Handeling corners & curves?

I tried the board thing but didn't really like it. Now I just lean my upper body a tiny bit into the turn. On sharper turns I squeeze the gas tank with my inside knee. Same effect as pushing down on the other side

For me to get out of town I have to deal with switchbacks and tight mountain turns. I lean to the inside just enough to "straight arm" the outside handle bar and take the load off my arms and at the same time put pressure on the outside leg to keep centered. In the hard tight turns I use my knees. So, I guess I am +1 for all these suggestions. The point is to do what you are comfortable with. I know that my trike can corner harder than I can, WHOOPIE!

Staying up with the two wheelers was the reason I went with the Solid Rear axle. :Shrug: I have a Champion kit on my 2007 Honda VTX 1800. Love it and I DO stay up with the two wheelers....regardless of what they are on.......and I am 68 years old.

I'm new to triking and just took ownership of a 2007 VTX 1800 F Champion! I love it and got broke in on it in about 200 mi. I ride with a Chapter of 2 wheelers ( 30 of them ) and have no problem keeping up with them. I thought i'd need to back out of the turns more then I do but not so!! Maybe just a little on the tight ones but catch up quickly! I run at the rear except for our drag rider,an organization rule!!! I ride 2 up 75% of the time with my wife. We have a Solid Axel !!!

Tire pressure is critical when talking about the handling of a trike. Most tend to think the tire pressure in the rear tires are suppose to be comparable to car tires since they are car tires but that is not the case.

The Wolf and John pointed out, do lean into the curves. This wil reduce the feeling you are being pushed to the outside of the curve. Also helps to push down on the outside footpeg - that will also help counteract the push away from the inside of the curve. Also it uses your leg to keep you upright instead of arms, mid and upper body muscles. Helps make it easier to steer. Wolf suggested taking a curve out & in. They teach that in the MSF riding classes. It is not only smoother line, you can also see further through a curve, so it's safer. Technical term is a "late apex". Generally good riding techneque on 2 or 3 wheels.

The MSF also taught "Slow, Look, Lean and Roll" to go through a curve. We don't lean, but slow slightly, look through the curve then power through. As john mentioned, use both arms - push and pull. If I have the backrest on, I also use that to push against. Again, not using the body muscles as much.

hdrider axes:Once you get the hang of it do you feel you can stay with or outperform a good rider on 2 wheels? Yep. A good trike pilot can keep up with most of the riders out there. I was going down the Pig Trail (locally famous for it's curves) to camp at a rally, and I kept having to brake in the curves for a pair of sportbikes ahead of me. They'd pull away on the straights, I would catch up on the twisties. They were dragging pegs, not hanging off on the turns. (I would guess good riders, not racers) They weren't too happy I was keeping up with their race replicas.

They were even more surprised when we stopped and saw I was pulling the Bunkhouse camper. I've always been able to keep up with cruisers and touring bikes. Sometimes a bit slower from a stop becouse of the extra weight, but right there wanting to pass in short order.

You can outperform two wheelers but who cares. Arkansas has switchbacks galore and really nasty curves in the mountains. I ride outside in and power through the curves leaning in remembering a golden rule -- look as far ahead as possible. You need to be careful if you have no shoulders on your roads, they are not very wide or the curves are blind. Outside-in is a general rules, but you need to consider the width of the road as well. I have seen several bad accidents when cherries (newbies) came down a mountain to fast and crashed (on curves) into riders going up hill. If you have no shoulders and a road that is not very wide, you will know when you feel safe and when you feel terrified. RIDE WITHIN YOUR CAPABILITY and forget about who is faster.

Does not matter.

RiverDoc

I have to agree with most here, I can for the most part out ride most 2 wheelers in the twist's and bends of mountain passes. I have had several friends question me as to why I was going so fast and I just replied "I was just riding and having fun." I wasn't out to outrun them, it just happened. I asked them why they were going so slow and their response was, "We were just slowing down for the curves, and you just kept pulling away." It took my a little while to learn how to ride with 3 wheels versus 2, but I wouldn't go back. Time in the saddle and the right setup (tire pressure and suspension stiffness) are key too.:D

Once you get the hang of it do you feel you can stay with or outperform a good rider on 2 wheels?

I feel that way and have proven it. I ride with a number of two wheel riders in a group. Most of them have been riding for several years. I have yet to have any of them keep up with me thru the turns. I have a 2012 Goldwing with a 2013 Hannigan Trike kit. I have been riding for 60 + years. I have owned many different types and kinds of motorcycles over the years, so I might just have a little experience in the handling area.

I was turning left in a corner over a brigde around the chicago area when I hit an expandsion hump. My front end wanted to go straight. That's not a good feeling at 55-65mph. Thought I was going to hit the cement guard rail. You would get that on 2whs.

I would want to bet it was because on the smooth surface on the expandsion plate . On two wheels it would not be noticeable .:qpnmt:

On my Trike, I could run through corners faster than "most" Cruiser Riders, about the same as really good Cruiser Riders...about the same as "average" Sport Bike Riders, slower than "good" Sport Bike Riders.....I'm still realistically faster through corners on 2 wheels than 3, in this order, #1 the fastest and moving down:

#1 Sport Bike
#2 Sport Touring/Motard
#3 250cc-650cc Scooter
#4 Cruiser (certain "ill-handlers" don't make this category)
#5 Trike
#6 Under 200cc Scooters

"SPEED" is such an irrelevant thing.....Learning to ride SMOOTH and seldom using Your Brakes is the key.....if You master SMOOTH, "FAST" will just happen.....GOOD LUCK, PRACTICE OFTEN, and STAY SAFE.....ThumbUp

ThumbUp,,,I got to agree ,,,,I stopped challenging the curves when I got a trike and began to enjoy the ride ,,,,besides I can't rub the floorboards on this thing and if I do OOPS :D

a bunch of my friends have started a riders association at our local lodge. group riding is a real challenge to our riders club. I think the less experienced riders want to go too fast and don't think to look in there mirrors for the group and weaving in and out of traffic on the interstate. To spread the blame a little, we also have older riders who think they are bullet proof and want to show the younger ones how its done.

I (as v.p.) have talked to my road captains and instructed them to try and be able to keep the first and last bike in view at all times and to give enough room when passing so every one can see whats up, but it seems the road takes over .

We are planning to have a class from a safety instructor soon. I hope it helps. I have found that very few of us have ridden in a group of more than 3 or 4 bikes . one guy has less than 1 yr. on any kind of motorcycle.

As for me, I like riding sweep and knowing where the next planned stop is.

My front wheel doesn't seem to want to stay hooked up or on track and will push, even slide, to the outside of the curve. If you hit a bump in a curve it will get worse so you really have to be mindful of just how much the front wheel can take. I'm not really talking about a lot of speed either.. maybe 45 to 50 through a "normal" mountain curve on a blacktop road. Less than 40 through a really tight curve.
DITCH that front tire.
Michelin Pilot actv reverse rotation, you will NOT regret it!!!!

I feel that way and have proven it. I ride with a number of two wheel riders in a group. Most of them have been riding for several years. I have yet to have any of them keep up with me thru the turns. I have a 2012 Goldwing with a 2013 Hannigan Trike kit. I have been riding for 60 + years. I have owned many different types and kinds of motorcycles over the years, so I might just have a little experience in the handling area.

I just purchased a 12 with a brand new Hannigan kit 5 wks ago. Before that I owned a 04 with a CSC. I have the sensation that the Hannigan "leans" more than the CSC did. Do you get that sensation?

I wrote Hannigan and they said it is just the suspension difference and I would get used to the difference. What was your experience with this issue when you got the Hannigan installed? Thanks.

Being a snowmobiler and ATV rider acclimating to a trike was very natural for me. ( I have 108k on 4 different trikes)
Here is my trick, when going into a corner hard say a left hander, lock your right arm and lean your body left. your arm will act as a post and provide positive feedback in the corner. Same holds true for right hand corners as you just lock your left arm and lean into it.
Using this technique I can actually cause tire squeal yet have total control. In most cases a trike will out corner a stock 2 wheel cruiser or tour bike.
It is virtually impossible to tip a trike so the hardest part is not becoming a lawn dart. The lock arm and lean approach keeps you planted on the bike.
Try it and work your speeds up slowly and I think you will do well.

This problem has been around for years ( BT ) before trikes . One guy figured that it is more relaxed turning the throttle up in a left sweep than a right . U really have to concentrate on turning you wrist inward while turning the bar outward. Think about it when riding next time.

I've been led to believe that the roads are "crowned" to the outside to aid in drainage when it rains. When you turn right you're leaning into the curve. Turning left pushes you away. I also have a Roadsmith which the original poster had. I wonder if the longer wheelbase creates more "body-roll". I recently made an appointment to have the performance sway bar installed with the hope it will improve the corner handling.

Million Dollar HWY north of Durango

:gah:Taking my first trike trip, first day Durango to Ouray this is a a steep and curvy road. A little scared taking my wife and she doesn't really ride. I hope my 2002 1800 Goldwing CSC has enough power to handle it.

:gah:Taking my first trike trip, first day Durango to Ouray this is a a steep and curvy road. A little scared taking my wife and she doesn't really ride. I hope my 2002 1800 Goldwing CSC has enough power to handle it.

Your Wing will handle it,easily. Just take it easy on the Million Dollar Highway. A lot of corners don't have any guardrails.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png