Rake Q & A

Re: How much rake on a Trike

I posted about it earlier, and didn't realize that I left off what I used - it's a 5* from Frankenstein - put it on at the same time we did the conversion. I did a lot of reading, and EVERY SINGLE post I read where someone put the rake on after not having it said, 'why did I wait so long'? So I didn't wait.... Like I think I said before, on the first test ride it was set up like a 2-wheeler, and it was ug-ly! all over the place and I gotta say I was downright scared that I'd done a bad thing by converting. Then I remembered and we took the "fall away" out - there is no comparison. Anything over about 25 mph and she handles pretty darn close to exactly the same as when she was on 2 wheels!

Glad it worked out for You...."Raked" (IMO) is the only way to go....puts the 2-wheeler responsiveness back in em'.....:wtg:

I can wiggle the handle bars going 60mph and the bike just wiggles. Does not get crazy at all. But does changes lanes quickly. Very cool effect.

I would think 8* would be to much, but that's my opinion. Does handle very nicely in parking lots at slower speeds.

Did you (or anyone for that matter) need to add fork extensions and handlebar risers after you raked it? Would the head light adjust, or did you need to buy a special bracket to compensate?

I didn't use any spacers. With the change in distance from front to rear tire it was a push. I did have to adjust headlight a touch but not much. I went to a lower riser but mainly due to the fairing.

Hey Smoken'JOE, explain..."With the change in distance from front to rear tire it was a push"........I got "lost" somewhere....THANKS.....:wtg:

Hey Smoken'JOE, explain..."With the change in distance from front to rear tire it was a push"........I got "lost" somewhere....THANKS.....:wtg:

The rear tires are further back now than it was on 2 wheels and the wheels are bigger in my case. Went from a 15" to a 16". I only had to adjust very slightly.

I've got the 6 degree over triple trees on mine. The result is VERY reponsive stearing. And I didn't use spacers either. As you may see from my pictures, the frame is fairly level... distance to the ground from the frame however is a low 3.5 inches. I might also add that I have Progressive springs in the forks as well. And I didn't add a headlight extension either.:no: Chumbly-:D

Re: rake/trail

like pup said, i'm running a 7 degree rake with +4 over tubes. it would have only required a +2 over front, but my rear tires brought the ride height up some and i needed to level it out. i have absolutely no handling issues with mine and can let go on a straightaway without so much as a shudder. extremely stable and perfect for a one-armed guy. haha...

grimm

Re: rake/trail

Want that wobble to go away? Use a girder front end, and get on Pad Point! What's important here is (exactly) where the axle is in relation to that spot on the ground(pad point). Run a line straight thru the head; where it hits the ground is Pad Point! If the axle is in front of PP then you get "oversteer", if behind then you get "understeer".

Been wrestling with this too. I eventually want a Seeger for the long forks, but initially I'm going to try the Frankenstein with my existing setup. I've got a Deuce with Pro One 5 degree trees, so trail should be reduced somewhat from a stock setup. Stock Deuce neck is 32 deg + 1 degree in trees, I believe. So I'm at 32 + 5. I actually prefer trail on the high side - don't ride twisties much and love the high speed stability of a little extra trail.

I found a cool computer trick a couple of years ago..if you want to place a degree symbol on a post, hold the ALT button and type 248 on the keyboard..6° , 4.5° etc.

Having racked up some miles on the Frank triked Deuce, I can report that the 5 deg trees work very well. Minimal steering effort and rock steady at all speeds - can take hands off the bars at 70 and she tracks straight as an arrow. No vibrations anywhere. The only 'instability' is at crawling speed on rough roads or parking lots - but I've not tightened the stem bolt would help with this if it bothered me - which it doesn't. Looking into the Seeger now - I can't see my front wheel :D.

6° 4÷ i guess 246 is divide Wow ⌡ 5÷2 = 2.5 never could do that either cool 6° I love it.

Simple answer: Resistance (or lack thereof) to turning created by tightening (or loosening) the tension of the neck bearings on the races, adjusted with the fork stem bolt.

Front Tire, Rake & Handling

Fairly new here, so didn't know if new posts to old threads would "bump" or not. Have been reading about these subjects and thought I would throw in my .02. I have a '99 Valkyrie I/S with a Triwing conversion. Approximately 21K on the Trike, 79K total. Curb weight is 1200 lbs, with 380 lbs on the front axle and 820 lbs on the rear.

When I first did the conversion, I left the original front, a Dunlop E3 on. Not a good choice! It is still in my garage with about 3K miles left on it. (Maybe somebody riding a Valk will need it someday & I can give it to them) I replaced that with a BT 021 radial rear reversed. 15K miles and it is pretty much worn out. It cupped badly and had high speed balance issues. Eventually figured out it had a bad belt. Second replacement is a Macadam 50 rear reversed. After approx 5K miles, it has worn 1/32" out of a useable 6/32". I can feel the difference in handling between the two, with the Bias being better.

I also did not initially install a raked tree. Another bad choice! I now have an 8*, yes 8, raked tree. Pretty much like power steering. No 'twitchy" feel at any speeds. I have run 650 mile days on all types of roads with no fatigue issues from the steering.

I ride mostly in the mountains, two up, and have no problem "keeping up". I usually run the posted speed limit to 5 over on any road I am on. I find that the machine is just fine running a "constant" line through the curves. Just power through the curve and no problem. Only time I need to really set up a line is if I am really pushing it through hard twisties.

So that has been my experience so far and I hope it is useful info for someone here. Stan

Re: Front Tire, Rake & Handling

How did you manage an 8* rake? I've got a 04 GL with a 4.5* rake but would love to rake it out that much. Not even sure I can!

What is the parking lot turning radius on an 8-inch rake. Can you turn it around in the middle of a two-lane road? I just ask because going back to my chopper days with a long-neck bike...I could hardly turn the thing around in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. I am sure it handles very well going down the road.

Don't know the turning radius, but maybe can get that for you in a day or so, weather permitting. Yes, it will turn around on most two lanes. Stan

Skuuter: That's interesting to know. I do a lot of twisties, but I do a lot more of Interstate riding. And not just at 70 mph either :D Glad you brought that up. Maybe the 4 1/2* I got right now ain't that bad after all! Thks for the heads-up. That's why I love this Forum ThumbUp

Back