Shock settings

For those of you with a MotorTrike conversion,(or other) where do you set your Progressive gas shocks for the best overall ride/handling? I ride 80% of the time 2 up and have mine in the 2nd notch from the bottom with about 25 - 28 psi in the air bags. Seems OK to me but I was told that the shocks should be set on the 3rd or 4th notch for best ride and handling with 2 up riding and leave the air bags at 20 -22 PSI, And that where I have them set puts too much load on the air bags.
Not sure if I buy this idea or not?!?

I would like some input from you guys as to your thoughts and where you set yours.:confused:

Opinions very much appreciated,

Thanks

For those of you with a MotorTrike conversion,(or other) where do you set your Progressive gas shocks for the best overall ride/handling? I ride 80% of the time 2 up and have mine in the 2nd notch from the bottom with about 25 - 28 psi in the air bags. Seems OK to me but I was told that the shocks should be set on the 3rd or 4th notch for best ride and handling with 2 up riding and leave the air bags at 20 -22 PSI, And that where I have them set puts too much load on the air bags.
Not sure if I buy this idea or not?!?

I would like some input from you guys as to your thoughts and where you set yours.:confused:

Opinions very much appreciated,

Thanks

Hummm....OK let me ask another way. What setting would you set the shocks at weather it is on a Goldwing or Harley, MotorTrike or other conversion. I have a basic understanding of shocks and preload but not sure how it relates to a Trike. Progressive builds the shocks for MT to MT's specs with a lot of travel (14.5"OAL) and a pretty high gas load. My thoughts are for a smoother ride to allow as much of this travel without adding too much preload. Too much preload can cause a pretty bumpy and harsh ride, where as too little can make it too springy, and mushy. therefore, the first or second notch should be ideal. How too little preload can affect the air bags/shocks, does not make sense to me. Their job should be to simply dampen the harshness of a downward motion of frame to axel.
I am trying to put some old knowledge from my long gone Motorcross days in this equation but not sure how it equates to a Trike.

How bout a little help guys....give me some food for thought.:AllGood:

Thanks

I don't know beans about shock designs Dan but found the middle position on my '06 with '11 MT Adventure conversion gave me best all around handling and comfort. When I needed increased suspension turning up the preload a bit took care of it.:xszpv::xszpv:

I don't know beans about shock designs Dan but found the middle position on my '06 with '11 MT Adventure conversion gave me best all around handling and comfort. When I needed increased suspension turning up the preload a bit took care of it.:xszpv::xszpv:

Thanks for the reply Jerry.

On my light weight Valkyrie, I keep the preload springs on the 2d level. Rides perfect single, with 15 psi in the bags. When I ride two up, I just increase the bag pressure, usually to about 25 psi.

On my light weight Valkyrie, I keep the preload springs on the 2d level. Rides perfect single, with 15 psi in the bags. When I ride two up, I just increase the bag pressure, usually to about 25 psi.
Thanks for the info!! I'm feeling better all the time!!!

Do you get any body roll in sharp turns and twisties with 15- 20 PSI?

Dan, no roll at all... that I notice. I ride sedately when 2 up, but can get pretty aggressive when by myself. My GW1800 with IRS has much more roll, took me a few days to get used to it.

My MT setup is pretty simple.
I keep the shocks set on the 4th clip from the top. Or 2nd from the bottom.
30 psi with a full tank.
Lower it to 25 psi at half a tank.
Rear tires are set at 24 lbs.
Roads down here are very good.
You have to go way out of your way to find a crappy bumpy road.
The worst road I can find is right here in my complex. 35 years old and been patched all over the place. Its never been redone since day one.:mad: It needs to be badly. But Ive been told its like a millon bux a mile to repave a 2 lane road.:xzqxz:

My MT setup is pretty simple.
I keep the shocks set on the 4th clip from the top. Or 2nd from the bottom.
30 psi with a full tank.
Lower it to 25 psi at half a tank.
Rear tires are set at 24 lbs.
Roads down here are very good.
You have to go way out of your way to find a crappy bumpy road.
The worst road I can find is right here in my complex. 35 years old and been patched all over the place. Its never been redone since day one.:mad: It needs to be badly. But Ive been told its like a millon bux a mile to repave a 2 lane road.:xzqxz:

Thanks for the reply JaysGone, Seems my setup is pretty close to what you guy's are doing. I was pleased until I was informed that it was wrong. The Guy that informed me I was wrong in my setup is a Trike rider and Motorcycle Mechanic who claims to have had several MotorTrike conversions so I listened to what he was saying but did not change my setup because it works for me. I was real interested to get input from the Guy's here on TT before I changed anything. It seems if My setup is wrong, then so is yours and we'll just be Happy being wrong!!;);)
I could see no reasoning behind his statement about too much stress on the Air Bags!?!? Hey I'm not running off road here!!!!:Dorag:

Thanks again for your input!

Back