Reverse motor repair

rino-2; I looked up Motor Trike's web page and looks like a good unit. Still looking, Thanks DJ

prariepilot; I will call Performance Alternator and Starter in Canton OH on Friday and it will be interesting to here about such a warranty.

How long since you had the reverse rebuilt? Thanks DJ

BinIdaho; I certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I thought it would be best to search on the subject, add too it instead of starting new. Please accept my apology. Thanks DJ

Mykneesbehurtin; I will call The Electric Garage Beavercreek Ohio 937-429-9951 Friday and see if they still offer motor rebuilds. Thanks DJ

rino-2; I looked up Motor Trike's web page and looks like a good unit. Still looking, Thanks DJ

If you do go with the Motor Trike..... Make Sure you also install the reverse lock-out wiring harness.. It comes with the kit' And will stop you from putting the trans into first while your in reverse....

And Don't let anyone tell you its not needed....

Reverse Rebuild

DJ,

Mine was replaced in April with a Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse Unit. NO Regrets!

The stock H-D electric motor is still on the workbench until we ride out to Canton to drop it off (may never happen!!). It hasn't been redone yet. Just hasn't been a priority since the Motor Trike unit went in.

I spend my summers in western PA. I'm not riding to Canton from FL!

Last edited:
DJ,

Mine was replaced in April with a Motor Trike Mechanical Reverse Unit. NO Regrets!

The stock H-D electric motor is still on the workbench until we ride out to Canton to drop it off (may never happen!!). It hasn't been redone yet. Just hasn't been a priority since the Motor Trike unit went in.

I spend my summers in western PA. I'm not riding to Canton from FL!

I wish I lived closer we might have to talk about cleaning the space on your bench where that motor sits, my Dad lives in Gonzalez Fla. and I live in Talladega Al. just had mine replaced under warranty last week and when I have the time I going to look into it to see what I can find.

I wish I lived closer we might have to talk about cleaning the space on your bench where that motor sits, my Dad lives in Gonzalez Fla. and I live in Talladega Al. just had mine replaced under warranty last week and when I have the time I going to look into it to see what I can find.

Woody,

When the warranty expires, or the reverse motor dies again, on your '14 get the motor trike mechanical or equivalent. I may wind up using the one on the bench for a deep-sea fishing sinker! LOL!

I have an update on what I decided to do with my H-D reverse motor.

Before I add it to this list (without ruffling any feathers of this old thread) would it be best for me to start a new thread. Thanks DJ

If what you want to post pertains to the subject of the original thread continuing to post to that thread is appropriate.

H-D Reverse Motor

I have been reading everyone’s comments on what is best to do when the H-D reverse motor quits working. Mine is DOA.

I looked into Motor Trikes mechanical reverse at the cost of $1395 + Tax. I contacted a dealer to see what the installation cost would be… 4 hours labor = $400, Warranty for one year.

I contacted the Harley Davidson service department…. Cost of a reverse motor #1475.95 + Tax and around 1 hour labor for installation = $100, Warranty for one year.

Then I called Performance Starter and Alternator Inc. in Canton, OH. and spoke with Mike the owner. He rebuilds the reverse motors himself due to the complexity and insuring these are water tight. The costis $295 + shipping and insurance would = $348 total. I questioned him regarding his ad “LifetimeWarranty”? Mike said this was for dealers only but will warranty a rebuild for one year (same as H-D).

So, I removed my reverse motor from the 2011 Tri- glide with 38,786 miles and sent it to Performance Inc in Canton OH.

He said he was two weeks behind before he could the rebuild.

Also, of all the ones he has rebuilt only one was returned from a dealer in Florida. The dealer said it wasn’t returned for under a warranty work order. The owners of the Tri-Glide went to a party, got drunk and preceded to run the bike in reverse twice around the block before it quit running in reverse and lol about it. Go figure.

I will post an update when I get it returned. DJ

Pcombe; Yes there is a reset (red) push button switch located behind the right side cover. The H-D Tech said that this reset switch has a mechanical arm which swings open when the button is pushed and sometimes opens by its self while riding. If it’s open it needs reset (arm closed). . According to the Tech there are no resets on the drive motor itself.

PosseRider; Yes, it is nice to locate a repair shop and was able to discuss the issue with owner who will be doing the work. Thanks to this list for all the information.

The most difficult part was removing the reverse motor. However, after I removed the right rear tire it became a lot easier. If anyone is planning on removing their reverse motor you will need a long extension, 17mm & 8mm sockets to disconnect wiring from the motor and 5/8” socket to remove the RM.

Thanks for everyone’s help. DJ

I finally got around to looking at the motor I have on my work bench. I found the brushes in the motor were stuck and not making contact with the armature so I cleaned it up lubed the brushes a little then reassembled put 12 volts to it and it ran like a champ. I don't want to take my new one off to try this one but if something happens I will.

I finally got around to looking at the motor I have on my work bench. I found the brushes in the motor were stuck and not making contact with the armature so I cleaned it up lubed the brushes a little then reassembled put 12 volts to it and it ran like a champ. I don't want to take my new one off to try this one but if something happens I will.

Thats what i found on mine 3 times....The brushes [carbon] soften/corrode with moisture, And especially with snow removal chemicals . And they will get progressively worst every time they get wet .. And jam in the clips and won't make contact with the armature...New brushers with new bush plate will help for a much longer time...

Thats what i found on mine 3 times....The brushes [carbon] soften/corrode with moisture, And especially with snow removal chemicals . And they will get progressively worst every time they get wet .. And jam in the clips and won't make contact with the armature...New brushers with new bush plate will help for a much longer time...

Thanks Rhino, where did you find the new brushes and clip?

Thanks Rhino, where did you find the new brushes and clip?

I never did... I had a rebuilder do it... Brushes' Plate And armature.. 95 Dollars and he did it while i waited...That lasted for a little over a year... Then i had a Motor-Trike mechanical reverse put in.... All my reverse troubles are over... I've said this before quite a few times... Now i don't fear any parking spot...I park where i want and when i want..Up hill' down hill 'gravel dirt grass' itdontmatteranymore....:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png