Michigan dropped helmet law

Yes, the proposal is riders would be required to buy a new helmet every 4 years.
Front rego plates here used to be across the bike so seen from the front. Blocking air flow to the engine if mounted on the front mudguard. It was common to fit them above the headlight,in front of the instruments. I worked in casualty in a hospital at the time. Had more than a few riders have a head on accident, fly over the 'bars and slice off his family jewels.
The "cheese cutter" barriers are. Vertical posts up to 4ft. high with steel woven cable about as thick as your thumb passed through holes in the posts. The final result is a "barrier" that small cars pass between the horizontal cables. Big trucks just plow through the barrier. Motorcyclists slide along the cables and get slices to bits. No amount of protesting,so far has had any effect. Traveling at 60 mph with these barriers a mere couple of feet from your body. I can't get far enough away from them.
Oh, and it's just after 6.30 on Friday evening here. Have a good night.

Thanx for clarifying some of this stuff.......Where the British/European registration plates run parallel with and on top of the front fender and are viewed from the side, in Australia they're viewed from the front. I can see the hazard of mounting them above the headlight and the blockage of air flow if mounted on the mudguards. Seeing as if they're going to require them again, it'd obviously be best to mount them beneath the headlight and across the forks.

The "cheese cutter" barriers sound like a real nightmare!

I quickly looked up "motorcycle helmet material" on a search engine and found this:

What You Should Know About Motorcycle Helmets - Motorcyclist Magazine, February 1991

Under "Choosing a helmet"..........

"However, because they are build to absorb shock, they can also break or crack if severely impacted in an accident, a fall or even if dropped sharply onto a hard surface.".................If they can break or crack if DROPPED sharply onto a hard surface, that doesn't boost my confidence in helmets much at all and I'll keep taking my chances with riding without one.

Under "Replacing your helmet"...........

"Most helmet manufacturers recommend that, under normal use, you should replace your helmet every two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then, replace it sooner.".........there's more written in there about inherent helmet deterioration, etc.......Being more of a skeptic and seeing as it's the helmet manufacturers making this recommendation, I'm leaning towards the helmet manufacturers wanting to hear the cash register go "Ka-CHING!!!"...........LOL!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjslack1981
Back