Battery died

TG Bob

Mar 29, 2016
Tehachapi, Ca, USA
Went to go for a breakfast ride this morning, hit the starter button and "click". Here are the particulars: 2012 Tri-Glide bought used, dealer installed a new battery as part of their trade-in servicing (according to service department invoice they gave me). It has been 2 1/2 years now since we bought the trike. We ride it all year long and if it sits for a few weeks (due to extreme heat or freezing cold) I have it on a battery tender. Volt meter shows a little over 14V at cruise speed. Last ride was Sunday and when we got home and stopped it restarted no problem to put it in the garage. No hint of impending doom - caught me by surprise only 2 days after our previous ride. Now, all my previous Harleys have easily gone 5 years on a battery (including 2 EFI bikes) so my question is how long have you gone on a battery in your trikes? Is there something particular about trikes that are hard on batteries or just my dumb luck to get a battery that failed early?

Excessive heat could be the culprit. Mine didn't die instantly, rather a slow death while I was on a trip. It was about the same age as yours and I also use a tender, but things happen.

I had a 2011 TG that had a battery suddenly die on me after 3 years. Had no problems with starting at all until one day we rode up to the local Applebee's to me some friends for supper. After eating we came out and got on the trike, hit the starter and "click". Nothing. Trying turning the ignition/off/fork lock switch through a couple cycles to see if it was just not making a connection and hit the starter button a few more times and nothing. Just happened that a friend came along in his pickup and had jumper cables we hooked up to start the trike. Got home and put on the trickle charger. Next morning I started it up with the charger still connected and rode it up to HD. Shop foreman hooked up the battery analyzer and ran some tests. Battery was shot and not putting out enough current to do anything. Had to replace it. He mentioned always keeping it on a tender to help prolong the battery life which I usually do but he also mentioned he has seen batteries go in two years and some in 8 years. My only complaint was that I had to pay $10. for the battery check plus the cost of the new battery. Dealer does give a 10% discount on parts to active local HOG members so I got about $18. off the bill.

Batteries are mysterious black box's......Some will last 10 years an some will last only weeks... And sometimes they give up the ghost without any warning..I changed the battery in my 11T/G after 4 years, It wasn't' going bad yet but i just figured it was time...And like i do with any new battery i buy.... Before i install it i fully charge it....

They can die suddenly. Had a fairly new battery in my SUV - about 18 months old. Anyway went on a road trip for 8 days back in may on my Tri-Glide and next day after I came home I went to run an errand in my SUV. Remote would not unlock door so I thought bad battery in the remote. Manually unlocked the door and put the key in to start and everything was DEAD. Heck it would not release the key!

Went to Auto Zone and they checked and replaced the battery and all was well then. They can be strange creatures for sure!

battery's can go overnight, when the sediment builds up in the bottom of the cell it contacts both positive and negative plates

it will short out most of the time with no warning

Thanks for your inputs. Never thought about heat but can certainly see where that can shorten battery life especially since trikes seem to run hot. I did do a load test. After charging the battery with a regular charger (made for AGM batteries) it was at 12.4V with a direct check by volt meter. With the meter still hooked to the battery I turned on the ignition and the voltage promptly dropped to 10.5V. With ignition and lights on I watched as the battery voltage dropped to 9.7V within 30 seconds. I'd say the battery was a goner. Hey DakotaTG, how did you mange to jump start your trike? I can't even see the battery terminals until I unclip the ECM and move it out of the way, disconnect 2 sensors, remove 2 bolts and pry the plastic tray out that covers the battery.

My TG OEM battery made is exactly 25 months. I noticed for about a month it was turning over a little slower when starting. I didn't wait until the very end but just went ahead and replaced it. Hoping the non Harley new battery will go at least 3 or 4 years.

My battery began the dreaded slow start the third day of my vacation. I had my Freewheeler in for service a couple of weeks prior to departure. I asked them to double everything, especaily the battery since it was the original.

I had it replaced at Doc's Harley in St. Louis on a Saturday afternoon, along with a tail light circuit board. They got me in and out within a couple of hours, also took me to my motel to relax while they were fixing it.

Went to go for a breakfast ride this morning, hit the starter button and "click". Here are the particulars: 2012 Tri-Glide bought used, dealer installed a new battery as part of their trade-in servicing (according to service department invoice they gave me). It has been 2 1/2 years now since we bought the trike. We ride it all year long and if it sits for a few weeks (due to extreme heat or freezing cold) I have it on a battery tender. Volt meter shows a little over 14V at cruise speed. Last ride was Sunday and when we got home and stopped it restarted no problem to put it in the garage. No hint of impending doom - caught me by surprise only 2 days after our previous ride. Now, all my previous Harleys have easily gone 5 years on a battery (including 2 EFI bikes) so my question is how long have you gone on a battery in your trikes? Is there something particular about trikes that are hard on batteries or just my dumb luck to get a battery that failed early?

Bob I put my trike on a battery tender ever time I get home after any ride, my battery last 5 to 6 year 90 % of the time

My battery began the dreaded slow start the third day of my vacation. I had my Freewheeler in for service a couple of weeks prior to departure. I asked them to double everything, especaily the battery since it was the original.

I had it replaced at Doc's Harley in St. Louis on a Saturday afternoon, along with a tail light circuit board. They got me in and out within a couple of hours, also took me to my motel to relax while they were fixing it.

Doc's is my chosen dealer. There are 5 HD dealers within a 40 mile area of St. Louis. Doc's takes care of a lot of travelers. :Dorag::cool:

Hey TG Bob, you pretty much covered exactly what you need to do in order to jump start the bike. Take the seat off, remove the plastic tray and all the stuff on that so all is out of the way then connect the jumper cables. Only thing is to make sure the donor vehicle is not running (at least according to my friend who has had Harley's for over 40 years and has had to jump start a few of them). Once your connected then start the bike, remove the jumper cables and then leave it running while you reinstall everything. Not too sure if that is the proper procedure for jump starting a Harley but that was what I did.

2016 Deep Jade Green and Black TG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png