Ok here goes, My first trike build

John Luciano let me think on that fairing, haven't found another bike yet to convert into a trike. This time I am going to use a independent rear end. As I said before now its one for me. My wife picked out the bike to trike for her and the colors on it. She would help me as much as she could and there are alot of her ideas in that build as well.

If you went with a shaft drive you could use a Subaru rear end. That is independent rear. I also have a beautiful 1986 500 Honda Shadow. Only 46,000 miles on it. Shaft drive. 6 speed.

Ya done good! Hope your tire size & gear ratio work for the street. On my GL1200 trike build I used a Ford Ranger truck rear. Tire size is 205/70R/15 and changed ratio to 3.0 from 3.65. The tall tire, higher gear number give me a good overall gear for highway/country riding and best all-round gas mileage (35-40)and power.

As you can see from my avatar I also have a GL650 Honda V-Twin. It also has a car rear and is mounted with the swing arm not like my GL1200 (sub-frame mounted).

Now, you might consider adding a aux. fuel tank...as the your wife will need the extra range. ;)

2Tz

I have 6 gals as well on the Wing, but still added 2 more. This gets me to the range of the 2-wheeled Gold Wings (1500/1800). You may have to set-up a gravity feed rather than a electric fuel pump for your bike.

2TZ

::Coffee:....... I run three ,, fat boy tanks and two under the body all controlled with a toggle switch and electric fuel pump ......ThumbUp

I have a Tour Tank under my MotorTrike body (my other trike) mounted to my homemade sub-frame work. It really is a "Coyote Oil Tank" from Tour Tank which they sell as well. Just suited my needs better. Good tanks, seals good, has pipe thread "bongs" for attachment of electric fuel pump. Just add a toggle switch to handlebar or fairing pocket. Learn how much "time" is need to drain aux. tank by either having a dash clock or wrist watch.

The other tanks they have are more for gravity feed for motorcycle use (1-3.5 gals) and one needs to put a "T" and a on/off fuel petcock in the fuel line. In this set-up, one uses the aux. tank 1st (most are mounted to rear seat/rear rack) THEN uses the stock gas tank fuel last. As this gives YOU a way to know "when" to re-fuel as it's just like a normal turn on the reserve for operator.

Some guys have been using Harbor Freight/Pep Boys/Walmart air pump tanks which cost about $25.00 for re-airing your car tires. They dis-assemble the unit... and add bongs for fuel outlet and add a gas cap. Their mostly steel units but some aluminum...check with a magnet. Don't throw the pump away...you can still use it.

2TZ

Thanks for the info, I am trying to get it on the road by next week. so I can shake it down and deal with anything that may pop up. then take my wife out on it to a big parking lot to start getting use to it.

well had it running again and tried to sync the carbs, but no matter what I do they won't sycn up. So I am going to pull the carbs and clean them again to see what happens, also exhaust pipes started to turn blue which means it was too lean.

thanks for the kind words on the body panels, they are not perfect but will do the job. Pulled the carbs and the float levels were off, so I reset them and tried again ran better but not great. I found 2 vacuum lines that go from the intake to the petcocks colasping, so I replaced them and what a difference, now maybe I can sync the carbs. And take it for a ride.

got the carbs done today and boy what a difference. I took the trike out for her maiden ride and it was fantastic, handled well and rode well. Just have to make a couple of small adjustments and ride her again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png