Want to meet at The Tail of the Dragon?

Re: Feel like meeting at the Tail of the Dragon?

We're in! The Chief will be on two wheels and I'll be on three.

So far, it sounds like the weekend of May 15 - 17 is the date we are planning on. It will be here before we know it :D. WOO-HOO!!!!

Mattel has suggested a couple of things:
  • meet up in Asheville Friday afternoon/evening
  • morning tour of the Biltmore mansion after group breakfast
  • head to the Tail of the Dragon
  • spend the night in that area or go on to Maggie Valley or another destination

Does anyone else have ideas or recommendations? If not, maybe between us Mattel and I can see about group discounts on motel rates and also the rate of the Biltmore tour.

It would help to have a pretty good idea of # of participants. So far:
Mattel/wife
Nana/Mike (second bike)
Juju/Earl (second bike)
Patches + friend
ThirdWheel
Adventurer
BigDog
TrikerJim/Diane
Bazooka
Bdn56/Bride + 2 friends

Anyone else? Any more spouses or friends along?

Just for consideration, here are a couple of links for neat places that particularly cater to motorcyclists near that area:

Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway
Cherohala Motorcycle Resort and Motorcycle Campground, Tellico Plains TN

Sorry that I'll miss this ride but we will be there the week before. My anniversary is the 16th soooooo... if it weren't for that I would ride up there for the day.

Just a note... the Iron Horse is a really great place but it won't take reservations for less than two nights. They are also a tiny bit expensive but very worth it. The main cabin on top of the hill is huge and will sleep six (if i remember correctly) and has a main den with a fireplace.

There is also the Phillips Inn in Robinsville.. Less expensive but right on the main road to the Lizard but enough off the beaten path to be private. There is a really nice diner right next door too for breakfast and dinner. There is an older lady that runs the place and if she comes outside and says that "she" is going to sleep now.. she really means be quiet. LOL There are nice patio tables and plenty of chairs to relax after dinner and laugh.
Phillips Motel, Robbinsville, NC 828-479-3370

If you want to stay in Maggy Valley try the Abby Inn.. reasonable rates. (49 a night) and if you book now they will give you 10% off. This is where a bunch of us are staying. Maggie Valley Lodging, Maggie Valley Motel North Carolina or Smoky Mountains Motorcycle Lodging, Maggie Valley Motel - Lodging in North Carolina they are the same place. Call and speak with Natalie Nelson.

Oh reksul! I saw you had added and thought you had changed your mind and were coming along! You've broken my heart or something now! But I like your ideas and suggestions. Mike & some buddies are going to stay at Iron Horse (the big cabin sleep 8) and are splitting the cost of that cabin, which makes it reasonable...... then he's coming back down with me for the TrikeTalk run! What a guy to play on his motorcycle. Such a sacrifice.

Sorry Nana.. I fear that if I ride up there on my anniversary and back then something else may "get" broken on my return. :cool: Of course she may just come wif me ya knowz. Let's see what old man time has to say.

C and I may ride up to the Biltmore House on the 4th since it is only bout 30 miles to the east from the abby inn. The Lizard is bout 50 miles to the west of the inn.

The plans so far sound great, and I can hardly wait. Nana and Mattel seem to have taken point on this, but I'm glad to help in any way I can. We've been to Maggie Valley but have always stayed with friends, so I have no recommendations for lodging or restaurants. Reksul's ideas sound great.

So is this shaping up to be a mini Trike Talk Reunion?

Sorry Nana.. I fear that if I ride up there on my anniversary and back then something else may "get" broken on my return. :cool: Of course she may just come wif me ya knowz. Let's see what old man time has to say.

C and I may ride up to the Biltmore House on the 4th since it is only bout 30 miles to the east from the abby inn. The Lizard is bout 50 miles to the west of the inn.

Reksul, we'd all love to have you guys join us for part or all of the weekend!!! But, I've got to tell you... a special anniversary weekend qualifies as an excuse to stay away ;). Congratulations on all these years together!!!

Reksul, are you letting a little thing like marriage interfere with a bike ride? What is this world coming to?

Who? Me?? ;)

She's my life partner first, my riding buddy second.... sooooo.. yep! :D:D

Seriously.. we chatted about it during diner and C said the same thing I said earlier.. We will need to wait until the time is closer and since everyone is coming from all over the country we may have to make an appearance but it would be a quick one.

Reksul I was just giving you some grief, I agree with the thoughts. I am going to make a brief show myself.

Reksul I was just giving you some grief, I agree with the thoughts. I am going to make a brief show myself.

Yep... I knew that... was playing it back to ya!

If there's a way to get up there to say hello to everyone I'll find a way but the anniversary thing will play a big role in making it up there or not.

We got some time to think about it and work out the details. C likes to ride and go places so who knows. Here's to wishing everything works out.

Good, I have some friends in Huntsville that try to ride with us when they can. He rides a Yamaha Royal something. Nice bike. I don't know if his wife is real excited about riding through the dragons tail?
She has heard all the bad stories and not the good ones.
I will work on her.

This will be my last ride for a while. I am scheduled for knee replacement at the end of May. I should be back riding in a couple weeks? I already know how to tie my crutches on. I did it for 3 months with my voyager kit.

She's not the only one that has the pre-jitters of the Lizard.

(Hints to make things easier)

There are Troopers staged on and outside the Lizard. For the most part they leave the Harley's alone as long as you are within a reasonable speed. If you see a biker coming at you tapping his helmet with his fist.. this means there is a Trooper just ahead. Your response is to put your fist to your heart as a thank you. This goes both ways.

The speed limit is 30 from start to finish.

There is a double yellow line that you shouldn't cross. Go the speed limit and slower your first time.

If there are other riders behind you wanting to pass simply find a part of the road that is fairly straight and hug the right white line then point your left hand to the ground... they will pass.

There are several places that you can pull off and rest or watch the other riders if you want. The photographers will be at some of those spots taking HD shots of everyone but if it is your first time.. don't look at them, pay attention to the road. There is a reason why they position themselves at that spot.:eek:

Your Lizard running gear will be mostly 2nd gear. A few straight places you will shift into 3rd but right back into 2nd. There are one or two places with up or down hill 90* switchbacks. Use your back brake and tap with the front before the turn, downshift to 1st and ease out the clutch with some throttle...it will whip you right through the turn and you'll have a blast so before you go, practice that. It is no different than pulling onto a side street to go home. Once through the switchback you will change to second again. 2nd gear is fun because you can use the motor to decelerate instead of using so much brake. (caution, do not use your brake through a turn, use the motor and power through at a safe speed, you'll be fine)

You may see some chalk writing on the road. If a crazy crashes and leaves some oil it will be marked with a circle around it and the word OIL just before the spot. Slow down and simply drive around it but be aware of it. It happens.

On the north end there is a nice pull over with a view but if you keep going another mile or two there's a large natural area (some loose gravel) next to the river with a bathroom. Be brave and try that bathroom.. LOL

The Deals Gap Store is on the south end. Be sure to stop in and grab your Lizard tee shirt. You can stop and eat there if you want...

The Lizard is different riding it south to north than it is north to south. Try to experience both ways.

Yes, there's a reason why I call it the "Lizard"... the term "Dragon" although fun is hype. There are many more roads known only to the locals that are much harder.

So... recap... go slow or stay with the speed limit... watch for riders behind you that may want to pass (I've never been passed by anyone and I'm a slow rider)... use your motor to decelerate and stay in 2nd gear most of the time. One other thought would be to always be prepared when taking a turn to watch for oncoming bikers that may be too close to the yellow line so stay in the middle of your lane on a left turn or the inside of your lane on right hand turns.

Sorry.. got long winded :D

As it stands right now there may be another trike join me. Not absolutely sure, but the lady is ready to ride! That will be at least 1 more.

The Biltmore house on Saturday morning:

If everyone is up for the Biltmore house tour on Saturday morning, I would like to get an early start for breakfast so we can hit the first house tour. That way we can get on the road at a reasonable time for the ride to the Dragon err lizzzard.... I will check to see what time it opens, and we can meet for breakfast someplace close. I think there is a good waffle house within a block or so.

Good News... I am prety sure my wife Belinda will be coming with us. I just found her a great riding jacket.

I am almost set for Bike week so I got to get moving..

Mike and I are up for the Biltmore, and waffles are always good :D. Think you could negotiate any discount on the entry ticket price at the Biltmore, Mattel?

Have we chosen a "base" motel yet? This sounds like so much fun! I can hardly wait to meet everyone! Praying for good weather!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png