Which Reverse?

Strohkr

100+ Posts
Sep 16, 2010
NORTH DAKOTA
I'm in the process of triking my 2007 HD Road King and have the option of a mechancial or electric reverse. I have absolutely no clue which one would is better or would work better and the info from the dealer and factory isn't helping much either.

Any of you have any clue whatsoever which way to go and why? I'd sure appreciate some input as I don't want to do the wrong one!

Thanks much!!

Greg

The electrical reverse came standard on my TG but if it was up to me I'd use a mechanical unit. I've had several instances of tripping the breaker trying to back up a grade. It's a pain in the (deleted) taking the seat off to reset it. - Russ

I suggest Champion reverse (mechanical) I have the AIM reverse which is very similar. The Champion is just a little better in my opinion though.

I have the Baker Drivetrain reverse installed in my tranny. Pricey even by HD standards (nearly $4k for the reverse installed with new belt/30 tooth drive pulley), but everything works perfectly as advertised. And best of all, it works as if was a factory design (shifts with the foot shifter just as with other gears). Put tranny in first gear, touch a relay button on the handlebar, and mash down again with your toe - that's reverse! Pull up with your toe (no relay needed) and you're back in first gear.

I'm in the process of triking my 2007 HD Road King and have the option of a mechancial or electric reverse.
Greg

What trike kit are you using? Some of the electric units on the aftermarket kits are pretty good, that is compared to the HD factory TG reverse.

I have champion reverse in two of my bikes, one is also a '07 RoadKing, never had a problem with either. Easy to install and use.
Wife had the electric reverse fall apart on her TriGlide a few months or more after it was out of warrenty. HD sent me a new one free of charge otherwise it also would have a champion reverse.

with the new triglides electric reverse it puts so much strain on the electrical system I would go back to a mechanical anyday..I am surprised more people dont have more issues with the eletrical systems on the triglides..

The electrical reverse came standard on my TG but if it was up to me I'd use a mechanical unit. I've had several instances of tripping the breaker trying to back up a grade. It's a pain in the (deleted) taking the seat off to reset it. - Russ
thats right the first year they put them under the seat..now they are on the right side under the sidecover..

I'm doing the Motor Trike Gladiator kit and I have the option of either electric or mechancial reverse. The dealer has been pushing the electric option but I think that because he said it's easier to install.
I did talk to a Motor Trike factory tech rep and he said you can control the mechanical reverse better because you use both throttle and clutch to operate it whereas the electric has one speed only. I need to back out of a tight garage space so I think I'm going to go with the mechancial instead.
Thanks for all the replies - it helps a lot to get your opinions.
Greg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yantwohands
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png