Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

Re: Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

I must have missed this.

TOBT39_zpsc91be07f.jpg

Hey Mary, what did that sign say? :)

TOBT40_zps8227821e.jpg

The pictures don't really do this justice...it was pretty dadgum amazing.

TOBT41_zpsa72582fc.jpg

The road too! :)

TOBT42_zps156a7212.jpg

TOBT43_zps1b3e3b29.jpg

I am fully recovered from the 99 miles of non-stop curves in Idaho and fully enjoying them at a good clip here. lol

TOBT44_zpse0f8c0ff.jpg

TOBT45_zps6a00e92d.jpg

There is almost no traffic, we saw less than 10 cars in over 50 miles of some of the best road in the USA.

TOBT46_zpsd9ee3abb.jpg

More in next post.

We stopped at this same look-out where Mary fed the chipmunks a month ago. We stayed for awhile and watched the sun disappear behind the mountains.

Panoramic shot-

TOBT47_zps29ff6fdc.jpg

It was a bit chilly and we were wearing our mesh, but we had the gerbing jacket liners on below, so all was good.

TOBT48_zpsb8f9e42b.jpg

Another shot from the same look-out.

TOBT49_zps9ea43d80.jpg

Back on our way...headed to Red Lodge, MT for the night.

TOBT50_zps130d331c.jpg

The camera did not take such good pics in low light, but some of them turned out pretty cool looking.

TOBT51_zps5eae6818.jpg

Super fun road!!! The TG does just fine going down the interstate, but it loves the winding roads.

TOBT52_zps120edf74.jpg

Last pic of the day. We will be in Red Lodge, MT tonight. We did not plan it, but tomorrow is the beginning of The Beartooth Rally, hosted by BoneDaddy. We will have some pics of that next before heading out to Spearfish.

TOBT53_zpsd75e4239.jpg

ThumbUp,,,,more amazing pictures ,,,,the one where the rays seem to be shooting through the top of the clouds over the mountains is fantastic ,as are the others that one just stood out for me . I remember riding the Trace and my wife was flipping out over a deer running beside us ,:gah:,,doggone what would she do with a buffalo .:Shrug:

It's a 1 hour 40 minute ride...30 nautical miles. We did not take many pic on the way over...looked around the ferry a lot, and just enjoyed the ride. (coming up we have lots of pics of the ride back)

Here we are approaching Nanaimo on the Island.

Ferry11_zps5247dcaa.jpg

Coming into the bay, we are at the very front on the top deck.

Ferry12_zps28b38de7.jpg

After offloading we turn north.

Ferry13_zps66ae2fc7.jpg

Stopped to get some fuel, this tricked out bug was in the parking lot.

Ferry14_zps8c7ef55c.jpg

We are heading north, toward Campbell River, on the coastal scenic route.

Ferry15_zps685a8a15.jpg

Mary caught a pic of this deer about 75 yards off the road, thru some trees.

Ferry16_zps7c311716.jpg

The tide is way out!

Ferry17_zps771593a1.jpg

WAY, Way out! Walked out, talked to some locals, they confirmed that all this is underwater when the tide comes in...right now it is over a kilometer from where I am standing to the water.

Ferry18_zpsf628718a.jpg

We ride the coastal route all the way to Campbell River. It was nice.

Of course, there is much more to Vancouver Island than this little 200 mile round trip. But we gotta head back to the ferry to get back to Horsehoe Bay.

We took the expressway back. Saw a sign for Cumberland...sounded like it might be some mountains, so we took that offramp and wandered inland.

Found this lake.

Ferry19_zps57c31015.jpg

Lots of locals there, swimming, kayaking, skiing. We hung out for a bit.

Ferry20_zps99948cb3.jpg

More in next post.
I haven't been in Nanimo in 22 years, When we got off the ferry we headed across the island and wound up in a fishing village called Tofino. Spent a couple days camping on the beach and smashing fresh seafood in our faces.
We took a whale watching tour and i still remember that i started seeing some tails from way out and thought that was about it.
The boat guide got us right into the middle of three blue whales. they dive and resurface about every five minutes. When they come to the surface and blow three or four times he would whip in beside of that huge monster so you could almost reach out and touch it.

When it would dive again he would whip the boat out away from it and that huge tail would be towering above us. My God i will never get a rush like that again?

ThumbUp,,,,more amazing pictures ,,,,the one where the rays seem to be shooting through the top of the clouds over the mountains is fantastic ,as are the others that one just stood out for me . I remember riding the Trace and my wife was flipping out over a deer running beside us ,:gah:,,doggone what would she do with a buffalo .:Shrug:

Yeah, we had a few friends PM us and say we were getting to comfortable being near the wildlife. lol Sometimes there's no choice, other times...like with the bears...maybe so.

We have seen a lot, but fortunately none of them ran in front of us.

Still love your pictures and narration. :) :) Nice color your trike has. :)

Thank you!

I haven't been in Nanimo in 22 years, When we got off the ferry we headed across the island and wound up in a fishing village called Tofino. Spent a couple days camping on the beach and smashing fresh seafood in our faces.
We took a whale watching tour and i still remember that i started seeing some tails from way out and thought that was about it.
The boat guide got us right into the middle of three blue whales. they dive and resurface about every five minutes. When they come to the surface and blow three or four times he would whip in beside of that huge monster so you could almost reach out and touch it.

When it would dive again he would whip the boat out away from it and that huge tail would be towering above us.
My God i will never get a rush like that again?

That is crazy!

Sounds like you had a great trip!

We had a nice relaxing evening in Red Lodge. Did not have to do any grocery shopping...still had food in the cooler.

Unloaded the bike and got in the hot tub!

We have stayed at this same place 3 times now. Reasonably priced, indoor pool, outdoor hot tub.

BDBT1_zps2575c32e.jpg

The next morning we packed up and headed downtown to check out the Beartooth Rally HQ at Bone Daddys.

BDBT7_zps218138a2.jpg

Bone Daddys! We had to stop here, rally or no rally, had promised some friends we'd pick up some Bone Daddy helmet stickers for them.

BDBT2_zps3c5d5521.jpg

Lots of bikes! Hundreds of them parked, and hundreds more out on the Poker Run. Later in the day they are going to make the run across Beartooth Pass...the one we just traveled yesterday.

BDBT9_zpsae7492e9.jpg

We found a spot pretty close to all the vendors.

BDBT2-1_zps82b26427.jpg

Checking out all the bikes and the vendors. lol, my drawers are drooping.

BDBT6_zpsa716da51.jpg

Nice turn-out on a very nice riding day.

BDBT3_zps4e3be68d.jpg

Interesting bike...

BDBT4_zps75c13595.jpg

that was being raffled off. Lots of nice details, all tied into the "Shoot & Scoot" theme.

BDBT5_zps1d3bea73.jpg

After looking around a bit, getting some local buffalo jerky, we are on our way to Spearfish...the long way.

BDBT8_zpsd0333af7.jpg

One of the reasons there are big gaps between posts is that it takes me about 3-4 hours to do a post of one days riding. It is hard to get that kind of a chunk of time for me.

So, instead, I am going to do smaller posts, hopefully more frequently, to get the last few days of the trip posted up.

We decided to take the 310 to 14 Alt E...going past the Medicine Wheel. It is by no means the shortest route from Red Lodge to Spearfish, but we went that way once before and really enjoyed it.

This is looking down at the city of Red Lodge, MT as we left out.

SF1_zps5fac268c.jpg

What a Great way to start the day! Have I mentioned that I like curves? lol

SF2_zps7d2cc453.jpg

Whatever they used to do there...does not look like they're doing it anymore.

SF3_zpsc3a4f7cc.jpg

Picking up the 310 for some fairly straight, flat riding before getting to the mountains.

SF4_zpsfeef7d57.jpg

Yep, we have a ways to go to get to Big Horn National Park!

SF5_zps77f5c61a.jpg

This is an interesting pic...you can see Mary with the camera above my head in the gas cover reflection.

Oh, and sometimes all the TG needs is one finger to keep her going down the road. :)

SF6_zpsee8af169.jpg

Many flat, barren miles later...we are getting close!

SF7_zpse8f0125c.jpg

Finally we start climbing...

SF8_zps498194ec.jpg

Lots of curves, and many switchback (we have not figured out how to get good pics of switchbacks while riding...bout the only way we have been able to do it is to stop and do a panoramic)....

SF9_zps7e42c48f.jpg

There was a perfect combination of climbing, sweepers, twistys, switchbacks and NO traffic.

Of the entire trip, this was the hardest I ran the TG...pretty steep incline for quite awhile and speeds up to 80+ mph, and it was probably 80* or so ambient temp. Oil temps got up in the 235-240 range for a bit.

SF10_zpscee2b28a.jpg

Will continue on to Spearfish as time permits.

Pulled over at a scenic look out...we see some of the long flat land we traveled this morning to get to these mountains....and a bit of the road coming up the hill.

SF11_zps30a97a94.jpg

Looking up to where we're headed...a couple of bikes are making their way up.

SF12_zps9e4719b4.jpg

Back on the road, it's not going to be long before we pass the spur to Bighorn Medicine Wheel. It's really quite an amazing place. You can see more about at this link- Bighorn Medicine Wheel

SF13_zps02c3db5f.jpg

We're up around 9,000 foot elevation now. Less than an hour ago we were at about 3500 feet. It's quite a bit cooler up here, even little patches of snow here and there still.

SF14_zps02e9f533.jpg

There is a nice scenic stop at the top...a bit off the road is a small rock formation. We take our cooler out there and have a nice lunch.

SF15-1_zps8771134c.jpg

A panoramic looking back at where the bike is parked (that little blue speck) and beyond.

SF15_zps5e1478c0.jpg

Another panoramic shot, looking the other direction. We have the place to ourselves for almost an hour. It is quiet out here, just amazing taking it all in.

SF17_zps9b453550.jpg

Back on the road, crossing the top.

SF18_zpsc08a59d5.jpg

As we start to head down the other side, there are miles and miles of great sweepers....

SF19_zps6b60b1b1.jpg

We thoroughly enjoy them before hitting the tight, steep, relentless winding road going into Dayton.

SF20_zps67778208.jpg

Yes, most enjoyable, thanks for taking the time and effort for us folks at home. If I may, what camera are you using? Clarity and definition is great.

Yeaa, make us all jealous. I thought for a moment that bottle in the cup holder was dish detergent! (Not really).
The pics are awesome and you've put us right there in the trip with you. great stuff.
cooltech:cool:

Ok, FINALLY am able to resume the Ride Report from Meridian to Missoula.

This was a great day of riding!

Missoula16_zps956e68b7.jpg

Mostly curves all day, but every now and then some straights to just kick back on.

Missoula17_zpsba53a94e.jpg

Huge variety in scenery and temps too.

Missoula18_zps63a1652e.jpg

This was a pretty warm section...and we are close enough to a fire that is burning northwest of us that we can see lots of smoke and smell it.

Missoula19_zpse6645374.jpg

I forget the name of this town, we have been thru it before when it was packed with folks fishing the Salmon river.

Gas stop and calling the shop to take care of business.

Missoula20_zps621b6541.jpg

Back on the road, more smoke and heat. After today we are trading our leather for the mesh.

Missoula21_zps335c5926.jpg

Idaho has some amazing roads and countryside.

Missoula22_zpsed318a3c.jpg

Mary in the mirror!

Missoula23_zpsa7a29cba.jpg

That is a lot of road til we hit the forest again! Sure am happy we picked up the "Stay Cool" bandanas in Meridian.

Missoula24_zps02fe4dcc.jpg

Turning onto the 13...it is a short section of road, but pretty dramatic and fun to ride.

Missoula25_zpsa3e68578.jpg

More in next post.
could that small town be Challis,Idaho?

It looks like the type of country where Challis is.

really enjoy reading & seeing all the pics.....you guys are doing an awesome job for all us .....would love to make a trip like this someday....trading my 2010 ultra glide for an 2013 goldwing trike so maybe i'll try this kind of adventure soon.....thanks again for sharing your trip with us here at home....

Once again....gorgeous pictures! Thanks for taking us all along with you this way. :)

:)

Yes, most enjoyable, thanks for taking the time and effort for us folks at home. If I may, what camera are you using? Clarity and definition is great.

Thank you.

It is an inexpensive ($100) Fuji JX500

All that I can say is that is one Fantastic Trip!!

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Thank you!

Yeaa, make us all jealous. I thought for a moment that bottle in the cup holder was dish detergent! (Not really).
The pics are awesome and you've put us right there in the trip with you. great stuff.
cooltech:cool:

Nope just drinking water with some hydrogen sticks in it. I normally drink 3-5 bottles a day when on the road.

Glad you're enjoying it!

could that small town be Challis,Idaho?

It looks like the type of country where Challis is.

Could be. Not really sure.

really enjoy reading & seeing all the pics.....you guys are doing an awesome job for all us .....would love to make a trip like this someday....trading my 2010 ultra glide for an 2013 goldwing trike so maybe i'll try this kind of adventure soon.....thanks again for sharing your trip with us here at home....

Thank you! Large sections of this trip were definitely more enjoyable for us being on a trike instead of 2 wheels.

Sorry for the big gap in-between posts. We were out of town the last 4 days.

Still coming down the hill, we run up on another Pearl Blue Tri-Glide. Followed him for awhile, until he pulled into a parking lot.

SF21_zps9530f34e.jpg

Some absolutely beautiful country!

SF22_zps05b19fdc.jpg

SF23_zps53aa0c5d.jpg

I think this sign said Sharp Curves Next 10 Miles. (they were also pretty steep)

SF24_zpsee51db5b.jpg

Almost right away I got stuck behind a pretty big line of traffic that had slowed down and were jammed up, inching their way downhill...AND another line inching their way uphill.

SF25_zpse83cb9f6.jpg

It took a few minutes to get past them all...but then I had the entire ride down to myself! :)

SF26_zpscde96bed.jpg

Looking thru the pictures, I realize that on the really sharp curves Mary must have been holding on, because there's no pics of them. lol

But she did capture some of the longer ones.

SF27_zpse28e4cb3.jpg

Might be difficult to tell from this pic, but it is a decreasing radius 180*+ that just keeps going...lots of fun!!!

SF28_zps017ed69e.jpg

Another curve, you can see they are not cambered well at all...making them even more challenging.

SF29_zps25ccb973.jpg

This was a sharp 90* (not pictured) followed by a sweeping, decreasing radius 120* curve. :)

SF30_zpse2ce70fe.jpg

After that roller coaster ride we stopped for gas in Dayton. Met a German couple, him on an Ultra, her on a Heritage they had rented for their vacation. Talked for awhile, did not get any pics.

Next up is our adventure on the road to Spearfish!

Leaving out of Dayton, WY we still have about 220 miles to go to Spearfish.

SF31_zps4d22dd95.jpg

Lots of wide open land and big sky!

SF32_zps6e8fd5d6.jpg

Getting close to Gillette.

SF33_zps395033cb.jpg

Great road, relaxing riding, the TG is at home running this road 75-80 mph.

SF34_zpsb6d87c8c.jpg

The first hint of what is coming.

SF35_zpsd9baee2a.jpg

Mary in the mirror getting a pic of our shadow.

SF36_zpsdcaffe5e.jpg

At this time the rain & lighting looked to be north of us and moving further northwest....

SF37_zpsb5eba994.jpg

...but to be safe we pulled off in a rest stop to put on our rain suits. While we were pulling them out of the trunk a guy stopped on a SG. He said he had just come from Rapid City (near Spearfish) and that the storm had already crossed north of the road and we would be fine.

We talked with him a bit...he was headed toward Red Lodge for the Beartooth Rally that we had just left.

Taking his advice, we put the rain suits back in the trunk and headed on our way.

Well, a bit down the road we could see that the storm was directly in front of us and smell the rain. Stopped along the side of the road and put the rain suits on.

SF38_zps35dabc6e.jpg

Yep, looks like we are headed right into it!

CC1_zps90be4540.jpg

Just 2 minutes further we run into wet road.

SF39_zpse7b8b73a.jpg

More in next post.

Another minute or so down the road we see white stuff on the side of the road....

SF40_zps35a0f566.jpg

Then the white stuff is on the road. Not snow, but pebbles of hail.

SF41_zps11d98cd8.jpg

Probability is high that if we had not spent the 20 minutes or so at the rest stop we would have been right on this section of road when the hail started coming down.

There is NO shelter anywhere...that probably would have hurt! :)

The further we go the heavier it is on the road.

SF42_zps28673fad.jpg

The pictures don't show it, but where it looks like it is just water on the road, there is still a lot of hail mixed in. It is like riding on marbles. All the traffic slowed way down, including us.

This next picture shows how heavy the water is on the road...It is an inch or two deep...quite apart from the riding on marbles feeling, any kind of speed would result in hydro-planing.

SF43_zps08a235aa.jpg

After a few miles of this the roads were just wet off and on all the way to Spearfish. Mary got a lot of good cloud pics.

CC2_zps8a99f50a.jpg

btw, the storm is to the south of us now...go figure.

CC7_zpsb91f122d.jpg

CC3_zps601e4818.jpg

Closing in on Spearfish.

SF44_zps1726b706.jpg

More in next post.

We are looking forward to a couple of days in the Black Hills...almost there.

SF45_zpsaf638b18.jpg

A few more cloud pics as we roll into Spearfish.

CC4_zps87eb4eed.jpg

CC5_zps4b0fbf19.jpg

When we pull into the motel at Spearfish, sky is clear and the roads are dry.

We unload the bike, shed the rain suits and head to the grocery store.

We are going to be here a couple of days, so we are taking our time shopping so we don't have to come back before leaving. We're not done yet and we here some loud booms...yep, when we leave the store it is raining HARD! lol

No jackets, no helmets, we do our best to load the groceries without getting too much water in the trunk and ride the 2 miles back to the motel in a full-on downpour. :)

It rained off and on all night.

Here's a pic of the TG getting cleaned up a bit by the rain outside the room.

SF46_zpsf91abe54.jpg

Next up will be some riding around in the Spearfish/Sturgis/Deadwood area.

Nope just drinking water with some hydrogen sticks in it. I normally drink 3-5 bottles a day when on the road. [/QUOTE said:
Sorry to show my ignorance - but what are Hydrogen Sticks & what benefit are they? - Russ

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png