Best Battery for a Harley Triglide?

tbear

Sep 23, 2013
Carleton, Michigan
I'm sure this was brought up before but I can't find it.

WHAT'S THE BEST BATTERY FOR YOUR HARLEY TRIGLIDE? I HAVE A CAM IN MINE AND IT'S BEEN DYNOED BUT I THINK IT NEEDS
ALITTLE MORE HUMPH! TO TURN IT OVER. IT IS 4 YEARS OLD AND I THINK IT IS TIME TO CHANGE IT. ARE THE ORIGINAL BATTERIES
A DEKKA BATTERY OR YAUSA BATTERY? ANY OTHER EXCELLENT BATTERIES?:Coffee:ANY INFO. WOULD SURELY HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND.

You will find MANY opinions on this site re harley batteries - I purchased

a battery from Battery Mart on line last year at a great price + they pay shipping.

My 2010 Harley trike is slightly modified (Stage 2, cams, etc) and I am VERY SATISFIED with this battery. AND its half the price of H.D.s

I recommend it!

:)

You will find MANY opinions on this site re harley batteries - I purchased

a battery from Battery Mart on line last year at a great price + they pay shipping.

My 2010 Harley trike is slightly modified (Stage 2, cams, etc) and I am VERY SATISFIED with this battery. AND its half the price of H.D.s

I recommend it!

:)

could you tell me the Name of the Battery and possibly the Number on it??

I've always gotten the best service from HD batteries. Over the years I've tried many other makes, but the HD batteries are what I stick with now. A cam and a dyno shouldn't inhibit your bikes ability to turn over. If you changed pistons and have high comp in there, then maybe. You need to build some cubic inches, increase compression, and basically build a race bike before you need a stronger battery to turn it over. Nothing wrong with a battery with more cold cranking, but you really shouldn't NEED it. A hotter spark may be more beneficial if all you did was change cams and it's cheaper than a battery.

could you tell me the Name of the Battery and possibly the Number on it??

This is the battery I believe he has http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html?Category_Code=big-crank-batteries
I'm running the same battery in my 06 Ultra Classic, this battery and the stock starter has been cranking the 120" 10.5:1 compression engine for 2 seasons now, this will be its 3rd season. I bought the same battery to replace the original battery in my dads 09 Triglide.

The Harley battery is a great battery and it is made by Deka who also makes the Big Crank battery, the down side to the Harley battery is they are awfully proud of their battery and its reflected in the price.

Tis my understanding that the Deka battery is the same as the HD battery--- only without the bar and shield and about $75 less ---- I have used them with excellent results -- but -- Deka does not have the black case and cool factor --- just say'n

ThumbUp:)ThumbUpThumbUpMsocko3 you are correct and I sure have NO qualms with the HD
batteries just thought I would give that one a try since I have read
good reviews on them - so far it's been GOOD for me and easier on
me wallet (us retired folk sometimes need to cut a corner/2).
Pete ThumbUp

This is the battery I believe he has http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX30L-Battery.html?Category_Code=big-crank-batteries
I'm running the same battery in my 06 Ultra Classic, this battery and the stock starter has been cranking the 120" 10.5:1 compression engine for 2 seasons now, this will be its 3rd season. I bought the same battery to replace the original battery in my dads 09 Triglide.

The Harley battery is a great battery and it is made by Deka who also makes the Big Crank battery, the down side to the Harley battery is they are awfully proud of their battery and its reflected in the price.

DAMN that is an awesome price! Just ordered one for my 2009 TG. I still have the OEM in it, but it was starting to struggle last year. So a new one was in order anyway. Thanks for posting that MSOCKO3!

At daytona i see this guy selling battery tender batterys they weigh about 5 pounds, 480 cranking amps, 3 year free replacement, 7 year shelf life, there lithium or something like that IM going to buy one of the 480 cranking amps its $239. he has 300 cranking amp there $139. which is like most stock battery cranking amps ,i think the other one is a 380 cranking amp for $ 169. they can be mounted any direction upside down what ever ,used to buy the big boar batterys ,but they do not last like they used to to & a the big boar hd touring battery I paid about $350. I think there worth checking out ????

Being in the automotive parts and battery business. The Harley battery is made by Deka, which is East Penn. They make the OEM black case for Harley Davidson. Deka's aftermarket battery is a white cased battery (kind of light gray). It is evey bit as good as the OEM battey, but less the price. Since the battery is hidden on the TG's I wouldn't think the color of case would not be a big issue? Who would see it anyway?? just sayin!! Save some greenbacks and buy the Deka AGM battery from your local parts store. That's what I believe in and I'm sticking to it!!

(lol):D:pepper:

Msocko,
Thanks you all for the info. msocko, I found at my local Battery wholesale place, the Big Crank for $98 out the door (coupon helped). It will be put in next month when maybe we will get better weather up here in Michigan to atleast start the ole machines up and get ready for some summer ridin! Now, if they just fix all the pot holes that the winter and spring weather always leaves us !....:gah:

Msocko,
Thanks you all for the info. msocko, I found at my local Battery wholesale place, the Big Crank for $98 out the door (coupon helped). It will be put in next month when maybe we will get better weather up here in Michigan to atleast start the ole machines up and get ready for some summer ridin! Now, if they just fix all the pot holes that the winter and spring weather always leaves us !....:gah:

I hear you about the pot holes, we have some nasty ones around here, the roads have taken a beating.

better make sure your charging system is working correctly or it will kill a battery in a short time..even while idling.

For a number of years, I couldn't get more than 2 years out of a battery in my '94 bagger. About six years ago I finally decided before I bought one of the "gel" batteries from HD I would check all the auto part stores here locally before I spent the $120+. While I was at a Farm and Home style store, they said they could get the standard type but not a gel type. As I was walking away from the counter, the other guy that was standing there caught up to me and asked me if I tried Advance Auto. I said yes, just left the Advance next door. They told me they couldn't help me. He said he works at a different Advance and he knew he could order one if I wanted to stop at his store. I ended up going over to his store and bought the gel. It has been in the bagger for six years now and it cost me $63. When the time comes to replace the one in the trike, I am going to try to get the same type from Advance.

Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png