Hot Rotors After New Pads

ctdair

150+ Posts
May 29, 2016
oberlin
New EBC pads front and rear on 2016 TriGlide. Flushed and bled. Front rotors are hot. Even riding and not using brakes, coast to stop front rotors too hot to keep hands on. Ideas?

New EBC pads front and rear on 2016 TriGlide. Flushed and bled. Front rotors are hot. Even riding and not using brakes, coast to stop front rotors too hot to keep hands on. Ideas?

Disk brakes generate a lot of heat. The pads are constantly, but slightly rubbing the rotors at all times. Nature of the beast so they will get hot… even while not doing a lot of breaking..

To rule out natural friction of pads against rotor as suggested above I rode my 2wheel Flh.

No braking coast to stop, rotors cool to the touch.

I would raise the front of the TG and spin the front tire to see if any drag on the rotation. This way you will know for sure if you have much “natural drag” just to see.

May need to re-bleed brakes.

I assume ABS? You can get the ABS to kick in “manually” (vs taking it to a dealer) to help bleed the ABS system.

But see how much you can turn that front tire off the ground to see first.

The pads run with very little clearance, all hardware MUST be clean ( new is preferred)

and lubed ( I use )

12027858_ptx_24110_pri_larg.jpg

Not ABS. Disassemble this morning doesn’t appear to be sticking pistons , they all pushed in fine. Pads are free on pin. Rotors seem ok. Pads look trashed already. Called EBC , luckily they are going to send replacements. They also suggested the V pads. They indicated they will send V and HH replacements. When the pads arrive I will triple check everything and report back.

Not ABS. Disassemble this morning doesn’t appear to be sticking pistons , they all pushed in fine. Pads are free on pin. Rotors seem ok. Pads look trashed already. Called EBC , luckily they are going to send replacements. They also suggested the V pads. They indicated they will send V and HH replacements. When the pads arrive I will triple check everything and report back.

You will be good to go;)

Replacement EBC pads scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Won’t be home😖. Had time today, removed calipers. Individually pushed out each piston enough to clean with brake fluid. All push in easy. They weren’t hard to push in before the overheated rotors episode. Lubed contact areas lightly. Reassemble with EBC pads that had overheated. Raise front wheel. LOTS of drag hard to turn wheel. Remove right rotor. Still drags , little less though. Remove left caliper. Wheel spins nice , no bearing drag. Lower trike , raise FLH 2 wheeler. Front wheel has some drag but not any where near what trike had. Dual rotor as well, less drag than just 1 caliper on trike. EBC pads too thick? Have read random other forums and that issue has been alleged by others. Will see how the drag is when I get replacement pads. Going to try the V pad option EBC is sending.

Replacement EBC pads scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Won’t be home😖. Hade time today, removed calipers. Individually pushed out each piston enough to clean with brake fluid. All push in easy. They weren’t hard to push in before the overheated rotors episode. Lubed contact areas lightly. Reassemble with EBC pads that had overheated. Raise front wheel. LOTS of drag hard to turn wheel. Remove right rotor. Still drags , little less though. Remove left caliper. Wheel spins nice , no bearing drag. Lower trike , raise FLH 2 wheeler. Front wheel has some drag but not any where near what trike had. Dual rotor as well, less drag than just 1 caliper on trike. EBC pads too thick? Have read random other forums and that issue has been alleged by others. Will see how the drag is when I get replacement pads. Going to try the V pad option EBC is sending.
Check rotor runout.

As Road Dog posted, Rotor Run out is critical to know

Too much can cause bad JUJU for sure

If you do not have a gauge to check it you can rent one or check Amazon for one

Look here,

Z_uzLzqcpIx_.JPG

Yes I should check runout. Need to do the same on 2 wheeler as well. Its brake pads are on the way too. Using DP brakes on it. I do have a dial indicator to check.

New EBC V semi sintered that were supplied as a courtesy warranty installed today. Rechecked everything. Rotors good , cleaned and scuff sanded. Pistons free. Lightly lubed appropriate areas with copper never-seize. Fasteners torqued to spec. Less drag than the EBC HH pads , still more drag than FlH with DP pads. Rainy day, no test ride. So still waiting to see if rotors will get hot.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png