Started problems

Good luck. I wish some of us others were close enough to come over and help you and it's too bad you have this problem on a new build. I don't think it will be that hard to trace the problem and fix it. Too bad the folks you got it from are such a!!-holes. Now that I think on that....I would never let them touch it again anyway. No telling what you may get back.

Just another custom-builder with an attitude. They have been watching too much American Chopper, or Biker Build-off on TV.

John, I'm glad to see you found it. I haven't figured out how to post my album yet. As soon as I have time and can figure it out, I have several pictures of my trike.

Well, the guys at the shop that built my trike called me tonight and said that they were going to ship me the parts that I need to fix the problem. When I get the parts and get them put in, I'll let you all know if it worked or not.

Judging from the picture, I think what we apparently have here is a built-up machine from aftermarket parts. NOTHING wrong with that at all, but we really don't know what starter, or guts iowaguy has. From the description of the motor, it likely has a large aftermarket starter on it and it may very well be that a weaker plunger return spring is what is needed and may be common practice in the custom bike world. I think we have been giving standard answers and suggestions based on our thoughts this was a box-stock HD machine....which it isn't.

I'm like John.....tell us what they send you.

The parts arrived today. A week and a half later than promised, but I now have the parts. They sent me a shorter starter spring and shorter starter bolt. I installed the parts today and she started right up. Also included for my trouble were 2 t-shirts, one for me and one for my son.

I think most of us were of the opinion you had a stock Harley and that is where our remarks and suggestions were directed. That has to be an aftermarket starter on your bike....which is just fine.

Apparently, it has a feature which allows for different strength plunger return springs. Possibly to prevent the contacts from sticking due to the high current needed to turn that large starter motor. I would still consider getting one of those covers with the push-button on it just as insurance.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png