Reverse motor repair

Just a short update on the reverse motor I sent to Performance Inc.

I sent the unit UPS 9/23 and delivered 9/27. On 9/29 Mike at Performance Inc. called saying he disassembled the reverse motor and found the armature is burnt/scored & brushes were no good. He needed verbal ok for the rebuild in which I did.

He said his work schedule is backed up about two week. I told him thanks for the communications and his schedule works for me.

I will update later. DJ

Just a short update on the reverse motor I sent to Performance Inc.

I sent the unit UPS 9/23 and delivered 9/27. On 9/29 Mike at Performance Inc. called saying he disassembled the reverse motor and found the armature is burnt/scored & brushes were no good. He needed verbal ok for the rebuild in which I did.

He said his work schedule is backed up about two week. I told him thanks for the communications and his schedule works for me.

I will update later. DJ

Any update on this, DJ? My rev. motor on my 2010 is about to go south. Speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down. This is with accelerating the engine. Battery replaced a year ago(?) I don't use reverse that much but the trike has been through some torrential downpours. Considering Performance Inc.

Any update on this, DJ? My rev. motor on my 2010 is about to go south. Speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down. This is with accelerating the engine. Battery replaced a year ago(?) I don't use reverse that much but the trike has been through some torrential downpours. Considering Performance Inc.

When it/if does go south... Bite the bullet and get a mechanical reverse, You never regret it. Did that with my 11 Tri....

Hi Boom, I would have answered you sooner but I just returned from a 4200 mile road trip.

Performance Inc. did rebuild my reverse motor and to date I have had no problems with it at all. They even back up the rebuild (mentioned in an earlier thread) better than Harley. I would highly recommend them. DJ

I just saw this thread

The reverse starter is a Piece of JUNK

That said, it is akin to a Toyota starter

IMO it was NEVER built to take that HIGH of a current load without burnin the piss out of the brushes, armature and bushings

I have checked the voltage drop on and off a 15 Freewheeler, U would not belive it, I was amazed

I will not even think about rebuilding another 1

I would build my own

The parts( made in USA) can be had from most GOOD auto parts outlets, you just have to find a trusted source JMHO

I just saw this thread

The reverse starter is a Piece of JUNK

That said, it is akin to a Toyota starter

IMO it was NEVER built to take that HIGH of a current load without burnin the piss out of the brushes, armature and bushings

I have checked the voltage drop on and off a 15 Freewheeler, U would not belive it, I was amazed

I will not even think about rebuilding another 1

I would build my own

The parts( made in USA) can be had from most GOOD auto parts outlets, you just have to find a trusted source JMHO

Jack....Just Semantics here, But the reverse motor is Not a starter motor, Its a high toque low RPM electric motor....And at least on my 11Tri..It was made by Hitachi...

Said it before, I'll say it again. When my reverse finally craps, I will have a Baker or Moto Trike installed. Predicted on the warranty being expired.

Said it before, I'll say it again. When my reverse finally craps, I will have a Baker or Moto Trike installed. Predicted on the warranty being expired.

Once you do it, You'll be amazed at how many parking situations you have avoided in the past, Like parking down hill in a gravel parking lot, And now you can back out just like normal people can with a 35 thousand dollar vehicle can, Or for that matter with a 5 thousand dollar Hoopie........

Once you do it, You'll be amazed at how many parking situations you have avoided in the past, Like parking down hill in a gravel parking lot, And now you can back out just like normal people can with a 35 thousand dollar vehicle can, Or for that matter with a 5 thousand dollar Hoopie........

Way less expensive than paying my ex wife to push me backwards out of parking spots 😁

Jack....Just Semantics here, But the reverse motor is Not a starter motor, Its a high toque low RPM electric motor....And at least on my 11Tri..It was made by Hitachi...

Thanks, I knew that :cool:

This is a great community with all yall sharing to help, I love it

The reason I call it a starter motor is lack of better terms out of my mouth

Thanks for clearing that up for the others:cool:

Thanks, I knew that :cool:

This is a great community with all yall sharing to help, I love it

The reason I call it a starter motor is lack of better terms out of my mouth

Thanks for clearing that up for the others:cool:

The reason i mention that, Is if you call a rebuilder and ask can you rebuild my starter motor , They will say, Yes we can.....Then when you bring it in you'll hear 'whats that No can do.... Happened to me 3 times till i found a throwback shop from the 50's, Who took it as a challenge and did it as i watched/waited.. 95 dollars...Three + years ago, Don't know what he chargers now....:Shrug:

I must have a rabbits foot up my butt. I've had a 2012 (27K) and now a 2014 (38K)TG. Not one problem with the reverse. I do a lot of backing up - level and inclines. A couple times I've backed up over 100' on the highway because I overshot a sign for the ABC's of Touring contest. No blown fuses or slowing down.

I do have the 7 year extended warrantee, so I'm not worried - at least for the next 4 years. :D

Glad to see this repair info - just in case I need it in 5 or 6 years.

A sticky would be great.

Come on, Bob. We are normal people, and a lot of us drive $35,000 trikes( or more).

Come on, Bob. We are normal people, and a lot of us drive $35,000 trikes( or more).

You know Bill'.. When someone who knows nothing about Trikes walks up to me and asks, If you don't mind my asking' How much do those things cost, ?

And when i tell them , A little north of 35k....You get the look from them, Like thats the Dozen price .....How much for just one...:Shrug:....

To them we ain't normal...:laugh:

I must have a rabbits foot up my butt. I've had a 2012 (27K) and now a 2014 (38K)TG. Not one problem with the reverse. I do a lot of backing up - level and inclines. A couple times I've backed up over 100' on the highway because I overshot a sign for the ABC's of Touring contest. No blown fuses or slowing down.

I do have the 7 year extended warrantee, so I'm not worried - at least for the next 4 years. :D

Glad to see this repair info - just in case I need it in 5 or 6 years.

A sticky would be great.

DAMN!!! I spoke too soon.

When I was up in Milwaukee for the HOG rally last weekend, my reverse quit on me. Had to try to remember how to park correctly the last few days. :D

It's in the dealer now. Service manager did mention that reving the motor helps a little in reversing. He use to work for Harley corporate and was on the team the worked on the reverse mechanism. Also said I should not have backed up that 100' on the highway- I could have burned out the motor. The motor was not designed for extended use like that or for going uphill - just level short scoots. I asked him why Harley didn't go with mechanical reverse and he said it was more costly then a simple ring gear and motor.

Sure glad I have the extended warranty. I've saved more than double the cost of it in repairs so far and I have 4 more years to go.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daddy Lew
Back