Putting trike in neutral

Inch forward, pull in the clutch, push down gently on the heel shifter and BINGO it'll go right into neutral every time.

I haven't been on my Trike since last October when I put it in hibernation before heading to Florida. But we're leaving Florida this weekend and looking forward to getting back on the Trike in Wisconsin. Our Florida riding has been on the Sportster which is fun but isn't the comfortable Trike ride. I always found the Trike was easier to get into neutral if I did it just before coming to a complete stop.

I haven't been on my Trike since last October when I put it in hibernation before heading to Florida. But we're leaving Florida this weekend and looking forward to getting back on the Trike in Wisconsin. Our Florida riding has been on the Sportster which is fun but isn't the comfortable Trike ride. I always found the Trike was easier to get into neutral if I did it just before coming to a complete stop.

This also works every time for me.

I have found this to be generally true on my 16 and now my 19 Trike. It is the same as I did when on 2 wheels.

I have found this to be generally true on my 16 and now my 19 Trike. It is the same as I did when on 2 wheels.

Thanks guys for this tip. I will definitely try it next time out. BTW, I do not have a heel shifter. I do not like them and had it taken off before I picked up the bike. I know many like the heel shifter but it is just not for me.

I use to shift into neutral when coming to a traffic stop. But, during the Three Wheeled Riders Course the instructor strongly advised against this in case an urgent takeoff was needed. I countered that it just takes a quick clutch grab and toe down to get underway. He then said, well visualize an 18 wheeler barreling down on you...would you prefer to just release the clutch and throttle quickly out of harms way or take those extra steps you just described....Seconds Count!! I changed that practice....realize everyone's mileage may vary.:)

I use to shift into neutral when coming to a traffic stop. But, during the Three Wheeled Riders Course the instructor strongly advised against this in case an urgent takeoff was needed. I countered that it just takes a quick clutch grab and toe down to get underway. He then said, well visualize an 18 wheeler barreling down on you...would you prefer to just release the clutch and throttle quickly out of harms way or take those extra steps you just described....Seconds Count!! I changed that practice....realize everyone's mileage may vary.:)

I've heard that argument before. To be honest by the time you decide that 18 wheeler isn't going to stop you won't have time to move anyway, I doubt the 1/2 second it takes you to slam it into 1st gear will make any difference. But like you point out, everyone's mileage may vary.

I've heard that argument before. To be honest by the time you decide that 18 wheeler isn't going to stop you won't have time to move anyway, I doubt the 1/2 second it takes you to slam it into 1st gear will make any difference. But like you point out, everyone's mileage may vary.

Agree with you. I think the Instructor was just trying emphasize the possible benefits of downshifting and remaining in 1st gear at stops. Any benefits resulting from this practice will be purely situational. But when I was a student in Logistics Intern Training, one instructor would always tell us, "Leave Nothing To Chance!" That phrase still guides me in my thoughts and actions daily.:)

To the OP, finding neutral on my trike is not problem for me.

I'm with the guys who slip it into neutral just before you come to a complete stop. Easy.

I'm not in the habit of putting it in neutral at a stop light. Especially now, with the Rekluse clutch. You can relax your left hand, let go of that clutch lever. When the light turns, or if that semi is coming, just throttle and go.

I love my Rekluse clutch. So does my worn out left arm.

Couldnt Agree More

Does anyone else find it difficult to get your Trike into neutral? My 2009 Ultra Classic was the same way. When trying to put into neutral I go up/down, up/down, on and on until I finally find the sweet spot for neutral. Seems that Harleys are just frustrating for this function. If everyone else finds it easy what are you tricks? I am not a novice rider but this neutral shift thing is very frustrating. Thanks

I got about 520 miles on her now and it is getting easier.. the one thing i have noticed is if i am rolling when i do it it seem to be easier than at a dead stop.

I am having the same issue, could not get it into N no matter what I tried. Spent lots of time trying different things.

I searched on YouTube and I found this video:

And I thought nah that's not going to work. But I tried it, engine off, and I do not know how it works but it worked for me twice in a row, slid straight into neutral.

Curious if anyone else has the same experience. Why would this work??

If you have a heel shifter......When at a stop in first Clutch in ...Very gently tap it with your heel...

But technically Harleys 'DON'T' have a neutral, There is just a very small air space where neutral is hiding....:laugh:...

''BUMP''.....

I keep my primary oil right at the bottom of the derby cover hole. Never had a problem. Just before I come to a stop give the lever a slight tap and she's right there as long as you are in first or second gear.2019 TG

Finding neutral

OK, so Does anybody else have a testimony about using a different oil and making it easier to put in neutral.

1. I have read about redline and Amsoil and that seems to be a cure.

2. I have read about the heel/toe shifter as to being a cure

3.I have seen that YouTube video about using your foot at a slight angle which seems to be a cure.

4. I have read about popping it into neutral just before you come to a stop as being a cure.

5. Have read about less oil in the primary having the cure also.

Don’t know exactly how a different type/brand of oil would make a difference, but there are some testimonies out there that say it really does. Anybody out there that really believes the oil brand had the cure?

I am just about ready to change my oil in my TG

Last edited:
OK, so Does anybody else have a testimony about using a different oil and making it easier to put in neutral.

1. I have read about redline and Amsoil and that seems to be a cure.

2. I have read about the heel/toe shifter as to being a cure

3.I have seen that YouTube video about using your foot at a slight angle which seems to be a cure.

4. I have read about popping it into neutral just before you come to a stop as being a cure.

5. Have read about less oil in the primary having the cure also.

Don’t know exactly how a different type/brand of oil would make a difference, but there are some testimonies out there that say it really does. Anybody out there that really believes the oil brand had the cure?

I am just about ready to change my oil in my TG

IMO, the gear oil and level are the best start especially if your trike is a hydraulic clutch

The gear oil needs to fly off the clutch plates easily to promote non sticky and poor releasing clutches

Redline has served me well for years, I have not used Amzoil products

Bel Ray and Spectro are also very good

Shifting into neutral I found out was more of slight pressure on the heel or toe shifter, than actually shifting into gear. It will slip in if the bike, or trike is properly serviced and within the rpm range it needs to be in. Not trying to actually shift into another gear, just trying to get between the gears.

The only times I have had this problem on my '16 Freewheeler I found that I was actually just bouncing between 2nd and 3rd. YMMV.

Back