ miles.

Regarding what Jerry said...I will get a photo of the rear of my trike during the daylight...it is very bright and effective.

Kevin

Inner dash turn signal display

Hi,

I installed the RADIANTZ LED Tail Lights Part #: 9903-17 on my 2014 Tri Glide. The new LED tail lights are definitely brighter and do flash in sequence with the OEM rear tour pack wrap around and front turn signal lights. However, it now seems the inner dash turn signal green displays are flashing faster than the actual turn signals. Anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Allen S.

Hi,

I installed the RADIANTZ LED Tail Lights Part #: 9903-17 on my 2014 Tri Glide. The new LED tail lights are definitely brighter and do flash in sequence with the OEM rear tour pack wrap around and front turn signal lights. However, it now seems the inner dash turn signal green displays are flashing faster than the actual turn signals. Anybody else experienced this problem?

Allen S.

I didn't install the Radiantz tail lights on my 2014, but did go with the Custom Dynamics front LED turn signals, and I noticed the same thing. Next time I took the trike in for service, when I picked it up, the flash was normal. Service manager said they reflashed the BCM properties (IIRC) and the flash rates matched up. Didn't have the same issue on my '17 TG, so it might have something to do with the electronics from that MY.

For Free! Might ask about it.

Rode into work this morning and stopped along the side of the road to get some photo's of the best rear light set up available (yeah, I'm biased, but look at it! ;) )

Brakes on-

TG%20Day%20Brakes.jpg

Brakes off-

TG%20NO%20Brakes%20day.jpg

Brakes on...this is where you really want to get their attention-

TG%20Day%20Brakes%202.jpg

The lights in the LED Tour-Pak Filler are Run-Brake & Turn...and they are BRIGHT. They get the job done.

The Mud Flap LED set up is also Run-Brake & Turn, and they are attention getters too...icing on the cake.

If you're serious about being seen, there is nothing that can go into the stock fender lights that will match up against these lights....day or night.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png