What GPS?

Zook, the lady at Garmin told me the updates would be $69 for the Zumo, so I guess they vary. She told me most people only update every 2-3 yrs.

Got the Zumo mounted, up and running. Looks like it's going to work really nice. I've got to run an extension cable for the MP3 so I can hear the GPS through my headset. Think I'm gonna plant a new crop of money trees next spring....

Got the Zumo mounted, up and running. Looks like it's going to work really nice. I've got to run an extension cable for the MP3 so I can hear the GPS through my headset. Think I'm gonna plant a new crop of money trees next spring....

Let me know how they do in your soil and weather. I may try to plant some here too---could use it :rolleyes:.

I looked at the zomu 550 but the best price I was able to find was about $450! I was able to snag a black Friday deal at best by for a Magellan 1212. With shipping and tax it ran me $93.00. I figure it is better than nothing and costs about as much as many map updates. I can use it on my bike and car, and it lists for $200+, best buy sells them for 199.

I am going to make a sun screen so I can see it better in the sun. I like it, but it does not have blue tooth, nor does it have a memory card. I plan to use it until the other more complex gps's come down a little in price, or I feel I can afford to drop that much on a good GPS. For a basic GPS I feel I cannot go wrong. I will let you guys know how it works out. I figure since I don't have a com system I will not miss the lack of blue tooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattel, How's that Magellan working? Diane got a 1412 at Walmart on Sat. after Thanksgiving. It's a great little unit. She gave me my Navigon back to use at work. The Magellan has the wide screen and she says that she can see it a lot better. I've only played around with it, but it sure is very user friendly...:) She loves it.

My Magellan is way different then all my Garmins ( I own 3 ) they both have good and bad points. I wish I could get more maps in to that old Magellan. It has a memory slot but I can't fig. out how to set up a Memory card. Someting about a # and reg it

Just bought myself a late Christmas presie of a Tom Tom 620T. so far it does all I want and more. I can even make calls from the bluetooth installed. I am like a kid again with a new toy or is it a boy thing?:p

Just bought myself a new toy:eek:, a Tom Tom Rider. I'll put up some pic's after installing it. Figured that I couldn't find my way from Sarasota to Daytona on Thursday.

Got the old Magellan Roadmate to accept the Sim card and downloaded 1/2 the USA. I still have 500 Meg left. Found out that if you call Magellan the unit is so old (4 years ) that they wave the unlock fee one time, so I bought a 2 gig card. Works good on the bike. Not as pleased with the GRAphics as I am with my Garmin in the car. Retired from my job so maybe will refit the Garmin nuvi 260 to the bike. I'm gona try the Magellan with the new updade first. Wish I could mount it in back , anyone ever do that?

I have the Garmin 2820. I like it OK but their are some surprises just like everything else. The 2820 has a built-in MP3 player. They didnot mention that it only holds about 50 songs! It also has Blue tooth technology! I have decide that I really don't want to talk on my cell phone doing 60 MPH on a TRike. Other than that it is a good unit. It's waterproof and easy to use.

I also have the Garmin and I love it. I need to ask you if you know of any type or brand of arm rests that will fit on my 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate Trike.

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 855 when it was on sale on Amazon for $99.99. I have been playing with it in the cage on the way to and from work. I like it alot. One nice thing in the cage that I don't think will work on the trike is the voice command. I push a button (installed on the steering wheel) and just tell the GPS what I want it to do. Then it does it. Slows down the refresh rate while the voice command is active, but that's ok. I already have the ram mount on the bike, but haven't wired it yet for power and sound. Hope to do that either Friday or Saturday. Been working too much lately to do anything trike related. As soon as the fiscal year is closed (tomorrow night at midnight) I will have a little time.

I've got a Garmin inland lakes version on my skiff (not sure of the model #) and a Garmin nuvi 1390 that we use in the car. I'm going to look for a mount that's not too ugly to put on my T-bars on the Deuce. I stuck it once to the windshield just to check the speedo, but wouldn't trust the suction mount for any distance - Harleys shake too much. Can't go wrong with Garmin.

If anyone else already has a GPS they would like to use on their bike or trike but isn't particularly fond of the cheezy plastic ones that are available, I found this . Polished aluminum, polished brass, and stainless screws. The way I would have built it. This one is for 1 1/4" bars but they make it for different sizes. I'm ordering one.

I have the Zumo 660 and love it. I also have a Magellon and I can honestly say that the Zumo 660 is much better. I did some research and found that one to be the best.

I had my Magellan Road Mate mounted on the inner faring but it was very difficult to see under bright sunshine. I just bought a mount that replaces the stock fuel door from Kuryakyn and it works 100% better as It sits a little lower and closer to me. ?I am really happy with this mount.

I have the Garmin Zumo 450. Did NOT want the temptation of riding and taking on the phone. Only difference between the 450 and the 550 is no bluetooth on the 450. That and it is a few hundred dollars cheaper. The 450 is discontinued, but its been a great GPS for me. I have a built in GPS in my cage, and the Garmin is more accurate.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png