Stock back plate for drilling hole

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Aug 27, 2016
Des Moines IA US
I picked up a back plate for my M8 free I was very lucky, I need some pics of where you put the hole with hose coming out so I can see the best place to drill for a external breather if you have any or could take one and post. Been looking to see where the best place is so to hide it so it is not to noticeable, kinda hard so I thought I would ask here to see if anybody has done this with stock back plate, I know the video I watched somebody at DK's shop installing one and I believe it was Posserider's trike or at least it look like it.

From what I gathered from the 2017 thru 2020 are the same back plate.

All for now Trampas

It was done on my 20 Tri Glide, Hope this helps. The photo is flipped upside down. Part of the casing is behind the valve assembly, so you have to drill closer to the front. I drilled a pilot hole and used a step drill to get a smooth hole. As you can see there is not much room.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10174A...413610&sprefix=step+drill,aps,639&sr=8-3&th=1

View attachment 114372

Thanks for the pic, was looking at the front of air box myself and then run it down to underneath the floor board, just curious what size hose is that?? I have a 7/32 hose which fits the breather bolt really good.

All for now Trampas

P.S. Come on guys, post some pics to give me some ideas like nucseal did and thanks again

Thanks for the pic, was looking at the front of air box myself and then run it down to underneath the floor board, just curious what size hose is that?? I have a 7/32 hose which fits the breather bolt really good.

All for now Trampas

P.S. Come on guys, post some pics to give me some ideas like nucseal did and thanks again

Sorry for the late response! Not sure since I received the kit from DK and the hose was with the kit. Measuring the tube looks like 5/16 outside and 3/16 inside, that just eyeballing with ruler. May want to DK and ask the size of their hose.

Sorry for the late response! Not sure since I received the kit from DK and the hose was with the kit. Measuring the tube looks like 5/16 outside and 3/16 inside, that just eyeballing with ruler. May want to DK and ask the size of their hose.

Thanks for info, I think my 7/32 hose will work, it fits the breather tube nipple pretty tight, I plan on using some extra breather tubes I picked up along with the extra freebie back plate and then drill somewhere and run the hose down. If you look at my other thread about BBQ you will see some pics of Dan SC how he did his and it is on the lines of what I want to do, just have to pick up some straight barb fittings and 1 t barb fitting,

I might just do the hillbilly method with a pill container inside the air box for a little to see if I need a external breather, have pulled my cover 2 times and throttle body is pretty clean, everybody says do it which I more than likely will, LOL, I have bottle ready and at least try it.

Again thanks for the reply

All for now Trampas

When I bought my 2019 Electra Glide Standard, I had no intention of running external breathers.

I have always kept the oil on the lower half of the dipstick (I have never been one to constantly worry about oil level, in my opinion if it shows up on the marked area on the stick you have enough).

But during an unplanned teardown at 15,000 miles I saw that the tops of both pistons were encrusted in carbon, so much in fact that I could not see the arrow that shows which way is front on the piston.

I scraped the crud off with a plastic scraper.

I routed the breather hose out of the air cleaner and routed it overboard.

The way the OEM breather hoses are configured in the air cleaner, I think the engine actually sucks some of the oil into the throttle body.

Since rerouting the breather I have not seen so much as a drop on the end of the breather hose.

When the warranty runs out on my `22 Tri Glide, I will reroute its breather also.

14 Heads and Cylinders.jpg Plastic Scraper.jpgIMG_1834.JPEGFLHT Breather.jpg

When I bought my 2019 Electra Glide Standard, I had no intention of running external breathers.

I have always kept the oil on the lower half of the dipstick (I have never been one to constantly worry about oil level, in my opinion if it shows up on the marked area on the stick you have enough).

But during an unplanned teardown at 15,000 miles I saw that the tops of both pistons were encrusted in carbon, so much in fact that I could not see the arrow that shows which way is front on the piston.

I scraped the crud off with a plastic scraper.

I routed the breather hose out of the air cleaner and routed it overboard.

The way the OEM breather hoses are configured in the air cleaner, I think the engine actually sucks some of the oil into the throttle body.

Since rerouting the breather I have not seen so much as a drop on the end of the breather hose.

When the warranty runs out on my `22 Tri Glide, I will reroute its breather also.

View attachment 114471 View attachment 114473View attachment 114472View attachment 114474

The OEM breather hoses go in the back of the air filter where they are subject to a vacuum

This is why that crap gets sucked into the intake

I have externally vented my bikes since the early evo days, keeping that crap out of the intake and combustion chambers, big plus in helping the engine to run and breath better

You could go ahead and vent your M8 now, if you have to take it in for any warranty work just undo the breather and put it back to stock in about 15 minutes, I have not put mine back to stock on my 22 M8 and it has been in the shop a few times with no problems from my dealer

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tw0fast4u

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tw0fast4u
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png