Hot Rotors After New Pads

Took front master cylinder line off. Front brake still drags. 😖

You will get it figured out by sticking to your plan, have you tried wiping out the inside of the Master cylinder and re flushing the fluid, use a Q tip to clean the compensator port in the bottom of the master first, then bleed the system. Over night bleeding with a vacuum bleeder works best

Next step I’m thinking is remove brake lines from calipers and see. There haven’t been any signs of trapped hydraulic pressure so far. Certainly hope it’s not the calipers. No US available rebuild kits that I can find for them. Have found a website from the Netherlands that claims to have them.

Will try again to clean pistons too. When I first put on the OEM pads and spun wheel after pumping out pistons the drag felt good. After test ride no good hard drag. So far I don’t think I’ve damaged the rotors but need to verify run out again. Have a trip in August that I need to have this issue solved by then. Also wanted to plan next year to Monument Valley. Right now all I have is an expensive garage ornament. Unrideable until fixed. Already too many overheat cycles trying out.

Pad wear after 40 Miles. Rotors had been ok. Might be toast now. Wheel off. Will check runout on neighbors truing stand. Pistons still push in ez.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpg
    IMG_4760.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 143
Pistons can be pushed in by fingers. Takes a bit of effort but doable. Pushing pistons out on right side while left caliper still on I used a wedge between pads to not possibly over extend pistons and when pads tight on wedge continue squeezing and you could see retraction of the pistons on release of lever. Left side just not enough hands to see same action but pistons push in by fingers.

Aftermarket pads to thick overheated and toasted rotors? Thinner OEM pads overheat because of toast rotors? I’m still at a loss. For now until budget allows for rotors no more trike riding. At least I’ve still got a 2 wheeler to help with my sanity.

Pad wear after 40 Miles. Rotors had been ok. Might be toast now. Wheel off. Will check runout on neighbors truing stand. Pistons still push in ez.

I would try unhooking the lines at the calipers, maybe a bad line? The pad on the right looks like its barely making contact as if it's not seating straight in the caliper? & the pads look like they got really HOT.

Friends 2017 TriGlide checked after ride. Rotors are warm could call hot. Jacked up , no where near the drag I’ve been getting. Shot with laser temp gun 120/130. Shot mine yesterday and it was 180/190. Rotors were ok at the start of this mess , still need to check on truing stand with dial indicator. Just about convinced that too thick EBC pads started my issue. Too many test rides and I’m guessing rotors are toast , will post when I know. Yes I didn’t clean pistons at first , just after issue started.

Master cylinder was removed and still had brake drag so not master cylinder. Before I test ride again I will remove brake hoses but I think since I can push in by hand there isn’t a hydraulic lock. Rear rotors with new EBC pads don’t get hot so I don’t suspect rear master cylinder dragging on the middle piston of front caliper. I have been able to observe the right caliper return action when off the bike and pumping front brakes tight against a wedge. EBC HH pads measured.390 EBC V pads measured.320 OEM pads measured.280.

I think that’s as complete a run down of all my findings. Sanded down the OEM pads , the discoloration came off so will reuse on what I suspect I will have new rotors. Probably put new rotors on even if runout checks out. They’ve been Hot Hot. Tomorrow at the earliest to order. Then wait for delivery. Still open to suggestions of anything I could have missed.

Right rotor 10/1000 run out manual specs 8/1000 max. Left rotor 2/1000 well within specs. Gonna change both. Runout itself shouldn’t cause hot rotors. Left side within specs and still getting hot. I’ve got to double down on finding hydraulic drag. Being able to push pistons in easily by hand still makes me think that it’s ok. Still hot rotors say something going on.

Yesterday after mounting Oem pads initially drag felt fine , comparable to my Flh. Short ride overheated rotors and drag has been stiff didn’t ease up with master cylinder removed. When putting on EBC pads both times harder to get over rotors. Didn’t really check drag with HH pads , shame on me. V pads from EBC first spin after installing good drag. Test ride and hot rotors. I’m definitely puzzled. So since twice drag felt good before test ride I’m definitely looking for ideas. Don’t want to overheat new rotors.

Right rotor 10/1000 run out manual specs 8/1000 max. Left rotor 2/1000 well within specs. Gonna change both. Runout itself shouldn’t cause hot rotors. Left side within specs and still getting hot. I’ve got to double down on finding hydraulic drag. Being able to push pistons in easily by hand still makes me think that it’s ok. Still hot rotors say something going on. Yesterday after mounting Oem pads initially drag felt fine , comparable to my Flh. Short ride overheated rotors and drag has been stiff didn’t ease up with master cylinder removed. When putting on EBC pads both times harder to get over rotors. Didn’t really check drag with HH pads , shame on me. V pads from EBC first spin after installing good drag. Test ride and hot rotors. I’m definitely puzzled. So since twice drag felt good before test ride I’m definitely looking for ideas. Don’t want to overheat new rotors.

Are the old pads completely worn out? If not Put them back on & try it? if the new pads are 100 thousand thicker I would think that would cause drag?

Old pads were thin and went out in the trash before I could test ride. Certainly didn’t see all these issues popping up.

New Rotors mounted. Bled and flushed again. Still more static drag than I like. Test ride and rotors hot compared to distance and stops and drag has increased slightly. Open front and rear bleeders still drags. Can get screwdriver between pads where the pad retaining pin is , little twist, don’t really see any piston movement. Drag is then less , pump lever drag doesn’t get worse. First test 5 miles 105 rotor temp didn’t try to pry on pads. Second 5 mile test drag didn’t really feel to increase but did the prying as I described rotor temp 115 3rd test ride 10 miles lot more drag when done 130 temp Pry on pads drag decreased. Might be an expensive trip to dealer.

You never did say if you removed the brake lines at the calipers?

I've been down that road before.

You can push in the pads so think the hose is good, but the static resistance was hindered because of a bad line....

No I haven’t removed the lines. Loosened both bleeders both sides and the drag did not decrease. There was not a spurt of fluid upon loosening that would have indicated trapped pressure. Just looking at it now and prying back pads and then hitting lever it travels farther than normal on first pull after pry. Indicates that piston pushed in, next pull normal as suspected.

New Rotors mounted. Bled and flushed again. Still more static drag than I like. Test ride and rotors hot compared to distance and stops and drag has increased slightly. Open front and rear bleeders still drags. Can get screwdriver between pads where the pad retaining pin is , little twist, don’t really see any piston movement. Drag is then less , pump lever drag doesn’t get worse. First test 5 miles 105 rotor temp didn’t try to pry on pads. Second 5 mile test drag didn’t really feel to increase but did the prying as I described rotor temp 115 3rd test ride 10 miles lot more drag when done 130 temp Pry on pads drag decreased. Might be an expensive trip to dealer.

Is the 130 the high temp that your getting ?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png