Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

Re: Ride Report- Mississippi to Alaska & Back - Pic Heavy

It was a bit further off the highway than we expected, but it was a nice road....most of the way.

Meridian28_zps9791229b.jpg

Here's what we went to see.

Meridian29_zps4d9c7047.jpg

This was the last 100 yards of about 1/2 mile of gravel. We had thought we were done with gravel, but here we are, on it again. lol

Meridian30_zpseac39eaf.jpg

Then a few cattle guards....

Meridian31_zps571a272b.jpg

and we are back on road the TG was made for! :)

Meridian32_zpse19c7d56.jpg

Beautiful country.

Meridian33_zps4632034f.jpg

We both feel more at home on the TG than almost anywhere else.

Meridian34_zps17bb2d42.jpg

Just fantastic riding!

Meridian35_zps185d20bd.jpg

I should have stopped here for gas. Don't know why I didn't. Brain fart or just enjoying the road...???

Meridian36_zps4262dac0.jpg

More in next post.

We have turned more south and it gets quite a bit warmer, different terrain, arid and not much of anything except some fun riding and lots of cloud pics for Mary.

Meridian37_zps62a9ed3f.jpg

Meridian38_zpscb8ff53c.jpg

We are making some good time, and thoroughly enjoying the ride!

Meridian39_zpseb57b95b.jpg

Don't know why she was riding the wrong way on the shoulder, guess she lost something and was looking for it.

We slowed to help, but she waved us off.

Meridian40_zps7110eabb.jpg

This was another pass, with lots of curves and some nice steep climbs. I opened it up, still not concerned about fuel.

Meridian41_zps45ed481e.jpg

More in next post.

A look back...somewhere along here I realized...I should have stopped for fuel in Baker...I kept thinking there has to be a town with gas...but, nothing. Just high desert.

(Our gas can is empty...and there really was no reason for needing it...IF I would stop for gas. lol)

Meridian42_zps5af1d9bd.jpg

The last 30 miles to Ontario I went into fuel conserving mode of riding. We are both happy to see a gas station!

Meridian43_zps719c54e0.jpg

Being as it is only a 6 gallon tank, I think we used pretty much everything that was in there. lol

Meridian44_zps61936d58.jpg

From Ontario it is less than an hour to Marys' moms house.

Meridian45_zpsf14fe582.jpg

Sun is setting as we hit the outskirt of Meridian.

Meridian46_zpsc6d7ff46.jpg

Made it. No pushing, hitch-hiking or begging fuel. Just a fantastic day of riding in Oregon!

Meridian47_zps45bacb02.jpg

Next report is from Meridian to Missoula...the only day EVER, in 45 years of riding, that I got tired of curves and twistys before the road ran out of them. :)

,,,,Great pics ,,,,Keven I was born in Tacoma Wash. dad was in the military but we left when I was young and I've never been back ,,,,,maybe one day . It was great just to see a few pics of it though .

Cool!

I have certainly enjoyed making this trip with you via your great chronicle. Just a couple of questions:
What type boots did you purchase along the way?
Have a great day!
Jim

Thank you!

I really hesitated to spending $175 on a pair of boots, but they have kept my feet warm and dry. It was not planned, but nice that I bought them at the HD dealership in Montana where there is no sales tax!

They are called the HD Men's Black Lynx Motorcycle Boot.

You need to just let the company run itself and travel full time (posting here every day of course!). Fantastic story and pictures!

You need to just let the company run itself and travel full time (posting here every day of course!). Fantastic story and pictures!

That's what I want Marge...a "run itself company", and I guarantee I'll take Your advice on the "Travel-n-Post Here" Thingie......:laugh: ;)

It was great to see your travels documented so well. I just went to Sturgis for bike week for the first time and will say that I loved every mile of the trip. I have never seen so much corn in my life as I did traveling through Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Beautiful country.

Now that's a ride. If only more time.

Thank you! Still more to come. I'm going to post Part I of the ride from Meridian to Missoula in a couple of hours.

:) :) :)

Yeah, if I could figure that out...that is what I would do!!!!

That's what I want Marge...a "run itself company", and I guarantee I'll take Your advice on the "Travel-n-Post Here" Thingie......:laugh: ;)

I want one of those 'run itself companies' as well. Sounds like the perfect thing to get just before retirement!

It was great to see your travels documented so well. I just went to Sturgis for bike week for the first time and will say that I loved every mile of the trip. I have never seen so much corn in my life as I did traveling through Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. Beautiful country.

Thank you!

Yeah, lots of flat straight riding thru those States. Seeing all the work they do in farming made me thankful they do it so we can buy food at the store.

PART 1 of the ride from Meridian, ID to Missoula, MT.

When we pulled into Meridian I noticed we had an oil leak. The next day I tracked it down. One of the oil filter lines was leaking.

Knowing this is a weakness, I have always carried extra line and hose clamps with me.

It was time for an oil change and filter cleaning anyway. So I spent a couple of hours changing out all the hoses, not just the one leaking. Changed the oil and cleaned the oil filter. Installed new spark plugs per the maintenance schedule.

We spent a couple of very nice day visiting Mary's mom and nephew. (also did laundry and since we were now in some warmer temps, picked up a couple of those neck towels that you snap and they get cold)

Here we are ready to leave after some good family time.

Missoula1a_zps85b62f6e.jpg

Mary and her mom.

Missoula1_zps0fda60fa.jpg

Didn't take long to get out of the city and start climbing out of the high desert toward Boise National Forest (55 toward McCall).

Missoula2_zps07d8bf55.jpg

This is a route we have traveled once before, so I knew we were in for a good day of riding!

Missoula3_zps1d842c32.jpg

That is a LOT of high desert....

Missoula4_zps4b4f3130.jpg

and some really fun road!

Missoula5_zps1233e56b.jpg

We followed this river (Payette River) for quite a while. Sometimes it is calm....

Missoula6_zpsd8e1086a.jpg

and sometimes it is rapids. The road beside it is a great riding road, and there is very little traffic today.

Missoula7_zpse030e658.jpg

More in next post.

We're out of the high desert, into the forest now. It's a bit cooler, road is still great!

Check out Mary's camera technique in the mirror! :)

Missoula8_zps47a7cae5.jpg

Beautiful country!

Missoula9_zpsfdf0d9c0.jpg

Lots of curves!

Missoula10_zps474b2ae2.jpg

Just a great day to be riding!

Missoula10_zps474b2ae2.jpg

We are climbing this entire time, headed toward a huge valley that has several towns in it, the biggest being McCall.

Missoula11_zpsade511f2.jpg

Here we are passing thru the southernmost part of the high valley.

Missoula12_zps12ee5c98.jpg

There is a small pass that we rode over to get to the rest of the valley.

Missoula13_zps16257ccf.jpg

Soon after we hit McCall, which is quite the tourist destination.

Missoula14_zps4878776c.jpg

We make it thru the traffic of McCall and start climbing again, out of the valley, thru some nice woods on a great riding road!

Missoula15_zpse5bda663.jpg

I don't know how many hundreds of curves we have ridden already today...but it is only a warm-up for what is coming.

Will get PART 2 of this days ride up soon.

Looks absolutely awesome. We just went on a 4000 mile trip and I knew it was too short. We were up on some of those passes better than 10000 ft and one grade of 10 degrees most weren't that bad. Awesome views!

Looks absolutely awesome. We just went on a 4000 mile trip and I knew it was too short. We were up on some of those passes better than 10000 ft and one grade of 10 degrees most weren't that bad. Awesome views!

Thank you, we had a great time and made a lot of memories.

Thats an impressive ride. Enjoy!

There are more pics coming. :)

I am sorry I have been so far behind in getting the rest of the ride pics up.

Been busy getting the Sporty ready for the Hot Bike Power Tour...and Custom work always seems to take more time than expected.

Heading out in the morning.

Starts in Little Rock, AR and ends up in Racine, WI. Will be 2000+ miles

I reckon there will be more than a few Trikes on the ride. Will get pics and post em up when I return.

Gonna be gone a week. This is what I'm riding.

Sporty8234_zpse54cd32f.jpg

Will have a bag on the sissy bar and a roll above the headlight.

This is the opposite end of the touring spectrum from the ride Mary and I just got back from on the Tri-Glide.

After I return I will get the rest of the Alaska trip pics up. :)

ThumbUp.....nice scooter Kevin,,,,, good luck with the ride and don;t forget the MONKEY BUTT,,,,,:laugh::laugh:

That wasn't the tetons my friend. Those were the Bighorns. The Tetons were about three hundred miles west of you around Jackson Hole, wyo.

Hi Kevin. I followed your whole trip on the HD forum and just joined this site and saw your here as well. I'm looking into buying a trike and thought this was a great start for info. The more I saw your fun and with same body issues I think a trike is the way to go. Thanks again for the great ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png