Reverse Motor

I tried to get a Baker reverse for my conversion (2006 FLHTI), but it only works for the 6 speed tranny. I ended up with a Champion reverse, and have been very pleased with its performance...I can back up anywhere.

Friday I backed my 2012 Triglide into the garage. When I shut the bike down, It felt like it was still in gear. I checked to be sure the hand brake wasn't engaged, it wasn't. I started the bike, put it in 1st gear, slowly let out on the clutch, and it kind of jumped, but was freed up. When I put it into neutral, and tried to go into reverse, the reverse motor, just zingggged. It ran, but wouldn't engage. The dealer said it was a reverse gear that went. Wonder what I could or should have done different??

Friday I backed my 2012 Triglide into the garage. When I shut the bike down, It felt like it was still in gear. I checked to be sure the hand brake wasn't engaged, it wasn't. I started the bike, put it in 1st gear, slowly let out on the clutch, and it kind of jumped, but was freed up. When I put it into neutral, and tried to go into reverse, the reverse motor, just zingggged. It ran, but wouldn't engage. The dealer said it was a reverse gear that went. Wonder what I could or should have done different??

Well that motor hanging up in the gear was the first symptom I had before my motor went out. It did that 3 time and then it was all over. It never did trip the circuit breaker. I have been waiting for a new motor for a week and a half now, if I don't have one by Wed. I'm having the Champion kit put on and the heck with the electric reverse.

Sam

I have the Champion reverse and love it. I make it a practice to never leave the trike in reverse after I park. By the way the new Champion has a kill switch that if you put it in reverse and first gear at the same time it will kill the motor.

I have the Champion reverse and love it. I make it a practice to never leave the trike in reverse after I park. By the way the new Champion has a kill switch that if you put it in reverse and first gear at the same time it will kill the motor.
really I have to check out that new feature..

Why would they kill the motor. Guess that is "fail safe". I would settle for the horn sounding or some light on the dash, but that's just me. I have the Champion Reverse, no problems, just follow the correct process every time.

I still have found no information on where or how it kills the motor..where did you see this information at??

My reverse just started acting up. I put it in reverse (stock Harley electric), Then it surges. It moves a little and stops. if I hold the button it will go a little and stop go a little and stops. It has no power at all. Looks like dealer time, again! I am also having to ad a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. No smoking or leaks, have no idea where it is going.

Last time I went to dealer he put 42 psi of air in my REAR tires, left out emergency brake allen screw for locking handle in place, and my muffler fell off. I do NOT know about these wizards!

My reverse just started acting up. I put it in reverse (stock Harley electric), Then it surges. It moves a little and stops. if I hold the button it will go a little and stop go a little and stops. It has no power at all. Looks like dealer time, again! I am also having to ad a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. No smoking or leaks, have no idea where it is going.

Last time I went to dealer he put 42 psi of air in my REAR tires, left out emergency brake allen screw for locking handle in place, and my muffler fell off. I do NOT know about these wizards!

If you still don't have an allen screw, I would advise putting a screw in there with a head on it. They can tighten the original screw in there so far that it will drop inside the handle which locks up the entire adjustment. Happened to me twice. Others will say remove the entire mechanism but I still like using mine.

Dave, I would be looking for another dealer in a hurry!

I should not have gone back to the dealer. Took bike over on Friday, by the end of the day they were not done, went back to get my helmet so I could ride a rental bike home. The Tech was pouring 75-140 gear oil into the primary case, ask him what happened to the 10-40 for the primary, he said he put that into the transmission! Called Saturday, they said they could not fix the reverse as they don't have the parts. They say it is a clip on the gear? I don't know about these idiots! If they can't get the oil correct I am wondering if they can even do the repairs much less the 20,000 service! At least I got a loaner bike from them. So much for these trained technicians!

My reverse motor went out a few week ago first it started tripping the breaker then just worked every now and then. I was out of warranty so the dealer ship said they called harley and they said they they would replace the reverse motor for a 100.00 complimentary charge but I still had the labor charge still better than paying 1400.00 for the reverse motor. Harley knows they have a problem I bet

I should not have gone back to the dealer. Took bike over on Friday, by the end of the day they were not done, went back to get my helmet so I could ride a rental bike home. The Tech was pouring 75-140 gear oil into the primary case, ask him what happened to the 10-40 for the primary, he said he put that into the transmission! Called Saturday, they said they could not fix the reverse as they don't have the parts. They say it is a clip on the gear? I don't know about these idiots! If they can't get the oil correct I am wondering if they can even do the repairs much less the 20,000 service! At least I got a loaner bike from them. So much for these trained technicians!

Obviously you made them drain the oils and put the correct ones in each hole?

Obviously you made them drain the oils and put the correct ones in each hole?

Definitely yes!! I don't know how I will know for sure, as they did not let me remain in the shop because of the ruckus I created questioning their intelligence and training and mentioning their IQ must be somewhere around the same as a bowling ball.

Definitely yes!! I don't know how I will know for sure, as they did not let me remain in the shop because of the ruckus I created questioning their intelligence and training and mentioning their IQ must be somewhere around the same as a bowling ball.

Ouch! I hope you don't go back to that dealer again! lol!:laugh:

if your clutch starts acting up you will know why. I would make sure you get that error noted somewhere on the billing so they cannot deny it if the clutch does act up.

Ouch! I hope you don't go back to that dealer again! lol!:laugh:

They still have the trike apart awaiting parts to fix reverse. I just called and still do NOT have the parts. I do NOT have a good feeling about these idiots. It is the dealer where I purchased the trike, do NOT think I will return there after this fiasco. Problem is most of the dealers around here are not know to employ the sharpest tacks in the box.

Problem is most of the dealers around here are not know to employ the sharpest tacks in the box.

We have the same problem around here also. For some reason they think just because their a certified Harley Davidson master Technician their a mechanic all of a sudden, some are just parts changers with little to no troubleshooting skills.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png