Road Zeppelin seat

Ok Gary, since you did it and I've been thinking about trying it, did the beads leave any permanent marks on the seat? I've been concerned that the beads might stretch the cover materal due to the heat and leave "stretch marks" :D.

No, it hasn't left any marks. When I got home the seat was dirty and showed where the beads were, but a quick rub down with a leather cleaner fixed that. I have mine so that I can take it off and on whenever I want-it's not mounted permanently or even semi permanently.

The only reason I bought the pad in the first place was I was going to attempt to do a Saddlesore 1000 on my way back from doing a Route 66 trip and I wanted as much help/comfort as I could get. I even bought heat reducing base layer underware and a cooling vest for desert riding. All worked perfectly.
I probably will never use these items again in my daily riding, but I have them just in case of another long distance ride. I do like the beaded pad though and may keep it on all the time. I notice that I don't wiggle as much as I use to and I'm much cooler.

In MHO it's much more convenient then the sheepskin cover. I'm not a fan of sheepskin covers and will never buy one, but lots of riders swear by them.

No, it hasn't left any marks. When I got home the seat was dirty and showed where the beads were, but a quick rub down with a leather cleaner fixed that. I have mine so that I can take it off and on whenever I want-it's not mounted permanently or even semi permanently.

The only reason I bought the pad in the first place was I was going to attempt to do a Saddlesore 1000 on my way back from doing a Route 66 trip and I wanted as much help/comfort as I could get. I even bought heat reducing base layer underware and a cooling vest for desert riding. All worked perfectly.
I probably will never use these items again in my daily riding, but I have them just in case of another long distance ride. I do like the beaded pad though and may keep it on all the time. I notice that I don't wiggle as much as I use to and I'm much cooler.

In MHO it's much more convenient then the sheepskin cover. I'm not a fan of sheepskin covers and will never buy one, but lots of riders swear by them.

Thanks Gary, I think I'll go ahead and give the beads a try, need just a little more cooling comfort in the heat.

It does make a difference. I bought mine in February - went for a ride and forgot about the pad. The "boys" sure noticed the cooling effect. :laugh: :laugh:

They have two types, wood beads (cheaper) and ceramic. I popped for the ceramic - will last a lot longer then the wood.

Good luck

Road Zeppelin Seat

It does make a difference. I bought mine in February - went for a ride and forgot about the pad. The "boys" sure noticed the cooling effect. :laugh: :laugh:

They have two types, wood beads (cheaper) and ceramic. I popped for the ceramic - will last a lot longer then the wood.

Good luck

I had an air blatter seat pad a couple of years back but feel disconnected from the trike. Did you experience anything like that with the beaded pad ?

I had an air blatter seat pad a couple of years back but feel disconnected from the trike. Did you experience anything like that with the beaded pad ?
Not at all. The only way I know I was sitting on a beaded pad was I didn't squirm as much as I did before and my sciatic didn't bother me as much either. I was very skeptical about the pad, but now after 4000 miles and a Saddlesore1000 under my belt(or should I say under my butt), I'm a true believer. ThumbUp :pepper:

I also had a gel and an air seat pad years ago and, yes, they did feel like I was sitting on something else. The beaded pad covers the WHOLE seat and is solid, maybe that's why it doesn't feel like you're disconnected because you don't "wiggle" like you do on air or water. Just a guess.

Road Zeppelin Seat

GaryD, Thanks for the information regarding the beaded seat. My wife and I did 15 hours and 911 miles Memorial Day coming home from Fargo. The Road Zeppelin Seat was nice but it sounds like the beaded seat would be a good investment.

Has anyone else ordered a Road Zep seat, to find out they are non-existent back order?
Harley is doing it to us again - we have been waiting for a month, and now the date they give us is July 31st.

I always have problems in July when i order. They tell me due to Sturgis. They hold back alot of their inventory.

RZ Fitment

The old 3 bladder(rider) (passenger had 2) did not fit my 2010 Limited - only the new 2 bladder from 2010 and newer.
I don't know for sure up to what year the old one fits.... maybe 2008?

I have a 2012 TriGlide. I took the RZ off my 2008 when I traded and it fit perfectly on my new 2012. It has two bladders for the rider, one for the passenger.

I have used the beaded seat in the past and found you could ride longer as the butt was cooler..Over time I did noticed the seat had bead dents on the seat..No that was awhile ago maybe the newer seat don't have that problem??

I've had my RZ seat (3 buttons left side rider pad) for 4+ years now. It's developed a leak on rider pad. Won't hold air for long. I know the pump is good. Don't know status of passenger pad. I'd like to get it repaired. I guess I'd have to take it to dealer and let them send it out for repair(?).
GaryD, I think you had that issue a couple years back. How'd that process work out for you?

That's the only way the OEM will accept your seat. You can't send it to them directly. I wasn't 100% happy, but what else can you do. I don't remember the exact amount, but lets say $40. They want that even before they know what has to be repaired. Then the charge you for the repair.
They wired the switches backwards on mine. I asked if they would credit me the $40 if I just accepted it as is and save them the money for sending it back and re-repairing it. They said "NOPE we don't do credits-take it or leave it". So I sent it back - it had to have cost them more then the $40.
Oh well "Stupid is what stupid does"

It's been working fine since. ThumbUp

The dealer can give you the cost list if you want to know what it will cost.

Good luck.

Just took my seat into the dealer. The warranty person was clueless what to do with it since they never had this before. After researching service bulletins, she found the place (Milsco) in Milwaukee that gave her instructions. I paid for shipping ($16) and Milsco is supposed to call me directly with repair details. It's worth it to me even if the repair is a little over a hundred bucks. Only problem, I can't ride for a few weeks. I guess it pays to save your OEM stuff. Maybe I'll be researching Ebay for a cheap stock seat!

Don't worry - it will be over $100 before you're done, but what else ya gonna do? I'm surprised they didn't charge you the ($40 ?) diagnosis fee before sending it in. They did to me.

I save all my OEM stuff - mufflers, seat, lights, covers. You never know. :)

My Zeppelin thigh zone developed a leak at about 14 months old.
Cost of repair and shipping was $258. Not happy!
Have about 6,500 miles on repair, but still fret over the possibility of it failing again 1,500+ miles from home.
Brought an Airhawk R with me on my last trip in case of another failure.
Vinyl seats are hot. Might try the beads.

I bought the beaded seat pad specifically for my SS1000 ride last month. I was always skeptical about them, but now I'm a firm believer in them. ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

Almost completely eliminated my sciatica pain....not all but most.....that alone is worth the price, plus it keeps the "boys" cool and doesn't smell and look ratty after it rains.

My Zeppelin thigh zone developed a leak at about 14 months old.
Cost of repair and shipping was $258. Not happy!
Have about 6,500 miles on repair, but still fret over the possibility of it failing again 1,500+ miles from home.

Just got call from Milsco on my RZ seat. It will be over $200 + shipping for bladders and switch. Hope this lasts. Just bought a cheap eBay stock seat that will keep me riding 'til it returns. Will keep cheap seat just in case. :Shrug:

I bought the beaded seat pad specifically for my SS1000 ride last month. I was always skeptical about them, but now I'm a firm believer in them. ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

Almost completely eliminated my sciatica pain....not all but most.....that alone is worth the price, plus it keeps the "boys" cool and doesn't smell and look ratty after it rains.

Mostly looking for the extra ventilation.
Besides for sweat, had a couple mornings on recent trip where a wet seat soaked thru my pants. Took forever to dry.
1,000 mile days are long gone here. Where did you ride?

- - - Updated - - -

Just got call from Milsco on my RZ seat. It will be over $200 + shipping for bladders and switch. Hope this lasts. Just bought a cheap eBay stock seat that will keep me riding 'til it returns. Will keep cheap seat just in case. :Shrug:

Mine had bladders and switches replaced also.
$258 with shipping.

Mostly looking for the extra ventilation.
Besides for sweat, had a couple mornings on recent trip where a wet seat soaked thru my pants. Took forever to dry.
1,000 mile days are long gone here. Where did you ride?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine had bladders and switches replaced also.
$258 with shipping.

I did a Saddlesore 1000 from Denver to Chicago. Just to see if I could do it - - at 71. ThumbUp

So I read all the post and not sure.....will part # 51072-09 fit on a 14 Tri? Looks like there is a new part # 52000201.
Also, on the 51072-09 model do you find it to put you in the same position as stock?

Back