Question Normal Ideal Operating Oil Temperatures

Looking forward to seeing how this works out...you should get a nice result in lower temps.

One thing I only now just thought about. Have you fully compressed the front forks (simulating hitting a big bump) to make sure there is clearance between your fender and the new oil cooler?

Kevin
Thank you for your input I tried to check that as best I could. The new oil cooler looses only about an 1/2 to 3/4" to the old OEM. I don't know of a way to fully compress the forks to see. As you can see there is a little difference I made every attempt to keep it as low as possible to avoid interference with the fender. Any suggestions on how to compress the forks would be greatly appreciated. ride safe Fred

compressing front forks

Thank you for your input I tried to check that as best I could. The new oil cooler looses only about an 1/2 to 3/4" to the old OEM. I don't know of a way to fully compress the forks to see. As you can see there is a little difference I made every attempt to keep it as low as possible to avoid interference with the fender. Any suggestions on how to compress the forks would be greatly appreciated. ride safe Fred

put the front wheel in a wheel chock and snug it down with tie downs

I ended up using a 3/8" piece of strap drilled and tapped the pictures here show R&D wood spacers for try and fit. Previous Pictures I used were with the 1" box iron.

DSC01503.JPG DSC01502.JPG

It's a bit of a PITA with the fairing, but ratchet straps is how we've done it in the past. I would Not use the handlebars.

The reason I thought of this is that I have seen a few 2 wheel Ultra's that have had a ding in the front fender after hitting a hard bump. The combination of totally compressing the front forks AND a bit of flex in the fork tubes ran the fender into the regulator.

Of course the TG has more rake, so that fender is further away, but it also seems like the oil cooler is sticking out further.

Probably no problem, just like to double check everything.

Kevin

Realistic, ideal oil temps for the Twin Cam on a Stage I Trike are in the 200-230 range, when measured at the oil tank. Of course, the oil is much hotter in the engine.

The reason for the 30 degree range is the oil will vary based on speed, load and ambient temps. I would not want to see over 230 when climbing a hill, at 70 mph, fully loaded on a 100* day.

Of course, on a shorter than 20 minute ride on a 50-60* day, level ground, it may not even reach 200*.

Unless you do a lot of short rides, I would not even bother with a thermostat. Why not give the engine and oil every chance possible to reduce temps by letting it flow immediately?

I regularly ride in the 30's and 40's and do not use a thermostat.

Kevin

Thinking about installing an oil cooler as described, says it mounts in the fairing behind the vents ? Looking at the picture , it don't look like any space left unless it mounts in front of the vents, is that where it goes?

image.jpeg

Thinking about installing an oil cooler as described, says it mounts in the fairing behind the vents ? Looking at the picture , it don't look like any space left unless it mounts in front of the vents, is that where it goes?

View attachment 82800
I believe the one Kevin uses is one that attaches to the frame upright on the front to the gooseneck. It may possibly be a Jagg oil cooler. I could be wrong though. Ride safe Fred

View attachment 82800

The Oil Cooler package for the Twin Cooled bikes (Twin Cam & M8) can be seen here, at this LINK, with a bunch of photos.

The Oil Cooler, which is a Jagg, combined with our patented Mounting bracket, mounts right behind the vent in the lower left fairing.

Here is a photo of it-

kip_r_dual_cool_oil_cooler.jpg

Here is a video with some more info on it-

Kevin

Still Waiting for warmer temperatures

Just to update this thread I'm ready to have the new mount welded and installed. I'm waiting for warmer temperatures, I have ridden the trike and checked the oil temps. however riding with air temps. at 55* the oil only goes to 185* and ET 208* and it would not be a good baseline comparison.

DSC01575.JPGDSC01576.JPGDSC01578.JPGDSC01496.JPGDSC01507.JPG Last two are close to fit on the larger oil cooler OEM is really small. Fred

Oil Temperature Location Measurement

Realistic, ideal oil temps for the Twin Cam on a Stage I Trike are in the 200-230 range, when measured at the oil tank. Of course, the oil is much hotter in the engine.

The reason for the 30 degree range is the oil will vary based on speed, load and ambient temps. I would not want to see over 230 when climbing a hill, at 70 mph, fully loaded on a 100* day.

Of course, on a shorter than 20 minute ride on a 50-60* day, level ground, it may not even reach 200*.

Unless you do a lot of short rides, I would not even bother with a thermostat. Why not give the engine and oil every chance possible to reduce temps by letting it flow immediately?

I regularly ride in the 30's and 40's and do not use a thermostat.

Kevin

Hi Kevin - when you say oil measured at the oil tank, using your mechanical gauge - could there be a difference in temperature for the oil being measured at the drain plug location - that is where my sensor is for my oil temperature gauge - should/could those two locations have similar readings?

Thanks

Hi Kevin - when you say oil measured at the oil tank, using your mechanical gauge - could there be a difference in temperature for the oil being measured at the drain plug location - that is where my sensor is for my oil temperature gauge - should/could those two locations have similar readings?

Thanks

If your sensor is at the drain of the oil tank, that is going to be very close to the same as a dipstick oil temp gauge.

If your sensor is at the drain plug found on the bottom of the engine, that temperature is going to be quite a bit hotter than at the tank. That is right below where the oil is being squirted onto the bottom of the pistons, which is where a huge amount of the heat comes from that is being absorbed by the oil.

Kevin

If your sensor is at the drain of the oil tank, that is going to be very close to the same as a dipstick oil temp gauge.

If your sensor is at the drain plug found on the bottom of the engine, that temperature is going to be quite a bit hotter than at the tank. That is right below where the oil is being squirted onto the bottom of the pistons, which is where a huge amount of the heat comes from that is being absorbed by the oil.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, your response and info is much appreciated.

Ron

Just to update this thread I'm ready to have the new mount welded and installed. I'm waiting for warmer temperatures, I have ridden the trike and checked the oil temps. however riding with air temps. at 55* the oil only goes to 185* and ET 208* and it would not be a good baseline comparison.

View attachment 84529View attachment 84530View attachment 84531View attachment 84532View attachment 84533 Last two are close to fit on the larger oil cooler OEM is really small. Fred

Dang, that thing is a beast .. I Love it ... that'll keep old shiny KEWL ... :D

Welded up getting closer to final install...

Well today I got the Mig welder out and attached the mounts to the adapter plate. bolted up the cooler and loosely installed the oil line fittings. I hope all goes well with the final fit. The last outing the oil only went to 215 degrees and I know it gets warmer than that. The air temp was only 60 degrees ET was 225 degrees not warm enough to get good baseline for comparison. I still need to get new oil lines next week.:DDSC01607.JPG Ride safe Fred

DSC01605.JPGDSC01606.JPGDSC01609.JPGDSC01608.JPGDSC01610.JPGDSC01604.JPG

Well today I got the Mig welder out and attached the mounts to the adapter plate. bolted up the cooler and loosely installed the oil line fittings. I hope all goes well with the final fit. The last outing the oil only went to 215 degrees and I know it gets warmer than that. The air temp was only 60 degrees ET was 225 degrees not warm enough to get good baseline for comparison. I still need to get new oil lines next week.:DView attachment 85354 Ride safe Fred

View attachment 85348View attachment 85349View attachment 85350View attachment 85351View attachment 85352View attachment 85353

This is really looking good! Very nice work.

Kevin

Update on oil cooler project

DSC01498.JPGToday was the best day we have had to ride that we could go. So here goes lowers were closed ET's were 230's so when I got home I put a thermometer in the oil and it went to 225 degrees. That being said air temps we around mid sixty's not warm enough to switch to the larger oil cooler in my estimation but soon I will make the swap. Patients is not my best gig you know. And by the way after swapping rear shocks to 13" Pro Actions and a comfort lift and rebuilding the front forks with the latest and best to date springs and valves it's like I pulled the gas cap off and run a new machine under it, and tightened it back down. Wow what a difference great suspension makes. I'm telling you Pro Action is the real deal. Ride safe Fred

Update on oil cooler temps.

With air temperatures in the 60's eng. 230 degrees and oil temperatures 225. Now air temperatures in 70's low 70's eng. Temp 230-240 oil temps still 225. I'm waiting for a day of 80's then do the swap. I seriously don't think a warmer day is going to change oil temperatures cause old Shi ey runs at 230-240 all the time just sayin... Ride safe Fred

Today 92* motor temp 238* to 240*. When I got home motor oil was 237* 45seconds after shutdown. I will change cooler tomorrow evening. Now th fun begins. Ride safe Fred

Not too bad of numbers considering, I bet they go down with your new cooler hooked up:clapping:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png