Reverse Motor

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Vivid Black Trike that was put HD shop because I am retarded and ran into the back of someone. I explained this in another thread a while back. Well the dealership called me back and said that my reverse motor was "out." They removed it from the bike and tested it. They now have another motor on order under factory warranty. Has anyone else had any reverse issues?

If mine ever goes out I am putting on a mechanical type. Probably Champion Reverse Gear

There has been some issues with the reverse motors but not many reported on this forum. If mine went bad and was not under warranty I certainly would not replace it in like kind.

Mine went out last Sat. and is going in today for repair. Appears that all supporting systems to the motor are working, just the motor is not. It did not trip the circuit breaker either. The last few times I used it before it quit I could tell it was getting weak.

Sam

If mine went bad and was not under warranty I certainly would not replace it in like kind.

Oldmsocko, I agree with you, if this happens again warranty or not the motor will be gone. What reverse kits would you consider?

Sam

I don't like the electric reverse on the tri-glide or a gold wing. I feel the after market reverse kits are way better... Just my opinion.

I feel Champion is the best in the under $1,500.00 market... with Baker being the best..but they're not cheap! :AGGHH:

I have a champion reverse on mine also and it works very well. Keep in mine though that with the Champion reverse you can be in reverse and a forward gear at the same time when you let the clutch out. :AGGHH:

I had my reverse go out on my street glide ; still under warranty though . Now I try to make sure I park in a way that I can just pull out , just so it doesn't get used too often !! Rediculous !

I had my reverse go out on my street glide ; still under warranty though . Now I try to make sure I park in a way that I can just pull out , just so it doesn't get used too often !! Rediculous !

I hear you brother... It's like not wearing new shoes because you might wear them out. Or better yet... Not starting your car because the battery might die and pushing your car around town gets a little hard on the soul!

Now don't jump on me.. but I feel HD could have done a little better with the reverse on the tri-glide???? :Shrug:

If the Champion is not electric, how does it work?

It installs in the right end of the transmission. you put the trike in neutral and put it in reverse and use the clutch just like normal driving. Just have to make sure the transmission is in Neutral or it will be locked up and kill the motor.

If the Champion is not electric, how does it work?

Champion adds three gears to the end of the tranny shafts. Shift lever drops the third gear down between the two bolted to the end of the tranny shafts. Bike in neutral, drop reverse shifter to engage middle gear, you are in reverse. If the champion unit is engaged and you drop the bike into gear, you could do damage. Personal policy and practice are the only protection you have.

Champion adds three gears to the end of the tranny shafts. Shift lever drops the third gear down between the two bolted to the end of the tranny shafts. Bike in neutral, drop reverse shifter to engage middle gear, you are in reverse. If the champion unit is engaged and you drop the bike into gear, you could do damage. Personal policy and practice are the only protection you have.

You would think there would be an inter-lock switch to prevent placing the bike in gear until the bike is taken out of reverse.

I got my bike back today from the local HD shop and I hope that I have no more problems with the reverse motor or anything else. Way too much money to have so many issues.

I have a Champion and it works great. The electric ones are also slow. Don't know why HD put an electric one on a $30,000+ bike.

Don't know why HD put an electric one on a $30,000+ bike.

Harley believes in cheap and idiot proof. They couldn't keep people from twisting the cranks on their 07 Touring bikes when they first increased the stroke due to lugging them. So the fix was to go with throttle by wire and torque management, warranty work dropped considerably once they controlled how far the throttle could be open at lower RPM's.

Get rid of Harleys junk reverse gear and have a Baker 6 Speed Reverse installed, Champion has a good Reverse, but Baker is the best on the market and with Baker there is no way you can get it in any other gear. when you get done backing up you just come back upm to first gear. I am a Trike Dealer and have installed several Reverse gears and Baker is fail safe.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png