Side shifter issues

Nov 6, 2013
Buckeye, AZ, USA
Hello all,

I've got a 1975 Stires trike that I just went through and got back on the road about 1300 miles ago. At this point I'm working out the bugs and its one of those I'm writing about. The trike is using a side mounted Empi shifter with a good reverse lockout. However, 2nd gear shifts are posing a problem, especially the 3-2 drop. Even with the reverse lockout, if I don't get it just right, I miss 2nd and the trike wants to go into reverse.

I've gone through the linkage and removed all the external slop and while the shifting has improved dramatically there are still times when I have problems with the 2nd gear shift. ( the 1-2 up is missed appx 5% of the time and the 3-2 drop about 25% of the time.) I reason because of the basic design of the tranny's internal shift mechanism the side mounted shifter may have some natural play - but am I right/wrong??

Does any one have any tech tips that may help with this issue? I'm especially open to tips that don't involve removal of the tranny.

Fonzo

I don't think you'll need to remove the tranny. It sounds like the shifter itself is out of adjustment. Not hard to fix on a stock shifter, but I've never adjusted an EMPI.

On my stock shifter, what seems to work best is to align the shift lever so it's straight up and down in the center of the shifter. I put the tranny in neutral, loosen the two bolts that hold that diamond shaped plate the lever sticks out of in place, and push the plate around until the lever is centered in the shifter. Tighten every thing down, sit on the bike, and with the clutch in, run the shifter through the gears and see if it feels any better. Next, take a test drive to be sure. I have a short throw kit on mine, and this method still works pretty well.

Another possibility with the side shift set-up is that the angle of the shift rod going from the shifter to the tranny may be too acute. This could cause binding, and could throw your pattern off making you miss shift points.

Can you post pics of the shifter? That may be helpful in providing information pertanent to your specific issues.

Good luck!

Hi Fonzo,
How far off center is the side shifter? If it is in the 10"-12" range you most likely have an adpter kit installed as EMPI only made center mounted kits even with reverse lockout.If distance is shorter,it may be home made linkage.
The side shift kits were available from several companies JAMAR being one that I recall.Maybe their web sites would give instructions for adjusting their specific kits.
Its been a while sinced I messed with any VW kits but was involved in a few "back in the day".
Hope this might help.It does sound like a linkage adjustment problem.

Try this: Slightly loosen the two retainer bolts on the shifter plate (so that it still remains snug). Move the plate evenly (both ends) downward (or to the left if it were upright) about 1/8" and tighten the two bolts. Test it and if it improves but not quite perfect drop it another 1/8". Surely no more than two adjustments like this should improve (or eliminate) your problem. I doubt you will ever get it absolutely perfect because the somewhat sloppy shifting is the 'nature of the beast' with VW shift mechanisms.

Advice guaranteed or your money back!

Took me a little while to realize my pattern has a slight uplift going from 1st to 2nd ,,now it just comes natural either the nature of the beast or I've learned to cope with it . :Coffee:

They can be a bit wonky to get adjusted out. Mine is a bear to get right. But i have a lot of oddball homemade linkages.
The main thing is to keep adjusting one thing or direction at a time. Much trail and error to find that sweet spot.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lclay23
Back