Everything Went To Heck

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
Boy, I had a bunch of bad luck all at once. I just got the Stallion out of the shop from having all the hoses replaced, cooling system flushed, the spark plugs replaced, an oil change and the rear differential cap gasket replaced. Saturday I took it out for a 150 mile breakfast ride and it started overheating.

Turned out to be the relays under the seat were getting hot. The center one, fan, was very hot. The temperature sensor, behind the right wheel, also stopped working. Everything got replaced and everything was working fine.

Today, I had it out and it just shut down while I was doing 70mph. Wouldn't crank and the odometer display was just a bunch of dashes. Had it towed back to the shop and this time it was the relay in the box under the hood that controls everything. It was very hot also. Fuel pump, computer, security key, etc.

That was 4 aftermarket relays that TBMS installed that all took a lunch within a couple of days. The OEM Ford relays are all doing fine and weren't hot. Hopefully this fixes everything as it's going on a 2300 mile trip next month and a lot of the traveling will be in the middle of nowhere California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. I am carrying spares.

Rick

Ran it 45 miles today and it didn't die or overheat. :clapping:

By the way, here's what my spark plugs looked like after 64000 miles. If you haven't already, you may want to replace yours.

Attachments

• Stallion Spark Plugs.jpg
    Stallion Spark Plugs.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 119
The disasters keep coming, and I'm leaving on a 2300 trip soon. Michelin Defender, 3 years old with 13000 miles on it. Stallion started shaking and this happened coming down from 70mph. I was at about 45mph when it went. I run the front tire with 40lbs in it. I just checked the tire pressure monitor that I have on the Stallion when it started shaking and it was at 40lbs. I just love taking the front wheel off. :mad: Rick

Attachments

• Tire Blowout.jpg
    Tire Blowout.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 57
The disasters keep coming, and I'm leaving on a 2300 trip soon. Michelin Defender, 3 years old with 13000 miles on it. Stallion started shaking and this happened coming down from 70mph. I was at about 45mph when it went. I run the front tire with 40lbs in it. I just checked the tire pressure monitor that I have on the Stallion when it started shaking and it was at 40lbs. I just love taking the front wheel off. :mad: Rick

Last time i saw that was on a trailer that was outside exposed to the sun ..

That sucks but glad your ok.

Good morning
I am having the same problems that rocket had i kept overheating, i replaced temp switch and relays. it worked went for ride and was going down freeway it quit got pulled over couldn't get it started, had to have it towed home. turned out to be fuel pump relay under hood. i am still having overheating problems. set the ground and the fan should work, it doesn't. i take the plug off fan hook 12v to it and it runs fine. i check the voltage at the plugin from relay 7v. after this long winded story does anyone know where the wire from relay to fan runs through body. i also found that i had 5 pin relays in it when i got it. well there is no plug in for the 5 pin in the center of relay no wire in harness for that pole. do all know this or am i a little slow in finding this out. 4 pin relays should be used. they are a lot cheaper too.
Dragon

I did find a thread on here about what went where. I do know that the some things share the same ground that's on the temp sensor. You may want to search these threads for more info. Did you check all the grounds? There may be a problem there. Good Luck! Rick

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png