Whats for supper?

Gotta report a loss here ... my old friend ... a homemade offset smoker finally burned through the fire box ... not sure I can fix it ... the whole bottom is gone ... not sure I can find a hunk pipe that size again .. so for now, no more smoking for me for awhile ... the good news ... the gravel I had the smoker on didn't burn when the coals feel trough the bottom ... :AGGHH: ... and the beer can chicken was done ... :D

I still haven't replaced my bbq or fixed it ... but I did a small pork roast in the oven ... came out really good.

As always, brined, and a little dry rub.

View attachment 36634
Fuzzy,
What recipe did you use for brine and how long did you leave it in brine? Does the brine take away that pigstye taste that often occurs in pork? Also, what did you use for dry rub?
Just wondering - It just seems that in recent years we have backed away from pork because of the pigstye taste - especially prevalent the day after cooking.
Thanks..Carla and Jim

ho you'll are so bad

Randy, here I am trying to drop a few lb's and you come up with a post like this. reading the word was bad enough but then PICTURES, haven't you no shame.
fried Stake, mashed tater, grave, veges out of the garden. no desert ( until Darlene goes to sleep then Ice cream )

Jr, I try to avoid this thread but it draws me back every day like a moth to a candle. I have managed to eat a little better lately but it sure is work!

Fuzzy,
What recipe did you use for brine and how long did you leave it in brine? Does the brine take away that pigstye taste that often occurs in pork? Also, what did you use for dry rub?
Just wondering - It just seems that in recent years we have backed away from pork because of the pigstye taste - especially prevalent the day after cooking.
Thanks..Carla and Jim

For my brine I do

1/2 cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp black pepper corns
1 gallon water

I actually use 1/2 gallon of water and the rest of the ingredients, bring them to a strong simmer for 5 minutes. Then I add ice to make up a gallon. When the brine is room temp, I put my meat in and let stand over night in the fridge. Prior to cooking or applying rub, I pat the meat dry.

For my rub I use equal Parts

Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Brown Sugar
If I am feeling frisky, I'll add Paprika and maybe Cumin.

I don't apply the rub too heavy. More like a sprinkle and then rub. I also like to make up my rub in advance and freeze it, I think it helps to "meld" the flavors.

As for the "pigstyle" taste, I'm not sure what that is, so I'm guessing the brining helps.

The main reason I brine is to keep the meat really moist. I'm not real sure on the chemistry here, but it does work.

Due to some medical issues, I have a hard time eating any meat that is tough or not real moist. Brining has become the norm for me.

Hope that helps

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmorri1
Back